Dark Receiver

Glen Kane

The workers finally arrived and Glen watched them, this time they attached two even heavier and thicker cables, testing them repeatedly. He heard a recital start up and of course Claire's voice was part of it, he smiled to himself as he watched the workers do their stuff. He was curious when they moved on to the other sets of lights, but it soon became clear that Glen's rather harsh words the previous day had made a great impact on the owners and they were taking extra precautions.

"Glen? You through all the excitement you never got to come look at the dress."

"Ah yes, let's go check it out quickly,"

as he walked away there was a loud crash behind him, somehow a toolbox had managed to slip from the trestle it was secured on, the thick belt still hanging from the strap holder. The toolbox had impacted where Glen had stood, Glen placed his hands on his hips in mock anger and tapped his foot.

"Oi! If you don't like the theater just say so, don't throw your tools through the rafters!"

He chuckled at the wide eyed workers and continued on his way to look at the dress. It was exactly how he had envisioned it, he was sure that it would suit Claire.

"Right, get the measurements right and then we'll see how she looks in it. I'm leaving that part in your hands."

The crash made them all jump. Claire looked across seeing where the toolbox had landed! Looking around she saw other cast members had turned in shock.

"Oi! If you don't like the theater just say so, don't throw your tools through the rafters!"

Slowly actors turned back to their refreshments or scripts, but Claire stood staring at the workmen, some of the bizarre comments made by her parents coming back as she watched Glen walk off seemingly unconcerned ...

"So wife ... how didst thou think that went?"

It was her 'Paris' . Claire turned and laughed as she responded;

"I think you've definitely got something there."

She shook her head amused by the young man standing before her script in hand.

"Well ... I have so few scenes with you ... Paris is kept so much at a decent distance from Juliet, this chance meeting is his chance to ... make an impression ... and cheer up his wife-to-be ... "

Claire nodded and responded ironically;

"Yes ... don't let the Friar or the Church setting stop you accosting me will ya?"

They exchanged smiles, liking the interpretation he had come up with.

"It will be a pleasure... "

He leered deliberately and set Claire laughing, a welcome relief after the tension of the toolbox incident.

"Claire ..?"

A crew member was calling her. She turned and exchanged a few words.

"Be right back.."

Claire excused herself moving away from 'Paris' to go with the woman to have her measurements taken.

Last edited:
Glen Kane

Glen was back on the stage, helping to get the props set up, he decided to have a little something to eat as well, the day have flown by and he forgot that he haven't eaten yet. Getting a plate he placed some of the food on it, noticing that small groups was huddled together, going over their lines and the actions they would perform. He was pleased, it was like the whole cast was into this production, he was joined by Elron who as usual was busy demolishing a whole lot of food.

"So what do you think?"

Elron nodded as he pushed his glasses onto his nose,

"It is all coming together nicely, we will have a killer production this year."

"Think we should offer Claire a contract?"

Elron chuckled,

"You had better, if she slips through your fingers you will kick yourself for years to come."

Glen nodded his agreement and they stood, eating and watching the cast.

Last edited:
((OOC That last line wasn't supposed to be there! Didn't delete it when I copied your text .... edited it out now! Sorry! :p ))

Claire moved off to the side, standing obediently as the woman took out a tape measure and began to wind it around her, jotting down numbers as she did so.
They chatted as Claire turned and extended her arm, leg and discussed necklines, bra styles and cup sizes, happy to give all the information needed as the woman explained that she would create a 'costume card' with all the details so that the information could be used for any garment created for her ...

Even once the measuring was over, the two chatted, Claire curious about costumes the woman had created before and confessing that she loved new clothes and dressing up. Not once did Claire ask questions about Glen's vision of Juliet's 'look'. She knew that he would reveal details as and when he was ready ...

Glen Kane

After giving everybody enough of a breather Glen called order and also that the fourth act would start. He usually did things this way so that by the last week, the cast not only looked, moved and spoke Shakespearean, they believed that what they were doing were as natural as breathing.

"Act four, scene one. I heard that my cast was so kind as to review it during the break so now they can astound us all. You may proceed."

He eyed the workers, rather nervous about a tool crashing down on his head, but so far everything seemed just fine.

"Act four, scene one. I heard that my cast was so kind as to review it during the break so now they can astound us all. You may proceed."

