A Real American Healthcare Story

bigsly

Literotica Guru
A lot is said about the American healthcare system on this Board. On April 1, my own foray into that system, and other areas of State and federal assistance, will be complete after about 10 months of deep-diving into it on behalf of someone else. I thought it might be enlightening to some to hear about one person's detailed journey.

I volunteer at my county's Senior Center. Toward the end of May 2019, I was asked to intake a new visitor. She was 64, a widower of an illegal immigrant who never worked a Social Security-taxed job, and had just started receiving medical bills from a health emergency that resulted in a 7 day hospital stay earlier in May. She had no health insurance. Her income fluctuated between approximately $300-$600 a month. She confided in me that she had around $700 cash stashed. She owned her very small, very modest old home and she was very worried about losing it because of what seemed to be significantly looming debt from her medical emergency.

She permitted me to legally advocate for her, which means with her authority I could discover all the information on her hospital experience as if I was her...

One day she was sent by a nurse at a local health clinic to the ER at the local hospital, where her condition was so serious they immediately admitted her into ICU. She was diagnosed with a deadly serious MRSP infection and Type 2 diabetes. They stabilized her in ICU and put her in a regular room the next day, where she healed over the next 6 days before she was released.

7 days of hospitalization, 5 different Doctors attending her over her entire ordeal, the initial ER visit and another one a couple of days after release, 4 followup visits after release, Xrays, scans, etc...

$29,022.

And she was just starting to get the first bills of that when I first met her, thus the cause of her increasing distress.

I've had knee surgery a couple of times, both back when dinosaurs walked the earth, and both of those times were totally covered to the point that I never even had to think about the financials about them. Since then, I've never had any kind of medical issue that required me to concern myself with the bureaucratic American health care system. So, this was all new to me.

The first thing we did was begin identifying and collecting all the charges/billing entailed in her hospital stay description above. After finding out about all the options her age and her far-below-poverty income qualified her for - charity programs from both the hospital and the two different agencies all 5 Doctors did their billing through - we managed to finally determine her full and complete financial liability for her medical emergency/hospital experience...

$1,259

Also because of her age and income, she was only required to pay $25 per month toward that balance. When she called me yesterday, it was with the gleeful news that she's paid-off that full amount, in 10 months - which was the happy inspiration for me relating this tale here today.

During her medical bill investigation, I also applied for Food Stamps for her, since her age and income seemed to qualify her. She was approved and began receiving $192 per month in food assistance which really brought a smile to her face. I also found out through Social Security that she had just enough credits to qualify for retirement benefits, even though she told me she hadn't worked for years and years and had no idea she qualified. She was approved for retirement benefits based on her work history and now gets around $1,000 a month. She laughingly told me it makes her feel like a Kardashian (although, just so you're aware dear reader, it's still below the US's federal poverty line). And because she was obviously nearing 65-years old, I began learning myself the particulars of Medicare on her behalf.

Which brings me to the April 1st end of this story, for that's the day her Medicare benefits kick in. She'll be fully covered medically starting then with all her Plan B costs payed for by her State's QMB Medical Savings Program and only having to pay $3 for whatever generic prescription she needs from here on out, and just $8 for any brand name prescription through Extra Help Plan D.

Less than a year ago, I first met a very scared lady worried about losing her home because she had suddenly fell deathly ill and had virtually no money to pay for it. Today, she's set for the rest of her life never having to worry about any of that at all. Think about her real story the next time you read about America's health care system.

Nice story.

The usual suspects are not only going to hate it,
but accuse you of lying by fiction...

:(

So you're saying everyone should be on medicare?

Yeah, I didn't even hint at that. But hey, you gotta do you.

Interesting fact I learned about senior healthcare: once you turn 65, you must have some sort of insurance (private or Medicare) that covers Plan B and Plan D, for if you don't, you will be fined monthly for not having any and that monthly fine will continue to increase as long as you don't have it. And if that doesn't suck enough, whenever you do begin coverage after not having any Plan B and/or D coverage and being fined monthly, whatever amount that monthly fine is when your coverage finally begins you'll pay monthly for the rest of your life.

What a deal.

Now tell about all the people who lost their homes because they couldn't pay their outrageous hospital Bill's. :)

I never had a reason to get into the nuts and bolts of how the various clients that I worked with got on Medicaid and how that all works but I did see and astonishing amount of care, support services and transportation provided to the indigent. Most of my work was with behavioral health clients but some of it involved methadone clinics or dialysis patients who had either a lifetime of being indigent or in some cases had simply become indigent as their health had degraded to the point that they really couldn't function or earn a living. Most of the people that I worked with were on some form of disability payments. I didn't get into the amounts or anything of that sort but none of them were self supporting.

I never had a reason to get into the nuts and bolts of how the various clients that I worked with got on Medicaid and how that all works but I did see and astonishing amount of care, support services and transportation provided to the indigent. Most of my work was with behavioral health clients but some of it involved methadone clinics or dialysis patients who had either a lifetime of being indigent or in some cases had simply become indigent as their health had degraded to the point that they really couldn't function or earn a living. Most of the people that I worked with were on some form of disability payments. I didn't get into the amounts or anything of that sort but none of them were self supporting.

You do realize that in this post you are admitting you have no idea how the system works and haven't even asked these patients about the source of these services but are just assuming it's all a big government handout, right?

Now tell about all the people who lost their homes because they couldn't pay their outrageous hospital Bill's. :)

With limited thinkers,
as this exemplar demonstrates,
the exception becomes the rule when
politics seemingly dominate their every waking moment...

Back