Thoughts on a "warning" in a story foreword?

FreyaGersemi

Writer of Sexy Stuff
I'm posting a new story (my 10th) and I am CERTAIN that it will get some pushback. My other nine stories have all been pretty cock full of sexy situations and this one isn't. How do you all feel about a "warning" foreword? Here's mine:

I don't usually do a foreword, but I think that this story would benefit from one.

This is a story that fits into my series and it is more of a "moving the narrative along" kind of thing that oftentimes happens three quarters of the way through a series. Therefore, it contains much less sex and much more dialogue than my usual stories. If you're just looking for sex, please read
ANY of my other stories.

If you've gotten this far in my series (thank you!) and please continue reading with my assurance that this story is essential to the series as a whole.

Love, Frey

Thoughts? I hate "apologizing" for something that I don't think needs an apology. I like the story. It's just not as sexy as my others and if I just cram some sex into it, I feel that it wouldn't be right. That it would hurt the story and the series.

Help! And thanks!!

Your call on whether to do this. I’ve had plenty of series where things bog down and sex feels unnatural or gratuitous. I usually do warn readers in that case. I also get through the story quickly- I hate soap operas with nothing of note happening. Maybe you can also read over the plot again and find somewhere to put in sex or spice up existing short sex? Just a thought.

I wouldn't add it but that's just me.

If it's part of a series then it's part of the plot and anyone reading the series will need to keep up with the plot. It's totally normal in a series for some chapters to be (even much) sexier than others.

What the disclaimer really says is "You might find this one disappointing so don't downvote me for it", which sends the message that even the author isn't very confident with this one so why should I bother to even read it myself? It also means that you are writing for scores more than to tell stories. That's fine, you do you.

If your priority is a better score, put the disclaimer in. If your priority is to tell the story that's in you yearning to get out, skip the disclaimer and write with confidence.

I don't think that constitutes an apology, although it might be an apologia.
It probably won't make a great deal of difference to include it or not. Some people here feel very strongly one way or another about forewords and prefaces and suchlike, but the effect on reader behavior and reaction does not seem particularly strong, at least in general.
Given that you said it's part of a series, I doubt most people who are still reading after the first few chapters will be averse to an extra serving of plot here and there.

I for one appreciate notes like this, especially as it differs from the other stories in the series. I've opened a story with an author's note (I wouldn't call it a warning) that says "this story contains sexual violence or scat...etc)" and I nope out of there pretty quick because it's not my thing. Readers of your series will read on especially because you indicate that it's important information for the series going forward). Many stories have an author's note and I don't find it off-putting or anything.

In a series, the reader may have certain expectations based on the previous stories. For a one-off story, an author's note is probably not vital as you read it with no expectations and you NOPE out of it when it doesn't click with you. The longer the story is, the more appreciative I am of a note.

I'm in the 'let the work speak for itself' camp, personally. Forewords/author's notes/etc. don't particularly bother me, but in general I find they're unnecessary. I can see how a reader looking for something steamy might appreciate that particular heads up, though. Then again, if they're into your series they're going to want to know what happens.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it, but I don't do forwards. If I wrote a story I felt I had to explain before the readers read it, I think I would rewrite the section that I felt had to be explained.

Also, I think that, in terms of readers - those that are reading longer stories, especially serialized stories, aren't expecting hot sex in every chapter. They're in for the long ride and they understand the ebb and flow.

I might consider a link at the start of a chapter back to the beginning of the story. (e.g. "This is Chapter 18 of an ongoing story, which begins in Chapter 1.) Then, I'd reject that idea too and just not do it.

By all means. I have an almost-finished entry for the 750-word event which is definitely erotic but has no actual sex. It starts with just the same sore of warning.

I've opened a story with an author's note (I wouldn't call it a warning) that says "this story contains sexual violence or scat...etc)" and I nope out of there pretty quick because it's not my thing.
Thanks for noping out and not going postal on the author! I tag my stories with erotic horror, and add warnings in the foreword that they are, indeed, very graphic horror.

