Apologizing to a Story

Duleigh

Just an old dog
I'm working on two stories at once, one is installment 3 of my homage to Terry Pratchett, the other is my entry into Summer Fun contest. I really am connected with both stories and I find myself working on a story for two days, then switching to the other story and put in two days of work because I want them ready about the same time.

The odd part I'm finding is that when I step back into Story B after dedicating 2 days with Story A, the characters aren't cooperating, it's almost like I have to apologize to them before they let me back in to their world. I'm finding that it takes a couple of hours to get into the spirit of the story and the dialogue starts to come to life and I can picture the settings properly. If I can't see the settings in my mind's eye, I can't get anything on the screen, it's like my characters are mutinying and hiding their world from me. I hate it when they do that.

Will you please stop looking over my shoulder? 🤣

Mine say it's too hot to do anything.

I work on 1 story on a particular day.

Monday is 1 story.
Tuesday is a different story.
Wednesday is a different story.

You get the drift.

At the end of the day, I type in any possible ideas for the story at the bottom of the page so that when I come back to it, I'm not starting from scratch.

I work on 1 story on a particular day.

Monday is 1 story.
Tuesday is a different story.
Wednesday is a different story.

You get the drift.

At the end of the day, I type in any possible ideas for the story at the bottom of the page so that when I come back to it, I'm not starting from scratch.
I do the very same thing. Any new ideas go at the bottom of the page in all caps so I don't lose them the minute I finish writing for the day.

I'm working on two stories at once, one is installment 3 of my homage to Terry Pratchett, the other is my entry into Summer Fun contest. I really am connected with both stories and I find myself working on a story for two days, then switching to the other story and put in two days of work because I want them ready about the same time.

The odd part I'm finding is that when I step back into Story B after dedicating 2 days with Story A, the characters aren't cooperating, it's almost like I have to apologize to them before they let me back in to their world. I'm finding that it takes a couple of hours to get into the spirit of the story and the dialogue starts to come to life and I can picture the settings properly. If I can't see the settings in my mind's eye, I can't get anything on the screen, it's like my characters are mutinying and hiding their world from me. I hate it when they do that.
I know the feeling. Happens to me as well when I finish a chapter from one series and then decide that the next item on my writing schedule is a chapter from the other series. It takes quite some time to get back into the world and characters...

I do the very same thing. Any new ideas go at the bottom of the page in all caps so I don't lose them the minute I finish writing for the day.
I'd wondered why you finish a lot of your published stories with a whole bunch of return carriages and then all-caps random snippets.

I’m amazed you can all write different stories.

I get a story and characters.
Get it written
Tweak and correct it.

Publish and say goodbye to them forever.

That’s the only way I can get stuff finished.

Publish and say goodbye to them forever.

That’s the only way I can get stuff finished.
I can't, I put so much emotional energy into my characters they become my cohorts. Octavia and Pommeraie de la Montesquieu Worblehat-Stein (Nick) have climbed to the top of the charts, I can't just dump them

I can't, I put so much emotional energy into my characters they become my cohorts. Octavia and Pommeraie de la Montesquieu Worblehat-Stein (Nick) have climbed to the top of the charts, I can't just dump them
I hear Octavia and I cum in my jeans. :love: :love: :love:

Fans of "The 100" know what I mean. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

(quality) Characters are essentially real people. And real people have flaws, needs, dramas, etc.

Deeper down the rabbit hole I go, the more they assert themselves from the beyond as authentic individuals and rarely are they swayed by my argument of their lack of corporeal form.

I've yet to have characters crossover stories for a Real Housewives of X catfight but a fog of dread on the horizon says it is absolutely coming.

womanyellingcat-1573233850.jpg

quality) Characters are essentially real people. And real people have flaws, needs, dramas, etc.

Deeper down the rabbit hole I go, the more they assert themselves from the beyond as authentic individuals and rarely are they swayed by my argument of their lack of corporeal form.

I've yet to have characters crossover stories for a Real Housewives of X catfight but a fog of dread on the horizon says it is absolutely coming.
Exactly! and they take up a lot of space in the cranium. Right now I'm doing a We're a Wonderful Wife and Stormwatch cross over while writing Empress 3 and preparing Andi's Dream so I have 9 MC's demanding their turn at the keyboard.

(quality) Characters are essentially real people. And real people have flaws, needs, dramas, etc.

This, absolutely. It's why I have so many interconnected stories. Bit characters from one story march into my writing place and stand there, tapping their fingers on the table (doing "slightly impatient waitress"), as if to say, "Well, it's my turn now. I can't sit around in your subconscious all day!"

This, absolutely. It's why I have so many interconnected stories. Bit characters from one story march into my writing place and stand there, tapping their fingers on the table (doing "slightly impatient waitress"), as if to say, "Well, it's my turn now. I can't sit around in your subconscious all day!"
Funnily enough this is why I struggle with shorter stories in terms of writing.

In my head they plant themselves there and scream “Avenge us! Tell our story to the world!” and so I have no choice but to get the details down as best I can. THE PROCESS is already going to be at 9,000 words by this weekend for the first part with little sign of slowing down but the story of Dennis Quad, Tara Turndyke, Will Smithers, Suzy Stormcup and Viscout James Fortescue Alobe the third (“Howdy y’all, and please, call me Jim. Everybody does”) amongst others needs to get out.

In my head they plant themselves there and scream “Avenge us! Tell our story to the world!” and so I have no choice but to get the details down as best I can. THE PROCESS is already going to be at 9,000 words by this weekend for the first part with little sign of slowing down but the story of Dennis Quad, Tara Turndyke, Will Smithers, Suzy Stormcup and Viscout James Fortescue Alobe the third
Things like this are exactly why it took me forever to write my first 750 word story... but after that I slammed out four more.

Back