Do you salt your watermelon?

I don't really care for watermelon, but if I ever do eat it, I don't put salt on it. I don't salt any fruit; it makes it taste weird to me. And salted tomatoes? Yuck.

I also don't like grits. I'd say I fail at being at redneck, but I think we all know better than that.

forgive me-- now that I reread it, it doesn't make any sense to me either:eek:
No problem. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

Yeah, yeah... and the published recommendations for sodium intake are mostly BS. Even my last cardiologist admitted that the AMA guidelines for salt intake for those with cardiac issues (like me and my 5 heart attacks) was irrational and substantially lower than necessary - like 50% of a realistic level.

I admitted to him that my salt intake was higher than it probably should be, but the alternative was to fill up on sweet things and beef and such that would bounce my cholesterol levels off the roof. He agreed that for me at least, a somewhat higher than the "recommended" amount of salt was almost certainly better than building up my cholesterol count, especially since all my heart attacks were caused by arterial buildup, not blood pressure. (Of course, he said the *ideal* solution would be to lower my sodium intake AND my intake of cholesterol-producing foodstuffs. Yeahhhh... like that's gonna happen. :rolleyes: )
Carry on then.

I rarely use salt on fruit but on watermelon its the shizzy...rad avatar BTW!
Thanks.

And now you've all made me curious. Next time I have watermelon I'll try it.

Not to be a nag or anything, but you southern people do know about the health risks associated with high salt intake, right?

We're not putting a tablespoon of salt on every single bite, come ON! :rolleyes: A teensy sprinkle just to enhance the flavor. If you've never seen it done, you can't know for SURE that EVERYONE uses a lot on their melon, so, go sit down. :cool:

No problem. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

Carry on then.

Thanks.

And now you've all made me curious. Next time I have watermelon I'll try it.
DO IT! Then come back to this post and tell me if was everything we made it to be!

I can't say much about salting fruit, but I love grits, and I'm pretty sure I know every place in my yankee neighborhood that serves 'em. All two of them. It was three, but one of them closed :(

Occasionally I salt my melonm but watermelon is pretty amazing all on its own. Along with most fruits

We're not putting a tablespoon of salt on every single bite, come ON! :rolleyes: A teensy sprinkle just to enhance the flavor. If you've never seen it done, you can't know for SURE that EVERYONE uses a lot on their melon, so, go sit down. :cool:

Applause

I can't say much about salting fruit, but I love grits, and I'm pretty sure I know every place in my yankee neighborhood that serves 'em. All two of them. It was three, but one of them closed :(

I make cheesy grits and shrimp. Da bomb!

I'll toss in my vote for "no". The only things I salt are eggs and homemade soups, and that's because we don't add any salt to the soup at all when cooking it.

Otherwise, fresh ground pepper is my weapon of choice. There's so much natural sodium in a lot of foods, nevermind prepared or restaurants meals, that I don't see a reason to add any (no matter how small). Additionally, low salt intake, for me, makes less go further and makes my tongue more sensitive.

Queers reset the American table, darling. :cool:

God bless 'em for it, too.

--

I very, very rarely grab the salt when I'm out of the house. Here, I do, largely because viv is not one that likes salt, so she never uses it when she cooks. As a result, I will toss some on foods that need it. As to watermelon (which I don't usually care for), as Satindesire said, it's just a little sprinkle. If you gob it on, it will ruin the flavour. It's more like the little dash that Stella mentioned in cookies.

As to the risks, meh. Even with my occasional BP issues, I've never had a doctor tell me to lower my salt intake. A skosh of salt on a melon isn't gonna kill me.

Not to be a nag or anything, but you southern people do know about the health risks associated with high salt intake, right?

We need to give him a slice of country ham. Yikes.

I've been eating the lite salt for a years now. And I don't always salt watermelon. Only eat it about one or twice a year

I always add salt to my dishes -- to almost everything -- it brings out flavors. I don't eat processed foods, fast food, etc. My blood pressure has always been good actually.

I understood that you're just sprinkling.

1/4 teaspoon of salt = 600 mg of sodium.

It's ridiculous how fast salt intake adds up, especially for people who eat processed foods.

I'm not nagging; just mentioning it. If this isn't a problem for you, then it isn't a problem for you. No need to be defensive.

I always add salt to my dishes -- to almost everything -- it brings out flavors. I don't eat processed foods, fast food, etc. My blood pressure has always been good actually.
Yeah, processed foods are just loaded with the stuff. Soups, spaghetti sauce, and so on.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/articles/display_story.html?id=6411

Country ham is cured in salt. Looks like Obama is going to outlaw it. It's almost like eating pure salt with some texture.
Wow, that chick's a master at alarmist headlines.

But at least she provides a link to the original piece. Which notes -

"In a complicated undertaking, the FDA would analyze the salt in spaghetti sauces, breads and thousands of other products that make up the $600 billion food and beverage market, sources said. Working with food manufacturers, the government would set limits for salt in these categories, designed to gradually ratchet down sodium consumption. The changes would be calibrated so that consumers barely notice the modification."

Yeah, processed foods are just loaded with the stuff. Soups, spaghetti sauce, and so on.

Yes, I think those kinds of foods are the big culprits. You just have to check the label.

Mister Man is concerned about nitrates, but I really don't want to give up my prosciutto. I'm hopeful that it's worse in crappy products, but something tells me that is way wishful thinking on my part.

http://www.carolinajournal.com/articles/display_story.html?id=6411

Country ham is cured in salt. Looks like Obama is going to outlaw it. It's almost like eating pure salt with some texture.

I can't remember the last time I had ham, but one thing you can do is soak the product first if you get it raw. We used to get salt cured bacon from a local farm, and we would soak it to remove the salt. Also, anchovies. Mario Batali recommends soaking them in milk actually.

Back