Dark Receiver

Claire watched as he transformed himself, giving her a taste of his acting range.

"I can see why you and Elron get on so well ... "

She commented admiringly.

"I doubt I'll ever be able to do that ... "

Claire wished that she could 'become' different characters with such ease.

"I don't know Comedy of Erros, but everyone knows 'The Shrew'.
I could never quite make up my mind which role I'd want to play ... "

She sipped thoughtfully as if considering.

"Kindness in women, not their beauteous looks,
Shall win my love:"

She murmured.

"I don't think I'm a Bianca or a Kate ... "

Glen Kane

"Well once you know what you want from the character, I'm sure you can be any person you would want to be. Of course slipping from one character to another takes a bit of training and we used to do it for fun, to see if we could do it seamlessly. Of course Elron always won, he is just born for the stage, how he stayed away from it for so long I do not know."

He finished his sandwich and sat back to sip on his coffee.

"What do you think of the show so far? I feel rather satisfied, if we can continue at this pace, we will get in a lot of rehearsal and even get a few days of pure nothing in there as well."

"Well once you know what you want from the character, I'm sure you can be any person you would want to be. Of course slipping from one character to another takes a bit of training and we used to do it for fun, to see if we could do it seamlessly. Of course Elron always won, he is just born for the stage, how he stayed away from it for so long I do not know."

She laughed imagining him and Elron having fun and competing together. She had never had such a close friend and in one way envied their closeness.

"What do you think of the show so far? I feel rather satisfied, if we can continue at this pace, we will get in a lot of rehearsal and even get a few days of pure nothing in there as well."

She rolled her eyes in mock horror.

"Pace is right. Elron did warn me about you ..."

She put down her finished coffee and considered.

"I have nothing to compare it by, but ... everyone seems so keen and always ready to work through and improve on scenes.. even without you breathing down our necks ... "

She through him a sassy grin.

"If we can get alot of rehearsal, then that has to be good, though, right?"

Glen Kane

"Very good to be honest. The show nights will follow each other so quickly that there should be no hitches in any place, it should be as smooth as silk."

He chuckled,

"I am also sure that Elron overstated the situation, he is an actor after all, going larger than life is his forte."

"Very good to be honest. The show nights will follow each other so quickly that there should be no hitches in any place, it should be as smooth as silk.
I am also sure that Elron overstated the situation, he is an actor after all, going larger than life is his forte."

She laughed and nodded.

"Yup that's Elron ... a nice guy though ... you two are lucky to have such a great friendship ... you obviously care alot about him ... makes me almost jealous.... "

Glen Kane

"The one who deserves my devotion gets all of it, just think what I give to the one I love."

He sipped his coffee, his eyes laughing at her over the rim of his cup.

"Just how late do you plan on getting home? You do know that the next bus is only around midnight and it is past eight now. Don't tell me that you are going to walk."

"The one who deserves my devotion gets all of it, just think what I give to the one I love."

He was quoting again, she concluded, but just what play or what character he was playing now, she didn't know.

"Just how late do you plan on getting home?
You do know that the next bus is only around midnight and it is past eight now. Don't tell me that you are going to walk."

Claire's eyes widened as she checked her watch.

"It's later than I thought ... "

Her parents were going to be angry either way, so it hardly mattered what time she got home, just as long as she did so eventually.

"I'm not walking now ... "

She grimaced.

"I guess I could go catch a film ... or carry on overdosing on caffeine ... "

She shrugged.

" ... or go copy out the bus timetable for future reference.. "

She laughed.

Glen Kane

He chuckled,

"Oh believe me, one season in the theater and you will know the schedule by heart, spend a few years and you will feel it in your bones. You should try riding the "End-line" bus."

He grinned,

"I call it that because I heard "End of the line" so much on the bus, it usually gave me a lot of time and freedom to study."

Finishing his coffee he stretched out,

"You could always stay here and ask me that question you wanted to ask when you saw me a few minutes ago."

