As The Hospital Pervs

Status
Not open for further replies.
outside.gif

I think to some extent, we have to care for our patients. If we don't, are we really any good to them? I see burned out nurses all the time; I don't want to become like that.

I'm not sure it's even possible to flip a switch and turn off our jobs at the end of the day. It's too much a part of who we are instead of being just a job.

There is a group called the Burnt Out Policeman's Association. Their motto is "Only the Best get Burnt Out". I expect that is true of nurses as well.

There is a group called the Burnt Out Policeman's Association. Their motto is "Only the Best get Burnt Out". I expect that is true of nurses as well.
That's probably true. I wonder if it's even possible to do this job for so many years without becoming burned out.

That's probably true. I wonder if it's even possible to do this job for so many years without becoming burned out.

Seems we nurses get burned out and look for a job in another department. I suppose the grass is always greener in other departments, but we're quick to find that those nurses suffer from "compassion fatigue" too.
I don't know of any good answer, other than a mandatory month every year in the Carribbean with a cabana boy and some drinks with little umbrellas in them. Cheers!

That's the nice thing about nursing. If we get tired of being bedside nurses, we can transfer to another department or even another branch of nursing altogether. I miss the OR like crazy, but I don't want to go back as a circulator; I'll just wait a bit and go back as a CRNA. :D

I love your month in the Caribbean idea! Where do I sign up?

On a completely unrelated subject-

For those of you who have to buy your own scrubs, I just tried a brand I hadn't before - Utility Girl. Love 'em. Cheaper than IguanaMed, which I also love, and they have all the pockets/loops/etc. for everything you could possibly need to carry. And they're cute.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

On a completely unrelated subject-

For those of you who have to buy your own scrubs, I just tried a brand I hadn't before - Utility Girl. Love 'em. Cheaper than IguanaMed, which I also love, and they have all the pockets/loops/etc. for everything you could possibly need to carry. And they're cute.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
Are they soft? I love soft.

Seems we nurses get burned out and look for a job in another department. I suppose the grass is always greener in other departments, but we're quick to find that those nurses suffer from "compassion fatigue" too.
I don't know of any good answer, other than a mandatory month every year in the Carribbean with a cabana boy and some drinks with little umbrellas in them. Cheers!
I like where I am right now, and really feel like I found my house. I even put a lock, on a locker-- something I haven't done before. Before this place I worked in neurology and before that telemetry.

I should take more time off but at a minimum I stopped working overtime. It really helps. :rose:

That's the nice thing about nursing. If we get tired of being bedside nurses, we can transfer to another department or even another branch of nursing altogether. I miss the OR like crazy, but I don't want to go back as a circulator; I'll just wait a bit and go back as a CRNA. :D

I love your month in the Caribbean idea! Where do I sign up?
Let's go!

What about all the extra work? There are posters to make, and PI to do, and peer chart review!
That's what burns us out! And that's on top of a 6 or 7:1 ratio - with only one PCS and call bells constantly ringing.

Can you believe: One of my administrators pulled me out of a room where I was trying to take care of a patient in sustained V-tach. He wanted me to go, right then, and write something on a patient's whiteboard. Now, I realize that he's just an administrator and doesn't understand what I was doing, so I explained it as simply as I knew how. "I'm trying to take care of a patient in a potentially fatal heart rhythm. You want me to LEAVE him and go write on a whiteboard?" He said yes.

I told him to put it in writing and sign it, then I'd be glad to - as I turned to go back to my patient in V-tach. He's never said anything to me since about whiteboards.

That's what burns us out! And that's on top of a 6 or 7:1 ratio - with only one PCS and call bells constantly ringing.

Can you believe: One of my administrators pulled me out of a room where I was trying to take care of a patient in sustained V-tach. He wanted me to go, right then, and write something on a patient's whiteboard. Now, I realize that he's just an administrator and doesn't understand what I was doing, so I explained it as simply as I knew how. "I'm trying to take care of a patient in a potentially fatal heart rhythm. You want me to LEAVE him and go write on a whiteboard?" He said yes.

