Dark Receiver

Claire Westall

Claire had never realised just how emotionally draining this particular scene was. It seemed that Juliet was thrown from one turmoil to another. No sooner had Juliet made her farewells to Romeo, but she was catapulted into the shock news of a forthcoming wedding.

”Now by Saint Peter’s Church, and Peter too,
He shall not make me there a joyful bride!
I wonder at this haste, that I must wed
Ere he that should be husband comes to woo. “

Claire found the words flowed as Juliet fought against the arrangement.
Lord Capulet when he entered was suitably aggressive and intimidatingly so.

”Not proud you have, but thankful that you have.
Proud can I never be of what I hate,
But thankful even for hate that is meant love. “

The words said carefully, yet provoking another storm from “her father”.

How, how, how, how, choplogic? What is this?
‘Proud’—and ‘I thank you’—and ‘I thank you not’—
And yet ‘not proud’? Mistress minion you,
Thank me no thankings, nor proud me no prouds,
But fettle your fine joints ‘gainst Thursday next
To go with Paris to Saint Peter’s Church,
Or I will drag thee on a hurdle thither.
Out, you green-sickness carrion! Out, you baggage!
You tallow-face!

The rage, the arguing seemed to flow between them.

”Good father, I beseech you on my knees,
Hear me with patience but to speak a word. “[/B]

Scripts laid aside, the paternal ranting continued, Claire reacting in character to the rage poured upon her and the threat to disown her.

Hang thee, young baggage! disobedient wretch!
I tell thee what—get thee to church a Thursday
Or never after look me in the face.
Speak not, reply not, do not answer me!
My fingers itch.

The dialogues now moving between Lord Capulet and the two characters attempting to calm him, but merely spearing him on to greater rage until he grabbed hold of Claire, all threat and venom.

Graze where you will, you shall not house with me.
Look to’t, think on’t; I do not use to jest.
Thursday is near; lay hand on heart, advise:
An you be mine, I’ll give you to my friend;
An you be not, hang, beg, starve, die in the streets,
For, by my soul, I’ll ne’er acknowledge thee,
Nor what is mine shall never do thee good.
Trust to’t. Bethink you. I’ll not be forsworn.

Claire’s Is there no pity sitting in the clouds / That sees into the bottom of my grief? was desperate, yet poignant. Disowned by her father, then rejected by her mother, “Juliet” turned to the nurse, all emotion internalised at the advice given.

Faith, here it is.
Romeo is banish’d; and all the world to nothing
That he dares ne’er come back to challenge you;
I think you are happy in this second match,
For it excels your first.

To Claire the losing of the nurse as confidante was a key turning point for Juliet.
Standing unsteadily, Claire took her time as if considering the offered advice.

Well, thou hast comforted me marvellous much.

Her voice was tight with control, so different from her earlier interactions with the nurse.

”Go in; and tell my lady I am gone,
Having displeas’d my father, to Laurence’ cell,
To make confession and to be absolv’d.”

Claire studiously avoided responding to the nurse’s response, the emotional distance demonstrated as she moved away to stand off-centre at the front of the stage, Juliet’s final words delivered with slowdeliberation. Her eyes locking with Glen’s as she did so:

"Ancient damnation! O most wicked fiend!
Is it more sin to wish me thus forsworn,
Or to dispraise my lord with that same tongue
Which she hath prais’d him with above compare
So many thousand times? Go, counsellor!
Thou and my bosom henceforth shall be twain.
I’ll to the friar to know his remedy.
If all else fail, myself have power to die. “

She stood in silent resolution knowing that THIS was the moment that Juliet decided that death was the only alternative to being a true wife to Romeo.

Glen Kane

He was finished with the drawing by the time she caught his eyes, he gave her a warm smile. Since she caught up with her Juliet persona again, she was so convincing that he was sure there would not be a dry eye in the house. He motioned for them to continue, to carry on into the next act, he motioned Aldar Swann over. He explained his idea and showed her the picture he drew, she looked from him to Claire and suddenly smiled.

"You like her don't you?"

He just smiled at her,

"Just see if you can get that done please. I don't want a courtesan, just something...new."

Aldar nodded and moved away as Glen turned his attention back to the stage.

Act IV - Scene 1: Another new scene for Claire and her only scripted interaction between Juliet and Paris. Though both referred to their scripts during that unfamilar scene, the interaction was appropriately stilted as "Juliet" repressed her natural aversion to the 'bridegroom' who was to be forced upon her.