Claire turned round as the other actors got promptly into position and began the first scene. Paris and the Friar discussing the forthcoming marriage to be interrupted by her entrance. She was suitably rushed and flustered by the time she entered stage right to be met with the over attentive Paris.

Happily met, my lady and my wife!

He was immediately 'full on' and they instantly fell into the rhythm they had found in the break. The performance was a significantly different interpretation to how they'd played out the scene before, but it felt right and grounded Claire securely into Juliet's mindset again.

Glen Kane

The rest of the Act went smoothly, Glen was happy about that. When they were done, Mercutio came over to him,

"Excuse me Mr Kane? We have been wondering, could you perhaps let us practice more with the swords? We feel that we have a far way to go with them, before we start with the costume rehearsals."

Glen grinned,

"Ah so you have decided to come out of you own then? Yes I have no problem with it, but with all the accidents that's been happening, let us don the protective gear and then you can have at each other."

The actor nodded and rushed off to fetch his partner so that they could get ready,

"Oi Elron, you will have to make something to eat tonight, I'll be a bit late!"

Elron showed thumbs up, indicating he got the message, Glen placed his notes and script into his back pack and found that Claire was still there. He sneaked up to her and whispered close to her ear.

"The measure done, I'll watch her place of stand, and, touching hers, make blessed my rude hand. Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night."

The Act went well and Claire was fully absorbed as Juliet as the roller coaster leading to the potion taking and consequences played out once more. Time sped and it was almost too soon when the cast broke up at the end of the day.
It was only now that Claire's thoughts drifted back to the morning's aggro finding that she was dreading returning home once more. Her days were now so interesting and full, Claire really resented the way her parents dragged down her mood and her enthusiasm!

"The measure done, I'll watch her place of stand, and, touching hers, make blessed my rude hand."

She recognised the voice instantly!
She turned with a smile as she faced Glen, not Elron.

"Did my heart love till now? forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night."

She wondered what Glen had acted in previously. He had such an understanding of drama, she felt sure he too had been or was still an actor in some form.

" ... if you want me work over to make up for being late, that's not a problem ... "

She told him, her mind obviously on the issues of the morning.

" ... it won't happen again ... "

She felt she had to reassure him as he had made it clear that he hadn't wanted an apology, just for her to deliver as Juliet and she hoped that she had done that for him ...

Glen Kane

"Nay fair maiden, good work have you delivered, but as I await my hapless students, what frowned marred thou face so early in the morn?"

It was true, even though he knew she was upset this morning, she gave another outstanding performance and now was the time to talk about it if she did want to.

"Nay fair maiden, good work have you delivered, but as I await my hapless students, what frowned marred thou face so early in the morn?"

Claire smiled, relieved that he was pleased with her.
She turned and sighed heavily.

" the Capulets ... "

She responded using their code to explain that this time it was both her father and mother she has having issues with.

" ... am I too old to run away from home, do you think?"

She laughed despite herself and then sobered.

" ... they're just getting ... strange ... stranger than usual ... "

Claire thought back to the constant barracking that she'd had the evening before and especially that morning.

"They're like the witches in 'The Scottish Play' - all predictions of doom and danger and downfall ... "

She shrugged. She had no idea why they were behaving in that way.

Glen Kane

"Ah the Capulets, mayhap it is time for the young angel to elope, to find her own niche and sing her song of spirited hope and freedom and let no tales of doom bring her any more gloom."

He smiled,

"Well I have been wondering about that, would their minds be more at ease if it is more a work than just some part-time acting role? I have an open contract, now the pay isn't the best there is, but I am sure that when they see you are contracted to a company and it is a work, not just some sort of...how would somebody of your dad's age put? Flimsy? Maybe then they will give you a little bit of slack?"

"Ah the Capulets, mayhap it is time for the young angel to elope, to find her own niche and sing her song of spirited hope and freedom and let no tales of doom bring her any more gloom."

Claire nodded.

" ... if only ... "

She commented softly. Though attractive, it wasn't really an option!

"Well I have been wondering about that, would their minds be more at ease if it is more a work than just some part-time acting role? I have an open contract, now the pay isn't the best there is, but I am sure that when they see you are contracted to a company and it is a work, not just some sort of...how would somebody of your dad's age put? Flimsy? Maybe then they will give you a little bit of slack?"

