Dark Receiver

Glen Kane

He listened to her and nodded, it usually was a problem because everything seems to happen so fast.

"Well if you do have the words down you will actually get the emotional handle on it as we go along, today was just a way to get a feel for the stage. From tomorrow it will go much slower as we go through every scene step by step, believe me that when we are done you will be able to recite the play out of your head."

He watched her as she paged through her script, finding that he liked her fingers and wondered if they are as cool as soft on the pages as they had been in his hand.

"Well if you do have the words down you will actually get the emotional handle on it as we go along, today was just a way to get a feel for the stage. From tomorrow it will go much slower as we go through every scene step by step, believe me that when we are done you will be able to recite the play out of your head."

Claire nodded, sure that she would not stumble over words during the performances, her focus on attaining the level of performance Glen expected of her.

She glanced across and smiled as she caught his gaze.

"They're wonderful words though ... "

She breathed.

Glen Kane

He chuckled,

"Yeah old Will knew how to write like a poet and make words to flow from your lips like flowers"

Claire nodded then dipped into her bag to take out Glen's script.

"And this play ... is it as 'floral?"

She teased, her eyes scaning the cover page.

Glen Kane

He chuckled,

"Well it has a touch of flower mixed into the modern language so yeah it has some in it, but not a lot."

He smiled,

"You will be the third person to read it to be honest."

"Well it has a touch of flower mixed into the modern language so yeah it has some in it, but not a lot.
You will be the third person to read it to be honest."

Claire looked at him quizzically.

"Third... after you and Elron?"

She guessed.

"Ohhh ... I should start heading out for my bus. My parents are pretty jumpy after that accident the other day ... "

She laughed.

"Though Dad's unlikely to do a Lord Capulet and throw me round the room."

She laughed and seemed to consider.

Though he sure looked like he'd have liked to do that to Elron though ... "

Glen Kane

"Yeah that was some nasty business, let me gather my stuff and walk with you, everybody is gone anyway,"

he quickly gathered his belongings, slipping into a black biker jacket and from under his seat he pulled out his helmet.

"Let's hope he doesn't decide to toss you around, I'll go to war if you get hurt."

He didn't say anything further about that, but smiled,

"As long as your father don't sit on top of Elron, I'm sure Elron can handle him. I forced him to take some Judo classes, but..."

Glen waggled his hand to indicate back and forth,

"Meh, he's more a reader than a fighter. At least he did learn how to keep away from his opponent, so that would work for him."

"Yeah that was some nasty business, let me gather my stuff and walk with you, everybody is gone anyway,"

Claire smiled and waited whilst Glen got his things together, walking amicably with him as he picked up a jacket and helmet.

"Let's hope he doesn't decide to toss you around, I'll go to war if you get hurt."

Although logic made Claire realise that Glen was protecting his interests, making sure he leading lady didn't get hurt, still it was nice to be cared about ...

"As long as your father don't sit on top of Elron, I'm sure Elron can handle him. I forced him to take some Judo classes, but...Meh, he's more a reader than a fighter.

Claire burst into laughter at Glen's words. She couldn't quite imagine him doing Judo, much less to defend himself from her dad.

"At least he did learn how to keep away from his opponent, so that would work for him."

Claire giggled.

"Perhaps the best strategy ... "

She agreed, her mouth still curled into a smile at the image.

"You ride a bike..?"

She commented in surprise.

" ... bet that gets you around easily ... "

She could imagine how her parents would react if she ever told them that she'd been on the back of a bike.

" ... my parents won't even let me out on the roads on a pushbike ... "

She laughed again.

"If they had their way, I'd be peddling a tricycle round the garden still ... "

But somehow, she didn't care about what they thought.
Claire had had a wonderful day and was still more happy to have ended it in discussion with Glen ...

"Maybe I should join the circus and try something really dangerous ... that would teach them ... "

She added mischievously ...

Glen Kane

He smiled at her comments and locked the door after activating the security system,

"Well if you are not scared I'll give you a lift to the bus stop at your house, they don't need to know you were on a bike and you would experience the freedom it provides."

He dropped the keys into his back pack and waited for her answer.

Claire turned realising that they really were the very last ones out of the theatre. She glanced around realising that it had indeed gotten later as she and Glen had talked.

"Well if you are not scared I'll give you a lift to the bus stop at your house, they don't need to know you were on a bike and you would experience the freedom it provides."

It was an offer, but a challenge too.

"... me? Scared?"

She laughed and followed him over to his bike, accepting the spare helmet and allowing Glen to make sure it was secured properly.

" ... though I could fall of this thing before it even moves ... "

She commented as she followed his instructions, taking her place behind him and winding her arms around him as he started the bike up and pulled away.
She knew that he would ride carefully, especially with her on the back, yet it did in fact feel speedy and as Glen had said really did give a sense of freedom.