Happily met, my lady and my wife!

That may be, sir, when I may be a wife.

That may be must be, love, on Thursday next.

What must be shall be.

Their dialogue continued, Claire avoiding all compliment and contact until finally able to escape to the seclusion of Friar Lawrence's 'cell'.

Are you at leisure, holy father, now,
Or shall I come to you at evening mass?

My leisure serves me, pensive daughter, now.
My lord, we must entreat the time alone.

God shield I should disturb devotion!
Juliet, on Thursday early will I rouse ye.
Till then, adieu, and keep this holy kiss.

Claire had had one short scene with the "Friar" during the wedding scene, but now found him to be her character's sole confidante.

O, shut the door! and when thou hast done so,
Come weep with me—past hope, past cure, past help!

The scene was shared equally between the two of them, the scene key to establishing Juliet's determination to do anything rather than marry Paris.

Tell me not, friar, that thou hear'st of this,
Unless thou tell me how I may prevent it.
If in thy wisdom thou canst give no help,
Do thou but call my resolution wise
And with this knife I'll help it presently.

Claire had no prop, yet drew the imaginary weapon, much as Elron had in his previous scene in Lawrence' cell.

God join'd my heart and Romeo's, thou our hands;
And ere this hand, by thee to Romeo seal'd,
Shall be the label to another deed,
Or my true heart with treacherous revolt
Turn to another, this shall slay them both.

Claire paused. Realising that this was Juliet's turning point; the moment that she truly decided that death was the only option if she could not be Romeo's wife.
Her voice was slow, yet held quiet resolution.

Therefore, out of thy long-experienc'd time,
Give me some present counsel; or, behold,
'Twixt my extremes and me this bloody knife
Shall play the umpire, arbitrating that
Which the commission of thy years and art
Could to no issue of true honour bring.
Be not so long to speak. I long to die
If what thou speak'st speak not of remedy.

Her words spurred the Friar to respond:
Hold, daughter. I do spy a kind of hope ...

Aside from one brief speech, the following was Juliet's response to the Friar's suggested course of action. Claire checked her script, memorising Juliet's final words of the scene and listened to the man's words, as if hearing them for the first time.

Give me, give me! O, tell not me of fear!
Love give me strength! and strength shall help afford.
Farewell, dear father.

She now had a short scene with her "father" and then her "audition" scene; a scene she now felt much more emotionally prepared for having just worked through the scene with Paris and the Friar...

Glen Kane

He watched and listened in silence, just allowing everything to flow, to continue, they were nearing the ending now and checking his watch, he noticed that time was catching up as well. He grinned and hoped that these people was ready for tomorrow, today was just a little warm up for the real work to start. He watched them reading through the fourth act.

Elron Kramer

The start of the fifth act he stepped forward,

"If I may trust the flattering truth of sleep, my dreams presage some joyful news at hand: My bosom's lord sits lightly in his throne; and all this day an unaccustom'd spirit lifts me above the ground with cheerful thoughts. I dreamt my lady came and found me dead-- Strange dream, that gives a dead man leave to think!-- And breathed such life with kisses in my lips, that I revived, and was an emperor. Ah me! how sweet is love itself possess'd, when but love's shadows are so rich in joy!"

The actor playing Balthazar stepped forward to deliver the news of Juliet's misconceived death, he allowed sorrow to wash over him as the scene continued and her purchased the poison from the apothecary,

"There is thy gold, worse poison to men's souls, doing more murders in this loathsome world, than these poor compounds that thou mayst not sell. I sell thee poison; thou hast sold me none. Farewell: buy food, and get thyself in flesh. Come, cordial and not poison, go with me to Juliet's grave; for there must I use thee."

He stepped back behind the curtain, determination in his gait.

Claire Westall

The final scene: Claire had tried to distance herself from the action of Romeo’s purchase of poison, his confrontation with Paris and his suicide. She had to focus on what Juliet would know and expect upon waking and how quickly and tragically events would go wrong.

She stood at the side of the stage as Elron worked through Romeo’s last speech.

Eyes, look your last!
Arms, take your last embrace! and, lips, O you
The doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss
A dateless bargain to engrossing death!

Again he did not take that kiss before ‘dying’ choosing to move aside rather than completely off stage as she moved on stage as the Friar was lamenting Romeo’s death.

Romeo! O, pale! Who else? What, Paris too?
And steep’d in blood? Ah, what an unkind hour(150)
Is guilty of this lamentable chance!
The lady stirs.