What he said was exciting, but as far as her parents were concerned she was already under contract.

"That won't work."

She told Glen, her certainty making him curious.

"They already think I'm under contract."

She blushed at the confession.

"It was the only way I could even get out of the house this morning!"

She added in exasperation.

" ... I've tried to reason, to explain, but to be honest I'm past trying.
If they can't be happy for me and let me do what I want to do with my life, well ... "

There was actually little she could do short of leave early and return late.

"I won't let it make me late again though ... that's a promise ..."

She reassured him instead.

Glen Kane

"Well actually I know of a spot that you could use, but then again running away is not always a problem."

He smiled and gave her a hug,

"Chin up young turtle dove, when time permits I will visit the Capulets myself and find out what is hindering them from being happy for my bright eyed little sparrow."

He noticed that the duelers was ready and gave her shoulder a gentle pat,

"If you want I can give you another lift on the bike, maybe shorten the Inquisition by a few hours?"

"Well actually I know of a spot that you could use, but then again running away is not always a problem."

She smiled as he hugged her.

"Chin up young turtle dove, when time permits I will visit the Capulets myself and find out what is hindering them from being happy for my bright eyed little sparrow."

Claire looked worried. She really didn't want Glen to meet them! The meeting with Elron had gone badly enough.

"If you want I can give you another lift on the bike, maybe shorten the Inquisition by a few hours?"

Claire glanced across at the duellers and shook her head.

"I'm ok ... I think I'm going to find somewhere quiet to learn lines and then head back home later ... my tactic at the moment is ... avoidance ... "

She told him picking up the bag and slinging it over her shoulder. She had already considered her options and had decided that she would head off to the library room and maybe find somewhere for a coffee and sandwich later on ...

Glen Kane

"Well stay then, I wouldn't want you to be out there all by your ownsome. Not wanting to sound like some parental character or the producer, I just don't want you to take that risk, I care too much for you and it's not because you are my leading lady."

He smiled,

"But if you do not wish to hang around I'll understand."

He walked off to where the Tybalt and Mercutio stood waiting,

"Right en garde."

"Well stay then, I wouldn't want you to be out there all by your ownsome. Not wanting to sound like some parental character or the producer, I just don't want you to take that risk, I care too much for you and it's not because you are my leading lady."

Claire smiled finding her cheeks pink slightly at the warmth of his words.
He had been so good to her and so patient about her home circumstances.
It was nice to think that he liked her for herself, not just as the actress he had cast.

"But if you do not wish to hang around I'll understand."

Claire watched him walk off to see to the duellers who were still working on stage. She considered what he had said, but knew that if she stayed in the theatre should would become distracted by the action going on there.

As usual Glen was completely absorbed in the scene he was working on so she turned and made her way out of the theatre and out into the cool early evening. It actually felt good to be on her own, to have her own space and make her own decisions without anyone having to look out for her. She turned to head towards the library, but passed a coffee house en route. The place was quiet and had many comfortable-looking squishy armchairs that seemed to call out to her.

A mere 5 minutes later she was seated with a coffee and sandwich and pastry on the table in front of her and the script in her hand, working contentedly and enjoying a perverse sense of freedom that she seemed to experience so rarely ...

Glen Kane

He worked the duo hard, finally he noticed that they could not keep up the pace anymore, it was getting late and he finally took pity on them. They tried their utmost and he would have to admit that it seemed they made some head-way, slight improvement. He told them to get out of the gear and asked if they needed him to call a cab, but it turned out that one had a car and they would go home with that. He waited for them to finish and locked the theater, he started to wonder if he shouldn't try and purchase his own building, sure it would be expensive, but he had the money. Stretching out and hearing the loud pops from his back he yawned, well finally it was catching up to him. Head home, grab a shower and then bed. He got on the bike, slipped on the helmet and gunned the engine to life, his stomach of course wasn't very happy about the prospect of no food, so he decided to grab a sandwich, probably because Claire said she'll have one. Chuckling to himself he pulled out of the parking space and drove to the nearest coffee house to pick up a sandwich. He parked outside, got out and walked into the shop, while waiting at the counter he scanned the menu for something to eat.

