Third person POV

dasgoodshit

Really Experienced
Of all third person povs, I love third person limited- it just feels more intense, ya know? Anyway, I've got a story where the first act is limited for one character, the third act is limited for another character, and the second is omniscient because both of my characters demand that I depict their thoughts and feelings! I don't know what to do; I'm having trouble finding anything online about switching between types of third person povs, only that the pov can be changed from character to character when in limited.

The problem is that the pov switching is too frequent to be anything other than omniscient. I've been rewriting the middle act for weeks, trying to find a fixed, limited pov that I like and I just can't decide.

Is it possible to change the type of pov during a story? I don't know how well that would read.

I think it's doable if you establish the POV as soon as possible in the chapter/act/scene. The big problem for me as a reader is when the author establishes a 3d person limited POV for character A and then during the scene begins carelessly switching POVs from A to B. I think you can make just about anything work if you are clear about it and get the pattern established early on.

I think it's doable if you establish the POV as soon as possible in the chapter/act/scene. The big problem for me as a reader is when the author establishes a 3d person limited POV for character A and then during the scene begins carelessly switching POVs from A to B. I think you can make just about anything work if you are clear about it and get the pattern established early on.
I'm with this with the slight caveat that the switching needs to stand on significant reason more than just a POV switch giving a tiny bit more juice to a particular scene/chapter interactions.

And at some point, you risk readers tiring of multiple switches, a low key reason being a forced "held at afar" perspective when you've been giving free access in chapters prior. It's often worse feeling a thing taken away than never having the thing at all.

No shade to the OP but few here should be attempting higher difficulty dives until they are stone cold solid on the basics. Newish/hobbyist authors often overvalue flourishes as contributing mightily to overall story quality when it's more the more work a day fundamentals that do the yeoman's work of carrying a piece.

POV switches back and forth is a heavy tool and it's worth exploring if there might more nuanced ways to show 90% of what you want to show while mitigating a lot of the risks.

But, of course, it's all piece dependant and difficult to diagnose a la the interwebs.

I'm having trouble finding anything online about switching between types of third person povs, only that the pov can be changed from character to character when in limited.
You can change the perspective and POV any time you want. There is no law restricting it. You should avoid jumping back and forth between POVs too often because that can get confusing, but that's advice, not a rule. If you can pull it off, you can do whatever you want.

Switching types of 3PPOV's - I can't think of any time I've ever seen it done.

It would be weird. What would be the "explanation" for it? When first-person POV's switch or when first-person and third-person switch, it's just, OK, narrator has changed. But multiple third-person narrators?

What's the gimmick? Why does this make sense for your story? I assume you discovered that you need this for a particular story and this question isn't just coming from a place of "hey, what if I wrote a story this way."

Why would your third-person limited POV not simply be the first-person POV of one of the in-universe characters? How, within the story, would it be explained that narration is sometimes reliable and sometimes unreliable?

I don't know, show me it can be done, but I'm not too confident.

It sounds a bit interesting of a way to do things... atypical style, without a doubt, but I feel like if your story is riveting enough and you handle the switching of POVs writing in third smoothly while still having connecting factors, it would make for a very entertaining read. Could I write it? Probably not, but I would love to read it.

But multiple third-person narrators?
Limited, yes, so not really narrators because it is third person, really more of a glimpse into their minds.
What's the gimmick? Why does this make sense for your story? I assume you discovered that you need this for a particular story and this question isn't just coming from a place of "hey, what if I wrote a story this way."
Basically, it's a hot scene and neither of my characters will stand down; they both claim the right to have their minds spilled onto the page. For the few months that I've been writing, I've believed in letting the characters do what they want, but it still feels weird.

Basically, it's a hot scene and neither of my characters will stand down; they both claim the right to have their minds spilled onto the page.
Characters do this. While it is right to pay attention to them, to give them voice and agency in the retelling of their story, there comes a point where you have to exercise final authority to keep the thing on the rails.

There are a myriad of ways to voice characters inner thoughts and feelings that aren't nearly as complicated as multiple POV switches and don't carry the risk of being as jarring if you make a false step on the tightrope.
I've believed in letting the characters do what they want, but it still feels weird.
Free flow free ranging your characters can be good when you are struggling to get creativity going but the POV considerations stage feels further down the line into the nuts and bolts area decisions for a work.
For the few months that I've been writing,
It's hard to convey just how difficult it is to do what you seemingly want to do and do well, especially considering your experience.

Many posters are correct in that it is possible and that is true. But it's not for the inexperienced or the faint hearted. In most cases, those who would be able to pull it off have enough technical knowledge there isn't doubt creep that has them asking on forums if/how they might accomplish it.

Could I write it? Probably not
@seraph_nocturne has doubts about accomplishing it and her catalog shows a technical proficiency above the norm here.

Don't let the character inmates run the asylum. Give them earned respect, listen well, and do your best to convey their stories in a representative way.

But you've got a madhouse to administer and while their input can lead to improvements for all, you have the more overarching viewpoint and a duty to whittle everything that is a project (outlines, character interviews, settings, themes, etc. etc.) into readable fiction.

Many posters are correct in that it is possible and that is true. But it's not for the inexperienced or the faint hearted. In most cases, those who would be able to pull it off have enough technical knowledge there isn't doubt creep that has them asking on forums if/how they might accomplish it.
This is truth. You'll know when you're up to it, because one day, one story, you'll just do it (Nike writing). You'll know it, and readers will tell you.

Of all third person povs, I love third person limited- it just feels more intense, ya know? Anyway, I've got a story where the first act is limited for one character, the third act is limited for another character, and the second is omniscient because both of my characters demand that I depict their thoughts and feelings! I don't know what to do; I'm having trouble finding anything online about switching between types of third person povs, only that the pov can be changed from character to character when in limited.

The problem is that the pov switching is too frequent to be anything other than omniscient. I've been rewriting the middle act for weeks, trying to find a fixed, limited pov that I like and I just can't decide.

Is it possible to change the type of pov during a story? I don't know how well that would read.
I’ve never written limited third person, so what do I know?

But, in my first person work, I have changed narrator. I always do it for a reason - normally as the main narrator has a plan I don’t want to reveal it until later. Canonically I have two FMCs each narrating different parts of the story in Caputpedes.

I always make the shift in a new chapter or section. I.e. after a new chapter title or at least after a section break if my work doesn't have titled chapters.

And I always mention the previous narrator by name in the first sentence, and try to do so again in the first paragraph, so there is no room for misunderstanding.

I think this is easier for readers.

Em

Last edited:
Several different viewpoints here. Overall, it seems like the risk isn't worth the reward. I'm going to lay down the law and go with the perspective of the hornier character.

Back