Anyone Else Ever Dealt With a Toxic Boss?

So...

I got a new job this September and was hired in September first as a parttime Cake Decorator.

I love the actual cake decorating part, the bakery manager is something else...

I am trying to grin and bear it but I'm starting to wonder if I'm cut out for the job. Ever since I started working there I have been criticized by the bakery manager. They have had issues with the manager with this kind of thing before. I hear she and others are mean to certain other people who have been there years longer than I. It takes a lot to ruffle my feathers but I am reaching my limit.

Each day I fear when I go into work that I have done something wrong without intention.

I am trying to be nice as possible to the manager when I go into work but I just feel defeated and deflated whenever I start my day, which doesn't help the creativity process.

I feel like she looks around at my decorating station to LOOK for things to criticize over when I come in. I think I have only received THREE compliment on her to "keep up the good work" and those are half-assed I feel like. The manager is only ever happy when she finds something to criticize.

When my coworkers are around all I hear is bad gossip about them when everyone is older and retired and work part time one to two days a week. I'm pretty sure the bakery manager gossips about me and another girl when we aren't there.

I am going to see how this week goes I think and go from there...They seem afraid of loosing their cake decorator so we will see what happens...I have already had to threaten to file a harassment form for the bakery manager in my first month in and have had to had one of the lower-upper-manager who hired me in to speak with her.

I am someone who likes getting along with everyone and could give two shits about gossiping about others. I am trying to decide if the parttime job is worth keeping with the environment...I am reaching my limit of being discouraged constantly.

:( :( :( :(

Yes I have had this also. I was very professional and did my best at work and had great reports all my life. All of a sudden a change of manager and I was the worst worker ever. I could not do it right for doing it wrong.

After I done research, I found it was a thing about my religion and my soccer team and he was a bigot.

I went to the guy above him and explained the problem and requested he keep an eye on the situation, as my work life was becoming unbearable. And if need be I would resign and sue the company.

A few weeks later the problem manager went on holiday. It was great without him and myself and others were very productive in a better atmosphere.

A week later my stand in manager called me in for a chat. He informed me that the problem manger (only 50’ish) had died in his sleep while on holiday 🙈

It was no cause for celebration. Despite the fact he had made my life a misery, I never wished him to die. But all of a sudden the atmosphere changed.

So hold on in there mate and have a great time.

Yes. I'm still dealing with the last one. She pulled a Dickens' Christmas tale with me. I'll be going back to the job soon. Thankfully, she is long gone.

Yes I have had this also. I was very professional and did my best at work and had great reports all my life. All of a sudden a change of manager and I was the worst worker ever. I could not do it right for doing it wrong.

After I done research, I found it was a thing about my religion and my soccer team and he was a bigot.

I went to the guy above him and explained the problem and requested he keep an eye on the situation, as my work life was becoming unbearable. And if need be I would resign and sue the company.

A few weeks later the problem manager went on holiday. It was great without him and myself and others were very productive in a better atmosphere.

A week later my stand in manager called me in for a chat. He informed me that the problem manger (only 50’ish) had died in his sleep while on holiday 🙈

It was no cause for celebration. Despite the fact he had made my life a misery, I never wished him to die. But all of a sudden the atmosphere changed.

So hold on in there mate and have a great time.
So you’ll be a Celtic fan then….

Bad bosses, unless they are the owner, eventually get discovered and fired themselves. Once in a blue moon somebody may get away with being an AH and retire on their terms but eventually upper management figures it out and fires them. The key word is eventually. This process can take years. In the mean time, they would have unjustly fired people or cause people to suffer mental breakdowns, etc.

Once had a boss come in and make it clear to everyone that she wanted to put her stamp on the place, the atmosphere immediately changed, and not for the good. The most hilarious of the new regime being my Sunday morning opening up the shop... and the safe combination having been changed.

She got ANGRY at me for calling for the new safe combination that had not been communicated to me. She's the one that had me scheduled for Sunday morning, she knew I would need to get the cash tills from the safe. And she was YELLING at me on the phone before telling me to call the assistant manager to get the combination from her instead. So I called asst. mgr Cynthia who proceeds to tell me 1) the safe combination with no hassle 2) about the meeting with all the department leads where this combination was communicated out which I was not invited to and 3) how she herself was putting in her notice on Monday.

I gave my notice shortly thereafter, 10 weeks after the new boss came in. I LOVED my college job and had poured my heart into it for 3+ years, but I could not take anymore of it. Within those ten weeks of hell, she had turned over 38 of the 65 employees in the building. Do the math.

The place shut down less than two years later, and about half of the crew that had left wound up working for the competitor across town.
I've had a few of these bosses over the years. Been at my workplace for 24 years, one co worker has been there for 28. New boss comes in thinks they can change the culture of the place blah blah blah. Ends up getting it all wrong, makes a mess, people leave, then boss leaves and everyone else just has to cope with the damage. Not once have I seen such a culture changing boss make a positive difference.

the non-profit world is fucking brutal sometimes. finally at a place that treats their employees decently (still debatable) but the last place i was at was hell on earth. was overworked/stressed to the point i almost checked myself into a hospital. management was shit and constantly took advantage of us, gaslit us, never supported us and even had the audacity to lie to funders about our stats to get even more funding, only to see that money being used inappropriately.

it was the worst!! 7 employees quitting within 2 months on a team that only consisted of 12 people was the wakeup call they needed lmao i recently learned that it’s shutting down so good fucking riddance

I've had some bad bosses and I've been both a bad boss and a bad employee. I do have a rule: never work for fat people. I'm not talking a bit overweight, I'm talking morbid obesity. Like diabetics who eat cakes. I have named two former bosses Jabba the Hutt, because. I have threatened to kick an ass or two, and I have had the hammer thrown at me. I have tried to pay attention and to learn from my mistakes. I'm being paid to do X and not for my opinion (unless that is my X, which it never has been).

I'm fortunate for the job I have today, and I am thankful to be here. I have been coming all this time to be here now, like that 1958 quarter.

Yes, many times. The Army tends to attract “A” type personalities and in most cases this is a good thing. I mean you want someone who’s aggressive on the battlefield and can make quick decisions. However, to many of these leaders become toxic when they let their egos run their life and management style. When it becomes a “do as I say not as I do” work environment the morale slips and employees leave or act out. Yeah, I know Soldiers can’t leave (legally) but retention/reenlistment rates are a key indicator. Then, when these leaders get out of the service they bring the same management strategy to the civilian side of the street. That don’t play here.

Back