All too soon they drew to a halt at the familar bus stop.

" ... that was great ... "

Claire commented laughing ...

Glen Kane

He chuckled and grinned at her from behind the helmet,

"Then I should take you out on the long road some time, you might like that even more."

He took the helmet from her and secured it to the handlebar, noticing the bus coming towards the stop,

"Just in time I see, well I'll see you tomorrow then and tell Mr. Capulet to drink a chill tablet."

He chuckled and with a wave pulled away as the bus pulled into the space behind him.

"Then I should take you out on the long road some time, you might like that even more."

Claire smiled.

" ... that sounds like fun ... "

She followed his gaze, watching as the bus pulled up.

"Just in time I see, well I'll see you tomorrow then and tell Mr. Capulet to drink a chill tablet."

She laughed at the comment.

"... he should be fine... he just worries ... "

Waving Glen off, Claire turned and walked to the house, letting herself in and popped her head in the lounge to announce she was home.

"Good day?"

It was her father.

" ... amazing day ... "

Claire enthused.

" ... come tell us all about it ... "

Her mother encouraged as she led Claire into the kitchen and got a meal out of the oven setting it down in front of her.

"How did you know I'd be famished?"

Claire queried with a laugh, realising that she actually was.
With a grateful hug and kiss, Claire moved to wash her hands and sat at the table as she began to relate the highlights of the day ...

Glen Kane

He went home and after having a light snack, went to bed. The next morning he was rather glad to see Mercutio and Tybalt showing up early. He had rapier props that gets used in rigorous practices and it would hold up to what he had in mind. After showing them the basics of rapier fighting he set them against each other, going slowly to let them get used to the weight and movement, by the time the other members of the cast started to show up the two had the basic concepts down as well as the choreography.

"Right people listen up, today you will be working with some basic props, I hope you have at least most of your lines down."

Claire caught the bus and made good time, but only just entered when Glen made his announcement:

"Right people listen up, today you will be working with some basic props, I hope you have at least most of your lines down."

Claire had been eager to read Glen's script, but felt that her line-learning had had to come first. She'd only read the introduction and first scene and then made herself put it aside and set to work on that middle section of the play and finding that the words came easier now that she could imagine her co-actors and their dynamics.

Walking forward with the others she awaited further instructions from Glen.

Glen Kane

"Right Act 1, scene 1, I took the liberty to set up the scene, now I have George, Henry and Christopher to help us set up the props and scenes, so it should not take too long. If you can help it would be great, these props can be dangerous as some of them are sturdy, like our Juliet's balcony. So please be careful around these things OK? Great, now let's get this show on the road."

He stood at the edge of the stage and watched as the players started, giving them pointers on how he wanted them to use and move their bodies.

Claire watched the opening scene of the play being set up and when she was sure that she wouldn't be needed for time being, ducked into the stalls and opened her script to review her lines.

Glen Kane

The day quickly moved along, the actors did their work very well, here and there a glitch, but after a few corrections and re-do's they started to pick up on what he wanted to carry out and started to perform like he like to show it to the audience. He constantly had to remind the people that he wanted more feeling, the only people he didn't have to coach much was Elron, Claire and the nurse, it became clear that she was basically cut out exactly for that role.

"Right let's take a break and get props ready for the next scene..."

he checked his watch,

"Or rather let's take lunch, it's becoming late."

Claire felt more relaxed that second day. It had almost been a help that scene going wrong and having to redo it. Somehow she managed to key into the emotion of Juliet, even as they repeated scenes and walked through the action. She especially enjoyed working with the 'nurse' who was absolutely line perfect and naturally comedic and animated.

As she ate lunch, Claire could not help but wonder if any part of the play would be modernised as there had been much working through rapiers and staging that morning which suggested that the traditional take on the play was still very much planned.

Her thoughts drifted off to alternative settings and dramatisations as she enjoyed a brief period of solitude, content to day dream as the others milled busily around her ...

Glen Kane

He and Elron worked along with the "stage hands" to get the props ready, when it was in place he chased them away and he went to sit on the edge of the stage, unaware of the stage lights above him that started to wiggle as strands of the cables holding them up started to come loose and unwind.

"Glen!"

He looked up as his assistant came walking up to him,

"Want to see the preliminary of the Juliet dress?"

He jumped from the stage,

"Ah you know me too well, let's go have a look."

The 'nurse' crossed to centre stage, her head buried in her script going through lines and moves. She stopped and jotted notes in the script margin, then retraced her steps to walk through the scene once more.

Halting she glanced around seeking out 'Peter' who was also involved in her scene.

" ... Claire ... have you seen ... "

The woman began her query.

