Can it be done? Second person POV

I think for those of us that approach writing as a craft it's a little used tool. My curiosity comes from a.) wondering if I could do it and b.) wondering how it would be received by the general reading population of Lit.

I think for those of us that approach writing as a craft it's a little used tool. My curiosity comes from a.) wondering if I could do it and b.) wondering how it would be received by the general reading population of Lit.

I might give this a try just to try it. It's an interesting exercise, like writing 750-word stories.

Agreed. It's the challenge/exercise inherent to it that makes it appealing. There's a decent chance whatever I write could have been served better by a different point of view. But I won't know until I try.

I kind of hope not.... I think I suggested this as a joke several months ago. Lol

Now I'm starting to become really curious to see what everyone comes up with.

Give it few years and it will be Lit's newest and least popular annual contest.

@StillStunned maybe you should talk to Laurel about a 2nd POV challenge. Seems like you've sparked interest in it.
Let's see how we get along with these stories. If they all crash and burn, we'll know it's just something for the writers to play around with, not something the readers want.

We'd have to have a sad little "2P POV" corner, where we sit around and tell each other what to do.

I have a story where one of the characters makes ASMR videos. Most of the story is in third person, but there are some shifts into Second Person when narrating the ASMR scenes. A lot of ASMR is filmed as if the camera is a person. I think it works, and no one has ever complained, though the story around it was not my best. It's like an early prototype of things I would do better later

I have a story where one of the characters makes ASMR videos. Most of the story is in third person, but there are some shifts into Second Person when narrating the ASMR scenes. A lot of ASMR is filmed as if the camera is a person. I think it works, and no one has ever complained, though the story around it was not my best. It's like an early prototype of things I would do better later
I'm reading it now. So far 2P POV works.

I am just about to submit my Second Person Stunner, which also happens to be a 750 word challenger, and suitable for Pink Orchid. Triple dipping!

I am just about to submit my Second Person Stunner, which also happens to be a 750 word challenger, and suitable for Pink Orchid. Triple dipping!
Good luck! I hope it does better than mine. So far, a handful of people seem to like it, but it's struggling.

And by "struggling" I mean "struggling to stay at the mid-3s". So far the favourite rating seems to be a 2.

Good luck! I hope it does better than mine. So far, a handful of people seem to like it, but it's struggling.

And by "struggling" I mean "struggling to stay at the mid-3s". So far the favourite rating seems to be a 2.

Thank you. I think when you write such short stories, and from an unpopular POV at that, it's difficult to please the majority of readers and it's natural for your score to suffer a little bit. That being said, I am sure there's someone out there that's got a thing for this sort of tale, just like there's probably someone out there that likes big green donkey dicks. Different strokes for different folks!

I've left a comment on yours but it needs moderator approval before it becomes visible.

Thanks! Comments on my stories usually get approved all at once, in early evening European time (AKA the best time).

It's definitely not a pandering-to-the-masses story, even though it's a mother-unspecified child incest story. Deep down I suppose I hoped it would be a smash hit, but realistically it never was going to be. Still, it was an interesting exercise, and I'm glad it's convinced other writers here to stretch their writing muscles and give it a try.

Now we'll have to brace ourselves for the wave of complaints from readers about 2P POV flooding the New Stories lists.

Thanks! Comments on my stories usually get approved all at once, in early evening European time (AKA the best time).

It's definitely not a pandering-to-the-masses story, even though it's a mother-unspecified child incest story. Deep down I suppose I hoped it would be a smash hit, but realistically it never was going to be. Still, it was an interesting exercise, and I'm glad it's convinced other writers here to stretch their writing muscles and give it a try.

Now we'll have to brace ourselves for the wave of complaints from readers about 2P POV flooding the New Stories lists.
I liked it. I'm not as opposed to 2nd Person POV as some people are, so there is that to keep in mind. But, it was a well-written, enjoyable little tale. Five Stars and a Comment ffrom me. :)

Thanks! The score is slowly but steadily creeping upwards.

I just hope I haven't started a new fashion. I don't want the whole next generation to only write 2P POV stories.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have perused your vane attempt at that which should not be done. But I may know of evidence that the score for that particular story, the one I'll never in my life admit I even know the name of, the one I told you not to ask me to read, just might have gone up a bit in the past few moments.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have perused your vane attempt at that which should not be done. But I may know of evidence that the score for that particular story, the one I'll never in my life admit I even know the name of, the one I told you not to ask me to read, just might have gone up a bit in the past few moments.
In dark corners, in shady alleys, the dregs of society whisper the name of the style in hushed tones. "Second person point of view."

But thanks anyway!

Back