Claire Westall

”Oh believe me, one season in the theater and you will know the schedule by heart, spend a few years and you will feel it in your bones. You should try riding the “End-line” bus.”
I call it that because I heard “End of the line” so much on the bus, it usually gave me a lot of time and freedom to study.”

She had definitely spent plenty of study time that evening and definitely caught up with the work she had missed the day before. Glen’s anecdote of the ‘end of the line’ bus made Claire consider anew trying to find somewhere to stay in town rather than heading home every night, though travelling back and forth in itself wasn’t the problem ...

“You could always stay here and ask me that question you wanted to ask when you saw me a few minutes ago.”

She pretended to frown.

”You are a hard taskmaster!”

She commented and then glanced back at her notes having temporarily forgotten what it was she had a query about ...

”Oh yes .. well ... I was just checking through my scenes ... checking how they were running and all that ... and well... was just looking at Act III, Scene V ... “

She watched as he mentally thumbed through the script.

” .. morning after the night before ... it’s such a pivotal scene ... but... I don’t feel it’s .. intense ... enough yet ... “

She let her eyes run down the dialogue.

”I guess it’s something I should work through with Elron ... like the Paris-Juliet scene today ... that just ‘clicked’ ... but this one ... “

She shrugged and laughed wondering if he had a way he’d like it played or if he would agree with her that she and Elron should go over and over it to work out the right approach ...

Glen Kane

"Ah yes, the time where she wants to hold onto him, not to go, wishing for the lark to not be a lark."

He smiled,

"And he the one who is sad to leave, but yet he has to go before he gets caught as the marriage is not sanctioned by the houses."

He steepled his fingers,

"OK instead of starting with Act five tomorrow, we will run through that scene until you feel at peace with it."

He held up a hand, cutting off any protest,

"You are a the most important character at the moment, what you want, we will do. And just like the rapier fencers I will drill you guys into the ground if that is what it takes."

"Ah yes, the time where she wants to hold onto him, not to go, wishing for the lark to not be a lark. And he the one who is sad to leave, but yet he has to go before he gets caught as the marriage is not sanctioned by the houses."

She nodded at his stark summary.

"OK instead of starting with Act five tomorrow, we will run through that scene until you feel at peace with it."

She hadn't intended him to reschedule the rehearsals, but Glen dismissed her protests with a wave of a hand.

"You are a the most important character at the moment, what you want, we will do. And just like the rapier fencers I will drill you guys into the ground if that is what it takes."

She shrugged accepting his decision, not that she had any choice to do otherwise.

"Elron will probably kill me for this ... "

She commented.

"Good thing he's a good actor ... just for goodness sakes don't let him stand up for Lord Capulet in the later scenes. I could end up with worse than this ... "

She indicated the cut on her arm with a laugh.

Glen Kane

He chuckled,

"Oh they will not even know why we are doing it so relax."

He chuckled and placed down his now empty cup,

"I'm sure that he would rather dive out of the window than hurt you, our Elron really took a liking to you."

He looked at her, studying her basically,

"Can I ask you a personal question?"

"Oh they will not even know why we are doing it so relax."

Claire nodded, reassured.

"I'm sure that he would rather dive out of the window than hurt you, our Elron really took a liking to you."

She smiled at his words. She definitely owed Elron alot. Without his guidance, she would never have even read for Juliet ...

"Can I ask you a personal question?"

Claire eyed him curiously wondering what he could possibly be wanting to ask her.

"Errm.. sure... ask away ... "

She invited.

Glen Kane

"This may seem a bit out of there, but you never really had any friends or should I say really close friends?"

He knew it was a silly question, but somehow he just felt like it was part of the puzzle that was Claire's parents.

"This may seem a bit out of there, but you never really had any friends or should I say really close friends?"

She was surprised by his query, phrased almost like an observation.
She shook her head and bit back a sigh.

"No one close no ... "

She remained silent for long moments.

"I guess in a way I'm Juliet ... smothered by parents ... decisions made for her ... "

She shrugged thinking it made her sound like a very sad case indeed, but she felt she could be honest with Glen.

"No Romeo for me though ... "

She commented.

