What techniques do you use to avoid repeating characters' names?

So I have a story where there are basically two characters, one of whom is doing stuff to the other. The author knows everything that is going on plus the inner thoughts and reactions of the MC. There's a term for this....

My question is how do you avoid constantly repeating the two characters' names? Pronouns are often ambiguous.

And is there a term for this writing challenge that i could use to Google it? Or search YouTube for a relevant Story Grid video? (@SyleusSnow).

tia
ag
I am running into this with a taboo story I am doing. It is long, and I am playing a long game. It's in first-person, and one of the characters is the MC's aunt. I keep referring to her as either "my aunt," or "Aunt Kathy," because there is a shift later when he starts just thinking of her as "Kathy." But up unit then, I feel like it is so repetitive.

I'm not sure if it's what you're getting at, but I try to cut out dialogue tags whenever I can, especially if only two people are talking. I find it makes the flow of conversations sharper. That might be one way to cut down on the number of times you use names.

Overly simple example:

"Hello," said Jack.

"Hi," said Jill.

"How are you?" Jack asked.

"Good," Jill said, "and you?"

"I'm well," Jack said.

Instead:

"Hello," said Jack.

"Hi," said Jill.

"How are you?"

"Good. And you?"

"I'm well."

I agree with this approach, but one wrinkle I try and add is if I'm using an alternative to the name I try and use it early when it is very clear who that person is. It sort of connects the descriptor to the character in the reader's mind.

Jack smiled as Jill walked up the hill.
"Hello," he said.
"Hi," the brunette responded.
"How are you?"
"Good, and you.
"I'm well."

I am running into this with a taboo story I am doing. It is long, and I am playing a long game. It's in first-person, and one of the characters is the MC's aunt. I keep referring to her as either "my aunt," or "Aunt Kathy," because there is a shift later when he starts just thinking of her as "Kathy." But up unit then, I feel like it is so repetitive.
Some things are just going to be. You can only reduce so much. It's easier in conversation, as you can see, but when it's down to doing things via narration, there's just going to be he's, she's, names, doing this and that.

Back