As if in slow motion, Claire suddenly saw the last of the cable unwinding and the precarious rocking of the stage lights.
In impulse, Claire threw herself at he nurse, knocking her sideways; both of them landing just clear as the lights sped downwards and came to crash on the stage the glass flying to cut Claire's arms as both turned away to shield their faces, Claire's body masking the other woman from the fall out of glass.

The crash had brought the theatre to shocked silence.

Glen Kane

The crash made him look over his shoulder,

"Great Ceaser's ghost!"

He rushed over, he noticed that Abigail was fine, just shook up. But his attention was solely on Claire, ignoring the glass he knelt down next to her.

"Claire. Are you OK?"

Just after asking that he saw the blood, he helped her to her feet, checking to see if there wasn't any further damage, thankfully there wasn't. Elron joined them and he looked at the stage lights which lay on the spot where Glen sat only scant seconds ago. With mock indignation he looked at the shocked cast as they slowly drifted closer,

"Allright, who of you lot mentioned William Shakingsticks' real name or the Scottish Tragedy by name? That is exactly what why I told you not to do it."

There was a few nervous chuckles as the watched Glen leading Claire away, keeping pressure on the cut as he wasn't sure yet how deep it was. Glen wasn't even fazed by the fact that the lights had crashed down where he sat, at that moment Claire's injury was of much more importance. He led her to a little room with a wash basin and used water to wash off the blood, at least the cut wasn't deep, but it was no scratch either.

"Well the good news is I don't have to stitch you up and then mummify you, bad news is that the Mr Capulet is going to forbid to ever come within ten feet of any type of light."

In the meantime Elron had the "stagehands" pick up the lights and clean up the broken glass, he frowned as he looked up at the cable, it looked like the cable unraveled and that in itself is nearly impossible as the cable only carried a set amount of weight and wasn't used to move the lights.

"Claire. Are you OK?"

Claire blinked and sat up shakily. She saw Glen kneeling and eyeing her with concern.

” … Y.. yes .. fine … “

She managed to respond, her eyes widening at the sight of the smashed glass so close to her. Looking back over her shoulder she saw the other woman as she too sat up as stunned as Claire was at what had happened.

The other woman seemed to get to her feet quickly, but Claire's body felt like lead somehow. She smiled gratefully at Glen as he helped her stand up trying to steer clear of the glass shards.

"Allright, who of you lot mentioned William Shakingsticks' real name or the Scottish Tragedy by name? That is exactly what why I told you not to do it."

Claire smiled at Elron's wit, belatedly realising that Glen had spotted a cut on her arm and that he was applying pressure to it as he helped support her as they made their way slowly to a side room equipped with wash basin. She was relieved to sit down and remained so without protest as Glen washed the wound and checked it out.

"Well the good news is I don't have to stitch you up and then mummify you..”

Claire chuckled at his light words.

” … bad news is that the Mr Capulet is going to forbid to ever come within ten feet of any type of light."

She smiled.

” … accidents happen … “

She commented lightly.

” … all the time ...”

She added her mind drifting briefly to all the things that had happened to people she knew. She supposed she was lucky to not have been caught up in any misfortunes.

”No one was hurt, were they?”

She queried with concern, wincing as Glen applied a gauze and then secured it with surgical tape.

Glen Kane

After disinfecting the cut, applying some anti-septic cream and binding her up he looked at her.

"No only you got hurt, it's like the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished. I'm just glad that you are OK, you gave me a nasty shock."

He smiled,

"And I'm not saying that because you are my lead lady, want me to get you some sugar water? For the shock?"

"No only you got hurt, it's like the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished."

Claire eyed him curiously. She'd never heard that saying.

"I'm just glad that you are OK, you gave me a nasty shock."

Claire nodded with a laugh. The whole thing had rather taken her aback too!

"And I'm not saying that because you are my lead lady, want me to get you some sugar water?
For the shock?"

She was tempted to tell him she was fine and that they should all get back to work, but like him, she felt that she could be honest with him, rather than just actress-producer.

"I think that would be a good idea ... "

She told him instead.

" ... I feel a bit ... shaky ... "

She was sure that her light-headedness would soon go, but his offer seemed like a good idea for speeding up that process.

Glen Kane

"OK stay here and don't move unless somebody is around to catch you. I'll be right back."

He rushed to the backstage tables, finding water, mixing in some sugar and just for good measure fixed some sweet tea as well. He noticed on of the cast member looking at what he was doing,

"You could do the same for Abigail, she will be shaken up as well."

The cast member nodded and for a moment Glen had the weirdest feeling about something but that passed and he rushed back to get the tea and water to Claire.

"There you go, brought you some sweet tea as well, believe it or not it actually..."

Then it struck him, the cast member was not somebody he auditioned...and none of the cast was in costume yet.

"...helps."

He peeked out of the door and saw nobody that didn't belong, what on earth?

Back