" ... perhaps just as well considering how it turned out for them ... "

He knew it was a silly question, but somehow he just felt like it was part of the puzzle that was Claire's parents.[/QUOTE]

She was surprised by his query, phrased almost like an observation.
She shook her head and bit back a sigh.

"No one close no ... "

She remained silent for long moments.

"I guess in a way I'm Juliet ... smothered by parents ... decisions made for her ... "

She shrugged thinking it made her sound like a very sad case indeed, but she felt she could be honest with Glen.

"No Romeo for me though ... "

She commented.

" ... perhaps just as well considering how it turned out for them ... "

Glen Kane

He found that interesting,

"Well at least I can state that you now have two friends, no matter what your parents say...or wait you have three friends."

He smiled,

"And you can be sure that they will not easily let you go."

"Well at least I can state that you now have two friends, no matter what your parents say...or wait you have three friends.
And you can be sure that they will not easily let you go."

As usual, his words were kind.

"Three... you mean Abigail as well?"

She guessed.

"It's not so bad ... "

She shrugged, feeling comfortable and unguarded with him.

"... and who knows ... maybe some day I'll be whisked off my feet and find out what Act III, Scene V is all about ... "

She laughed.

Glen Kane

He grinned,

"Theater, Elron and me, oh we can add Abigail if you feel like Theater is not woman enough."

Chuckling he motioned a waiter over,

"I'll take a mega orange juice, I know that the lovely lady will have coffee, but what exactly I'm not sure."

"Theater, Elron and me, oh we can add Abigail if you feel like Theater is not woman enough."

She laughed at that.

"I'll take a mega orange juice, I know that the lovely lady will have coffee, but what exactly I'm not sure."

She smiled and ordered a cappucinno, relaxing back companionably as they chatted.

"So ... as we're being personal ... is the Theater the only woman in your life..?"

She had concluded that Glen had lived alone before allowing Elron to move in with him, but concluded that he must have a girlfriend of some kind ...
She didn't ask about Elron as she had gathered from a few stray remarks that he had been seeing someone recently, though what the current status of that relationship was was none of her concern ...

Glen Kane

He chuckled,

"The only woman who will take me as I am yes. Oh I did date a lady a few months ago, but that didn't end well. She got jealous about the time I spent with the theater and when she had a go at me we had some bitter words and I haven't seen her since."

"The only woman who will take me as I am yes. Oh I did date a lady a few months ago, but that didn't end well. She got jealous about the time I spent with the theater and when she had a go at me we had some bitter words and I haven't seen her since."

Claire rolled her eyes.

"That doesn't bode well for me ... guess the theatre will be a demanding mate ... "

Unlike his ex-ladyfriend Claire understood that the theatre had to come first.

"... guess there's a lack of patient partners out there ... "

It seemed that playing Juliet was going to doom her to singledom.

Glen Kane

He chuckled,

"Yes she can be demanding, but she forgives you much easier than any human ever could."

Their order arrived and he paid for them both, slipping in enough to cover her tab. The waiter who knew him very well by now, just nodded and smiled before he left.

"I found that is much easier to go along with somebody who knows and loves the theater. Life isn't all doom and gloom unless you are Shakespear."

He chuckled at his own remark.

"Yes she can be demanding, but she forgives you much easier than any human ever could.
I found that is much easier to go along with somebody who knows and loves the theater. Life isn't all doom and gloom unless you are Shakespear."

She laughed and stirred the chocolatey froth.

" ... I guess a life of toil and tragedy would be suitably theatrical ... "

She mused.

"... would you ever act in one of your own plays?"

She asked curiously.

"Or would you need to take the overview, keep the control ...?"

Glen Kane

"Well if Elron does the directing I might even consider it, there is not lot of directors that would be able to see the play the way I would see it and I don't want to do both, acting and directing will just make me a mediocre and that is something I wish to evade."

He sipped his juice,

"Maybe some time in the future I'll get my way or if things don't want to come to that end I'll just force it into my way."

He smiled,

"Some things are meant to be, for everything else there is Mastercard,"

he chuckled at his own joke.

Back