Still, I get feedback sent to me asking me what the fuck is wrong with me, after they for some reason kept on reading and dropped some singles in my pocket 😅

I'd use the forward. It wouldn't hurt, and it might help some readers with the story arc. I wouldn't say "If you're just looking for sex, please read ANY of my other stories." A simple note indicating the level of erotic content in the chapter would suffice.

I'm a big fan of a forward and almost always close with a thank you asking for a comment. This is especially useful if you're branching away from your usual fare. It's probably my imagination, but I think it draws my 'fans' in a little. My vote, go for it.

EDIT: This is pretty standard for me, as an example...(the story has 32.7K views(4.79/479), s I don't think it hurts)

This is a bit of a slow burn, but I think it is a wonderful story of love and family. I hope you enjoy it. As always, all people having sex are over 18 and are consenting. If you are looking for a quick wank, or nothing but sex, this is probably not for you. If you are looking for a love story with character development and some hot steamy sex that fits the story, the please read on.

Last edited:
My opinion is that have a preface doesn't do anything to change readers' expectations. If you put a warning saying the story has mm sex or that there is water sports, readers will still complain that there's mm sex or that there's water sports.

That being said, I'd rewrite the preface so it is more of a sharing of your future plans - "I have ideas for X more stories in this series, but, to line those stories up correctly, I need to have this story to have a lot more dialog than I've had in my prior stories. Hopefully, you'll enjoy this deeper dive into Freya and Alex's relationship."

Thank you, everyone!! I'll leave it in. It's an important story to the series and I just wanted to warn people that were dropping into the middle of a series. Eh. What're ya gonna do, right?

Thanks for noping out and not going postal on the author! I tag my stories with erotic horror, and add warnings in the foreword that they are, indeed, very graphic horror.

Go fucking postal on me. I'm not afraid. I'm sure as hell not going to put any sort of foreword or disclaimer on the top of my work that tells anything about how the story goes. The whole point is to read because you don't know how it goes. You want to find out how it goes.

For those who like to know some idea of how the story goes before you start reading, well then are you really wanting to read someone's story or do you just want someone to recite some version of your own fantasy back to you? Be honest.

The whole point is to read because you don't know how it goes. You want to find out how it goes.
Issues arise when we get into broader genres.

I write mostly NC/R, but the stories in NC/R range between "me and my SO just bought some pink feathery handcuffs" to full on non-con torture, so clarifying what a reader who just browses the daily new nc/r page is in for is just decent behaviour.

Issues arise when we get into broader genres.

I write mostly NC/R, but the stories in NC/R range between "me and my SO just bought some pink feathery handcuffs" to full on non-con torture, so clarifying what a reader who just browses the daily new nc/r page is in for is just decent behaviour.

That is more a comment on the far too basic and extremely limiting category system on lit than on any story content.

I often put forwards into works, and I read most of the forwards that other authors add. Some people don't like them, but I would imagine that most of those people just skip them anyway, so it doesn't much matter what they think, now does it?

Haha, I kid, but yeah. I often add forwards with any relevant info I want to get out there, and I wouldn't do it any other way.

Surprise is not the be-all, end-all of storytelling. The stories that people re-read are the ones that hold interest even to a reader who already knows the ending. I've read many stories where the author's focus on delivering a surprise undermined other aspects of the story.

Not that a well-delivered twist can't be fun, but it's not the only game in town.

Thoughts? I hate "apologizing" for something that I don't think needs an apology. I like the story. It's just not as sexy as my others and if I just cram some sex into it, I feel that it wouldn't be right. That it would hurt the story and the series.

Help! And thanks!!
You're right, you don't need to apologise.

Your readers will be following you by now because they want Freya stories. If they're intelligent readers, they'll figure out what you're doing. And if they're not intelligent readers, does it matter what they might "want" in a story?

Trust your readers, Freya. They know what you can deliver. They'll wait.

Trust yourself too, your instincts as a writer.

Surprise is not the be-all, end-all of storytelling. The stories that people re-read are the ones that hold interest even to a reader who already knows the ending. I've read many stories where the author's focus on delivering a surprise undermined other aspects of the story.

Not that a well-delivered twist can't be fun, but it's not the only game in town.

Yup, saw that one coming, yup, that one too, lemme guess what's next ... oh gee no surprise there either.

Masterpiece, I tell you. :/

Back