It seemed that now they were near the end, the cast were less concerned about following stage directions, but Claire found it impossible to stand and just read through the speeches she already knew so well.

There was a pause as all awaited her line. She hesitated, but made up her mind to follow her instincts and stepped forward towards that stage apron, putting down her book and gave a nod to the Friar who repeated her cue:
The lady stirs.

O comfortable friar! where is my lord?
I do remember well where I should be,
And there I am. Where is my Romeo?

She stretched, blinked and looked around as she spoke. Elron was out of her eyeline and so she could not focus on him.

Thy husband in thy bosom there lies dead;

Instead she moved forward and focused on Glen, Juliet’s words directed at him.
Even though she had to improvise the kiss, the shock in her whispered; ... Thy lips are warm! ... Hung in the air as the other characters began to move stageward led by the Chief Watch.

Yea, noise? Then I’ll be brief. O happy dagger!
This is thy sheath; there rust, and let me die.

Her mime was totally unself-conscious. Eyes locked with Glen, the audience could almost ‘see’ the piercing blade and though they were not acting the scene out, Claire fell forward ‘dead’ as the rest of the scene continued until it ended with that famous couplet:

For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo.

Glen Kane

Why she focused on him he wouldn't know, but her words created the scene and he just watched her. How did she do it? He have seen masters at work and not even they were this good. The Act ran to a close and it was only then that Glen realized they were waiting for his reaction. He got up and nodded his head, giving them a short applause,

"Fabulous, with the quality and of course the work ethic you showed today I am sure that come show night we will have to dig you out from under the roses. Right home work for tonight will be...learn your lines. I will be here until everybody has left so if you have questions or requests feel free to come see me. Right that's all for today, thanks guys and girls and remember to be here tomorrow, that is when the fun really starts."

"Fabulous, with the quality and of course the work ethic you showed today I am sure that come show night we will have to dig you out from under the roses. Right home work for tonight will be...learn your lines. I will be here until everybody has left so if you have questions or requests feel free to come see me. Right that's all for today, thanks guys and girls and remember to be here tomorrow, that is when the fun really starts."

His applause and praise released the tension and collectively held breath. Around her actors and actresses broke into smiles, nodding as they agreed to their 'homework' and to arriving promptly the next morning.

Slowly Claire stood and dusted herself down. Aside from that one scene, Claire decided her first day hadn't gone too badly, although only now she realised that she had one hell of a journey to go on with Juliet throughout Acts III & IV especially ...

Pausing to chat with the actor who played Paris, then the Friar and finally Lord Capulet, they flicked back to scenes read, discussing briefly how they'd gone. They all figured that it was pointless to discuss staging as ultimately Glen would direct how he say each scene playing out ...

Glen Kane

He went to his seat and watched as the groups gathered and smiled to himself, this was a dedicated group, he was glad to see that. He scanned through the papers he had with him and noticed a script that didn't belong, pulling it out he saw it was the last play he wrote, the comedy. He smiled and shook his head, Elron could be such a crafty man when he had his mind set on something. He waited for Claire to finish up her discussions and as she moved off to gather her belongings he called her,

"Claire! Would you come here for a second?"

He waited for her to join him and he held out the script to her,

"I did promise that you can have a copy,"

He smiled,

"I just hope that you like it."

Claire smiled and moved from the group, turning to pick up her bag and placed her script inside.

"Claire! Would you come here for a second?"

She looked up to see Glen calling her over.

" ... sure ... "

She jumped from the stage and made her way over to where he sat and looked down as he held a script out to her.

"I did promise that you can have a copy,"

She looked at the type face and saw that it was written by him.

"I just hope that you like it."

She smiled and then shot him a mischievous grin.

" ... I'll let you know ... "

She teased, then added more seriously.

"Thanks Glen ... I'll return it safe and sound ... "

She carefully eased the script into her bag, treating it with due care and respect.

"I thought you'd have forgotten ... with ... all this ... to think about ... "

She gestured to the stage.

" ... I don't think I'd realised just how much work it takes to stage something like this ... "

She was under no illusions that they all had a great deal to do to make this production a success.

Glen Kane

He smiled,

"No no keep it, I have enough copies of it."

He looked at the stage and smiled,

"Now do you understand why you need to have sponsors to start a production? Sure the stage and props is all cheap and readily available, but the costumes, there lies the real money."

He smiled as he looked over the groups and cast members,

"Claire, you will be the first one I admit this to, you are really stunning."

