Big Day Tomorrow

Smoot poses as a black man trying to break the cycle of drugs and jail...nobody helps him.

Melissa poses as a white chick trying to break the cycle of drugs and jail...everyone's on board.

I encouraged smoot to go back to school.

I made a deal with my stepfather. He lined up a job for me, with the understanding that if I worked for a year and banked most of the money, he would foot the bill for me to go to college.

I did not hold up my end of the bargain. By the time the year was over, I was addicted to drugs, had lost the job and my life was in a downward spiral.

I spent years digging myself into a hole, and more years climbing out of it.

Now, finally, I am ready. I am ten years late, but I am ready.

It's community college for now, but classes start tomorrow.

Best of luck!

It's been a long day, but well worth it. Thank you to everyone who offered advice and good wishes.

I don't know who Smoot is, but I'd be happy to offer him any support I can.

You know that McDonalds commercial where the guy comes in with the admissions letter to college and they are all happy for him when it turns out he's been accepted?

Well, here we are looking at you.

It's been said the true measure of a man, I will add woman, is not how far they fall but how high they rebound. May your rebound be high and glorious.

so did I, as well as others. He did for a bit. Maybe he will do it eventually.

The seed has been planted.

It's been a long day, but well worth it. Thank you to everyone who offered advice and good wishes.

I don't know who Smoot is, but I'd be happy to offer him any support I can.

Just another one of us.

And look what happened... he did time for slanging rocks on the middle school playground.

I never promised smoot a rose garden.

giphy.gif

You got this, Sis Meliss. ;)

Glad to hear of the positives you are filling your life with.

Hello, MB.

May I be so bold to say ...Way to go!

I would a hell of a lot rather be on the road up than the road down!

And there is this.

You are a lot wiser Now than you started out. Money can buy you a higher education but what you learned can't be bought or really taught in a regular class well.

However, you do have the experience to advise someone and when they are ready they will listen because YOU have been there.

There are few people I respect more of than a person that is brave enough to realize they are in trouble and do what it takes to recover.

Take it how you will or not...but may God bless and keep you!

Hello, MB.

May I be so bold to say ...Way to go!

I would a hell of a lot rather be on the road up than the road down!

And there is this.

You are a lot wiser Now than you started out. Money can buy you a higher education but what you learned can't be bought or really taught in a regular class well.

However, you do have the experience to advise someone and when they are ready they will listen because YOU have been there.

There are few people I respect more of than a person that is brave enough to realize they are in trouble and do what it takes to recover.

Take it how you will or not...but may God bless and keep you!

Because I have written about my struggles for Lit, I've had some people contact me to talk about theirs. I don't know how much wisdom I can offer, but I can at least be a listening ear.

Thank you for your kind words.

Because I am a troll, I don't want to say too much. But I will say this: Godspeed, MelissaBaby. As an adult student, you might find yourself in a far better headspace to both appreciate and critique the educational opportunities than if you had taken classes earlier. And this might be especially true in your particular cohort.

Because I am a troll, I don't want to say too much. But I will say this: Godspeed, MelissaBaby. As an adult student, you might find yourself in a far better headspace to both appreciate and critique the educational opportunities than if you had taken classes earlier. And this might be especially true in your particular cohort.

Thank you, Mr. Troll. :)

i hope the week ahead treats you well. enjoy your education. :)

Back