Do you salt your watermelon?

Watermelon makes good pickles.

I like the combination of green apples and garlic/salt paste too.

I don't put salt on it directly, but I like it with salty flavors like feta cheese. I also have a recipe for a cucumber watermelon tsatziki salad or something that was very good.

No. And I've never seen anyone else salt a watermelon, either.

I've also never had grits of any kind.

Or salt or garlic with apples. Or watermelon in tsatziki.

No offense, but you people are weird. ;)

There's this little coffee shop that does some incredible stuff with their food in general. Anyway, they serve poached eggs on grits that is gorgeous. Bits of bacon, virginia ham, coarse ground black pepper, added cream, bits of cheese. Dayum!

I would never salt an apple. But I have put peanuts in a bottle of Coke.

I'm the odd one out around most of my family that's never left the deep south because I hardly salt anything (other than following a recipe or grits or eggs), especially not my fruit. The taste of salty things and sweet together (definitely seconding the notion of prosciutto and melon) is still very, very good, but for some reason I seem more sensitive to salt than most. I prefer to use other spices and flavorings other than salt when I can.

I'm the odd one out around most of my family that's never left the deep south because I hardly salt anything (other than following a recipe or grits or eggs), especially not my fruit. The taste of salty things and sweet together (definitely seconding the notion of prosciutto and melon) is still very, very good, but for some reason I seem more sensitive to salt than most. I prefer to use other spices and flavorings other than salt when I can.

My dad is like that. He uses way less salt than anyone else I know.

I season everything heavily. I love spices and herbs and have a ton of both in my pantry. We were thinking about growing some fresh herbs in our garden once we get it started! For now, the spice aisle will have to do us.

I season everything heavily. I love spices and herbs and have a ton of both in my pantry. We were thinking about growing some fresh herbs in our garden once we get it started! For now, the spice aisle will have to do us.

Oh you definitely should! They all taste way better fresh cut, just make sure they don't get too woody. My parents have always grown herbs, and it's interesting to see where in the world what different types grow best. For instance, in Texas the rosemary took off like crazy and turned into a huge bush. Now in Italy, the dill is growing into a literal tree. They planted it in October as a tiny little six-inch tall plant, and it's now over six feet. Crazy stuff.

Oh you definitely should! They all taste way better fresh cut, just make sure they don't get too woody. My parents have always grown herbs, and it's interesting to see where in the world what different types grow best. For instance, in Texas the rosemary took off like crazy and turned into a huge bush. Now in Italy, the dill is growing into a literal tree. They planted it in October as a tiny little six-inch tall plant, and it's now over six feet. Crazy stuff.

Whoa. Holy crap! That's enough dill to make about a million pickles.

If you get full sun anywhere, definitely do it. Super easy and then you don't have to buy a ton of herbs from the store when you just need a tablespoon.

Ha!

I've had watermelon and plain yogurt, plenty of times. Nothing weird about that.

But tsatsiki is supposed to be tsatsiki. I'm not Greek, but I'm just sayin!

Well it is greek yogurt mixed with garlic paste, mint and salt so there is at least that savory aspect.

Six feet? WTF?!!

No. And I've never seen anyone else salt a watermelon, either.

I've also never had grits of any kind.

Or salt or garlic with apples. Or watermelon in tsatziki.

No offense, but you people are weird. ;)
Queers reset the American table, darling. :cool:

I don't even use salt unless a recipe calls for it. It's not that weird, though, and probably better on heartburn than carrying a bottle of Tabasco to put on everything. :D

I'm with OwnedSubgal...I thought it was a Southern thing, too! My hubbie is a Yankee (New York) and thinks I'm nuts...I am nuts but for others reasons.

Well it is greek yogurt mixed with garlic paste, mint and salt so there is at least that savory aspect.
I just want food to taste like what I expect it to taste like. You know, within reason!

Why call that tsatsiki? If they're making something new, why don't they just call it something else?

Queers reset the American table, darling. :cool:
Sorry, this flew over my head.

What do queers have to do with salt or grits or tsatsiki?

Not to be a nag or anything, but you southern people do know about the health risks associated with high salt intake, right?

I just want food to taste like what I expect it to taste like. You know, within reason!

Why call that tsatsiki? If they're making something new, why don't they just call it something else?

Sorry, this flew over my head.

What do queers have to do with salt or grits or tsatsiki?
forgive me-- now that I reread it, it doesn't make any sense to me either:eek:

Not to be a nag or anything, but you southern people do know about the health risks associated with high salt intake, right?
Yeah, yeah... and the published recommendations for sodium intake are mostly BS. Even my last cardiologist admitted that the AMA guidelines for salt intake for those with cardiac issues (like me and my 5 heart attacks) was irrational and substantially lower than necessary - like 50% of a realistic level.

I admitted to him that my salt intake was higher than it probably should be, but the alternative was to fill up on sweet things and beef and such that would bounce my cholesterol levels off the roof. He agreed that for me at least, a somewhat higher than the "recommended" amount of salt was almost certainly better than building up my cholesterol count, especially since all my heart attacks were caused by arterial buildup, not blood pressure. (Of course, he said the *ideal* solution would be to lower my sodium intake AND my intake of cholesterol-producing foodstuffs. Yeahhhh... like that's gonna happen. :rolleyes: )

I rarely use salt on fruit but on watermelon its the shizzy...rad avatar BTW!

I occasionally salt my watermelon, but I also put salt and pepper on cantaloupe. There is also the thing of pouring milk and honey on cold cornbread too.

Back