He meant in the way she used her voice to weave a net and pull the listener into the scene as if he or she was right there. He of course forgot to clarify that.

“No no keep it, I have enough copies of it.”

Claire nodded, flattered that Glen trusted her with his work.

“Now do you understand why you need to have sponsors to start a production? Sure the stage and props is all cheap and readily available, but the costumes, there lies the real money.”

Her gaze followed his, wondering just what it would all looked like when all the staging was put in place.

” ... I’m beginning to ... “

Claire replied.

”... I never realised there was so much to putting on a production ... it’s really hard work, but I know I’m going to love it ... “

She was still excited, even after the stresses and strains of her first day.

“Claire, you will be the first one I admit this to, ..."

She turned towards him at the tone of his voice.

“... you are really stunning.”

Claire was speechless.
The compliment was far from any she expected from Glen.
At first she had thought his comment directed as her, Claire, but as she considered, she decided it must be focused on her, Juliet. Y
et even so, his words were high praise indeed!

”I ... wanted to impress you ... “

She admitted, still not 100% sure of what he was referring to.

” ... and your opinion means a lot to me, Glen ... “

She told him softly, part of her hoping that he did actually like what he saw beyond the acting ...

Glen Kane

He chuckled softly and took her hand,

"My dear, I am not talking about the character you played, I'm talking about you. You really brought every detail out and it wasn't Juliet out there, it was you, making me believe you are Juliet caught up in the twists and turns of the plot of life, not the plot of a script."

He gave her hand a squeeze and let go,

"But even if you did it just to impress me, mark me as a very impressed man."

He looked at her and wondered why her parents acted so strange, Elron of course told him everything that had happened at her parents' place and it sounded so much like they wanted to keep her away from the theater, or other people for that fact. It had nothing to do with her being a beautiful young lady, there was something else, an aura that accompanied her...he smiled at her,

"So you feel like doing this then? Live on the stage and charm all the people into buying tickets to come see you?"

Her eyes widened as Glen took her hand.

"My dear, I am not talking about the character you played, I'm talking about you".

She blushed as he clarified his comment.

"You really brought every detail out and it wasn't Juliet out there, it was you, making me believe you are Juliet caught up in the twists and turns of the plot of life, not the plot of a script.
But even if you did it just to impress me, mark me as a very impressed man."

She smiled and nodded. She was relieved that she had made a good impression and pleased that Glen was still as friendly as he had been during her meal with him and Elron, but in some ways, more so ...

"So you feel like doing this then?"

Claire again wasn't sure what he meant.

"Live on the stage and charm all the people into buying tickets to come see you?"

She chuckled.

"Well ... I'm told this will be kill or cure ... "

She gave him a mischievious grin.

"And I hear our producer is a tough task master ... so ... I guess if I can survive him ... I might feel that this is what I want to do in the future... "

She giggled.

Glen Kane

"Yes I have heard such stories,"

He looked around and leaned in conspirator-like,

"I heard he eats kittens for breakfast and flosses with barbed wire, he has a thick warty skin and lives in a swamp."

He chuckled softly and sat back,

"Oh before I forget, I want you to try something on tomorrow afternoon."

"Yes I have heard such stories, I heard he eats kittens for breakfast and flosses with barbed wire, he has a thick warty skin and lives in a swamp."

Claire chuckled at his description, but softly quipped.

" ... lucky kittens ... "

Before noting Glen's next comment.

"Oh before I forget, I want you to try something on tomorrow afternoon."

She eyed him quizzically.

"Try something ...? "

She wasn't sure if he meant a new approach of if he actually wanted her to try some type of costume on ...

" ... should I be worried...?"

She questionned instead.

Glen Kane

"Well it's a new costume that I want, it's topless and would accentuate your hair color, so no you don't have to worry about anything."

He kept his face straight, not even his eyes giving away that it is a joke.

"Well it's a new costume that I want, it's topless and would accentuate your hair color, so no you don't have to worry about anything."

Claire did a double take. He could not be serious! But he seemed so!

" ... topless !?!? "

Still he did not respond.

" ... I must have missed Juliet's 'topless' scene ... "

She ventured, wondering if it was his interpretation of the wedding night/morning scene.

".. you .... you're not serious are you?"

She asked him worriedly ...