Claire managed to make the meal last an hour. The second coffee enabled her to jot furiously in the margins and write out a list of bullet points; obsrevations from the rehearsals that day. She didn't even leave her seat to order the third. She supposed she was high on caffeine by then, but gave it little thought, her previous strong beverages, now giving way to a generously cocoa dusted cappucino. Notes and script discarded now, Claire dreamily stirred swirls in the milky froth, licking the spoon before sipping at the steaming liquid. Snuggling back in the squishy armchair, she wrapped a hand around each side of the large cup and began running through her lines, lips moving soundlessly as she punctuated her mute rehearsal with sips at the hot white porcelain.

Glen Kane

"I would like a chicken mayo with cheese please,"

he thought for a second,

"I think add a cup of mocha java and I'll take it sit-down thanks."

He paid for the meal and turned to find Claire seated in one of the puffy chairs, he chuckled as he watched her. Clearly oblivious to his or anybody else's presence she recited her lines wordlessly, he could see that she concentrated on her surroundings and the cast on stage. He kept watching her as he waited for his order.

One, by one, Claire worked through her soliloquys.

The party scene, the balcony scene, the scene before Juliet's marriage, the scene waiting for the nurse ... all done ...
She sipped her coffee and flicked through the script.

The scene after her wedding night, the last one with Romeo: Act III, Scene V. needed alot of work, she felt. She had played that several times with Elron, but still felt as if they were going through the motions. It was a pivotal point in their relationship, where they had to show the audience that they were now fully man and wife, not some kids playing at romance. It was the basis on which the rest of the scene was to play out; the fact that Juliet could not be unfaithful to her new husband and betray the recently consumated marriage.
She knew they needed to up the intensity, but was at a loss how to.
She frowned and decided that she should speak to Elron about trying out some ideas, or most probably discuss it with Glen.

"Glen!"

The word left her lips in suprise as she found herself staring at the very person she had been thinking about. She saw he had a sandwich and coffee in hand and smiled in welcome as he made his way towards her.

" ... fancy meeting you here ... "

She greeted him with a laugh.

Glen Kane

He chuckled,

"We truly seem to bump into each other now that we met. May I join you? From the look on your face I'd say you are not only surprised to see me, you also had a question that you want asked."

He sipped on the coffee, it was strong, just the way he liked it.

"We truly seem to bump into each other now that we met. May I join you? From the look on your face I'd say you are not only surprised to see me, you also had a question that you want asked."

Claire waved Glen into the seat opposite her and laughed at his comments.

"We seem destined to meet up ... "

She commented, then gestured at the script and notes with a laugh.

"I think I've been doing too much overtime ... and I was just thinking something through, but it can wait ... "

She relaxed back and sipped her coffee enjoying his company.

"How did the duelling go? Must have been a long session ..."

She observed ...

Glen Kane

"It went quite well, I think they will be feeling it tomorrow."

He chuckled and took a bite from his sandwich,

"Maybe you should come check what I do with them at some stage, my own training didn't go very far, but then again why would I want to fence if I am to act?"

"It went quite well, I think they will be feeling it tomorrow."

Claire nodded and sipped her drink watching him eat.

"Maybe you should come check what I do with them at some stage, my own training didn't go very far, but then again why would I want to fence if I am to act?"

She nodded liking the idea of watching the fencing.

"You're to act?"

She watched him curiously.

"I did think you must be or had been an actor ... "

Like Elron he always seemed to have a 'vision' and understanding for the staging.

"Do you get chance to act now that you've gone into producing ...?"

She queried, speculating on what it would be like to have him as her leading man ...

Glen Kane

"Of course I act at times, the thing is not to mix the two together, but finding a producer that appreciates you as an actor that is the real catch."

He chuckled,

"Mistake no more: I am not Licio, nor a musician, as I seem to be; But one that scorn to live in this disguise, for such a one as leaves a gentleman, and makes a god of such a cullion: Know, sir, that I am call'd Hortensio."

He seemed a bit flustered as he said this, Hortensio clearly coming to the fore, he gave Claire a wink and slipped into another character,

"Even just the sum that I do owe to you is growing to me by Antipholus, and in the instant that I met with you he had of me a chain: at five o'clock I shall receive the money for the same. Pleaseth you walk with me down to his house, I will discharge my bond and thank you too."

He turned into an oily character, ready to sell his soul if the price was right, the glint in his eyes was one of lust, lust for money and nothing else.

Back