I told him to put it in writing and sign it, then I'd be glad to - as I turned to go back to my patient in V-tach. He's never said anything to me since about whiteboards.
Priorities! I love how administration spanks us. We got a beating the other day about 'patient flow.'

Apparently we are taking a long time moving patients out, and getting new patients in. Because it's always a great idea to rush sick people out of the ICU. Wow, I really don't care. I have to do my job, you know--- the whiteboard.

And then they started about transport and testing as if we can just zoom away to CT scan-- they want to know why we are holding up the transporters on jobs. :confused: Really?

Priorities! I love how administration spanks us. We got a beating the other day about 'patient flow.'

Apparently we are taking a long time moving patients out, and getting new patients in. Because it's always a great idea to rush sick people out of the ICU. Wow, I really don't care. I have to do my job, you know--- the whiteboard.

And then they started about transport and testing as if we can just zoom away to CT scan-- they want to know why we are holding up the transporters on jobs. :confused: Really?

Ah, it's the same in any type job. The people who are the most distance from what is actually going on are the ones making the decisions.

Ah, it's the same in any type job. The people who are the most distance from what is actually going on are the ones making the decisions.
Yes I guess-- it's ok, I don't want to run the show. I'm not wearing a long white lab coat and clicky heels.

Yes I guess-- it's ok, I don't want to run the show. I'm not wearing a long white lab coat and clicky heels.

All businesses, whether healthcare or anything else, need to give the employees actually doing the work, interfacing with customers (patients in your case) enough decision making power to do their jobs.
And, cut out as much of the bureaucratic bullshit as possible.

All businesses, whether healthcare or anything else, need to give the employees actually doing the work, interfacing with customers (patients in your case) enough decision making power to do their jobs.

Hmmmm.... not alcohol. Sounds like more of a hallucinogenic. 8)

Oh, because transporters are SOOOOO much more valuable a commodity than the ICU RNs who are keeping the patients breathing!

Hmmmm.... not alcohol. Sounds like more of a hallucinogenic. 8)

I've been fighting that battle in my line of work for, oh, about 35 years. It can be won, but the bigger the organization (think government) the less likely.

But the bureaucratic bullshit keeps the bureaucrats in a job! We can't cut the bullshit! They'd never allow it.

I've been fighting that battle in my line of work for, oh, about 35 years. It can be won, but the bigger the organization (think government) the less likely.

Someone (I can't recall who) once pointed out that it takes a bureaucracy to fight a bureaucracy. So the process is self-defeating. (Here comes the New Boss. Same as the Old Boss.)

I'd like to believe it is not 100% true.

And I salute any warrior who would attempt this Herculean task.

Someone (I can't recall who) once pointed out that it takes a bureaucracy to fight a bureaucracy. So the process is self-defeating. (Here comes the New Boss. Same as the Old Boss.)

I'd like to believe it is not 100% true.

And I salute any warrior who would attempt this Herculean task.
The sad truth is that the devil you know is usually better than the devil you don't know. How many times have we seen it? A bad boss leaves and we have such high hopes for the new boss - who turns out to be even worse than the predecessor.

The sad truth is that the devil you know is usually better than the devil you don't know. How many times have we seen it? A bad boss leaves and we have such high hopes for the new boss - who turns out to be even worse than the predecessor.

That's because it's the same administrators making the hiring decisions. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you could make any major changes to something as big as a hospital adminstration. I've only had experience with smaller companies, and even there, it's tough.

Are they soft? I love soft.

That was another thing I liked - they're much softer than the IguanaMeds out of the gate. The IMs will get soft after you wash them many, many times, but they're pretty starchy at the beginning.

But if you want REALLY soft, go with the "Grey's Anatomy" line from Life Uniform. I bought a pair of pants, but I might not wear them to work - they're so soft I want to wear them to bed! They don't have all the pockets and loops and stuff, though. I like for everything to have its place. Also they're unisex, and unisex tops tend to make me look a bit dumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back