Glen Kane

"Of course and it's not a topless scene, it's called art,"

He smiled,

"Oh and what art it is indeed, would have to make it 18+ to keep the educational value intact"

"Of course and it's not a topless scene, it's called art.
Oh and what art it is indeed, would have to make it 18+ to keep the educational value intact"

Claire eyed him quizzically, still slightly concerned, but decided that there was no need for concern until she actually saw what he had in mind.

" ... so you're going for a modern twist ...?"

She asked.

Glen Kane

He suddenly smiled widely,

"I'm just kidding with you my dear, it's just a little adaptation to suit you more."

He patted the seat next to him,

"Have a seat, it's almost an hour before the next bus comes around."

"I'm just kidding with you my dear, it's just a little adaptation to suit you more."

Claire laughed and shook her head at his teasing.

"Have a seat, it's almost an hour before the next bus comes around."

She glanced at her watch and realised that she had just missed one. With a smile she took the seat beside him and looked around the now-empty theatre. The actors and actresses seem to have dispersed. She couldn't even see Elron.

She smiled at Glen companionably and sighed contentedly, loving the atmosphere of the seemingly empty theatre...

Glen Kane

"You are very trusting you know that? Sitting here in an empty theater with a man you met only two days ago."

He smiled at her,

"I'm quite curious, what scene were you going to use for the audition? From what Elron mentioned it wasn't Juliet."

"You are very trusting you know that?
Sitting here in an empty theater with a man you met only two days ago."

Claire laughed at his words. It never occured to her to be concerned.
She found she enjoyed Glen's company and felt totally at ease with him.

"I'm quite curious, what scene were you going to use for the audition? From what Elron mentioned it wasn't Juliet."

She shook her head then. Elron had put in a good word for her, but she did not know just what or how much he told Glen about her.

"I wasn't intending to audition for Juliet ... "

She confessed.

" ... I thought even attempting to read Juliet's role would have been .... arrogant ... I have no stage training or background, you know..."

She chuckled. It wasn't news to Glen, but it still seemed amazing to her to be playing a lead role after having seen the amount of auditionees she had had to go up against.

"I was reading aloud in the park when Elron overheard me. I was preparing As You Like It ... working through Phebe and Rosalind."

She giggled at the memory.

"Elron responded with Silvius, but then I had no idea of how experienced he was in theatre..."

She blushed.

" ... he advised me to read for Juliet ... and said he'd see me at the auditions, but ... I had no idea he was auditioning himself or connected to the production!"

She laughed, marvelling at how Elron had orchestrated the situation.

Glen Kane

He chuckled,

"That fiend. He probably knew that with what he saw, I'd put you in Juliet's role and I actually understand why you would audition for a lesser role, but don't think of it as arrogant. Think of it more along the lines of...you have no experience and would like to build up more experience through doing minor roles and working up to the main roles."

He smiled,

"But right now you are in a main role and if you ever have a problem feel free to talk to me or Elron. Even though you may not think it, we also started out like you are doing now, hell even Elron was just a gangly teen back then and I had to drag a few bullies off of him during break times."

"That fiend. He probably knew that with what he saw, I'd put you in Juliet's role and I actually understand why you would audition for a lesser role, but don't think of it as arrogant. Think of it more along the lines of...you have no experience and would like to build up more experience through doing minor roles and working up to the main roles."

She smiled as he spoke fondly of Elron and nodded as he advised her.

"But right now you are in a main role and if you ever have a problem feel free to talk to me or Elron."

Claire had no time to thank him for his offer before he continued;

"Even though you may not think it, we also started out like you are doing now, hell even Elron was just a gangly teen back then and I had to drag a few bullies off of him during break times."

She laughed then, finding it all to easy to imagine.

" ... well ... it is a bit overwhelming at times ... "

She confessed.

"I really wanted to get it all right ... but everyone has been so friendly ... and they all seem really keen to make things work, so we're all in it together ... "

She smiled at him.

"I never realised just intense those middle acts are for Juliet. Things go so rapidly down hill after the marriage. It's tricky to get an emotional handle on all of that. The parental bit, I've plenty of experience of ... "

She rolled her eyes sure that Elron would have related some of what happened when he'd visited.

" ... but that depth of attraction and devotion is difficult ... though it will probably be easier when we actually 'act it out'. Juliet's role is definitely very ... physical ... all action and reaction with the other characters and then that ... stillness ... when she's soul-searching and preparing herself to act.

She picked out her text and flicked through it.

"I know most of the main speeches, but I've still got a load of lines to learn for the rapid interactions and of course some of Juliet's speeches from that middle sequence ..."

Back