End of Story Previews & Sneak Peeks

Naughtylit81

Dirty Daddy
In books sometimes you get a preview of the next book or a sample from another series by that author or in that genre. has anyone ever done the same with the stories they post here? Put a small preview or snippet from the next story or another story you are working on to see if you get any comments for that next work? If so what reaction did you get?

In books sometimes you get a preview of the next book or a sample from another series by that author or in that genre. has anyone ever done the same with the stories they post here? Put a small preview or snippet from the next story or another story you are working on to see if you get any comments for that next work? If so what reaction did you get?

No, but I do it with the books I have on sale. I kinda don't see the need to do this on a site where stories are just free anyway, especially with rules that prohibit me from posting teasers.

No, but I do it with the books I have on sale. I kinda don't see the need to do this on a site where stories are just free anyway, especially with rules that prohibit me from posting teasers.
I have not seen that rule before. Is it a prohibition against doing stand alone teasers or does it also limit doing something at the end of a full work?

As to the need, it is more about keeping those people who enjoy my work excited and engaged in looking for it. Just a nice to do for people who are fans.

I haven't done it, but I can see it being fun, especially since it often takes me a little while to post subsequent chapters. I'm picturing it as something akin to "Jay and Silent Bob will return in..."

I'm going to be re-editing some currently posted stories so I think I'll add some teasers. The cool thing about one of those stories is that there's side stories outside of the numbered chapters, They're included in the series but adding teasers will help a lot.

As a reader, I hate it. I hate thinking I'm 90% through a book only to find the story coming to an end - sadness - and something tonally different starting.

As a reader, I hate it. I hate thinking I'm 90% through a book only to find the story coming to an end - sadness - and something tonally different starting.
I've had readers complain about the opposite
We're a Wonderful Wife has 14 chapters, I announced that Chapter 14 was the end, that it will close out the story and it ended on a high note
I got several complaints that 14 was too soon and they wanted more even before Chapter 13 was posted.

I've added a teaser to the stories of a private detective and his novelist helper and usually I get at least one comment saying the reader is anxiously waiting on the next. I've never gotten a comment that the teaser was distracting or upsetting, but it always comes after the "ending" of the story.

Back