Alaska is Just 15 Minutes from Anchorage

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll be subscribing to the new thread when it appears.

thør is my primary source of news and information on a lot of topics.

DE-fAOpXUAAx3M-.jpg:large

Trump Administration Approves Eni Plan to Drill Offshore Alaska

by Eric Haun
Marine Link

Eni US will become the first energy company allowed to explore for oil in federal waters off Alaska since 2015 after the Trump administration this week approved a drilling plan on leases the company has been sitting on for 10 years.

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management approved the drilling plan of Eni US, a unit of Italy's Eni on Wednesday as part of President Donald Trump's plan to boost oil and gas drilling and make the country "energy dominant."...

more...
https://www.marinelink.com/news/administration-approves427366

Last edited:

Trump Administration Approves Eni Plan to Drill Offshore Alaska

by Eric Haun
Marine Link

Eni US will become the first energy company allowed to explore for oil in federal waters off Alaska since 2015 after the Trump administration this week approved a drilling plan on leases the company has been sitting on for 10 years.

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management approved the drilling plan of Eni US, a unit of Italy's Eni on Wednesday as part of President Donald Trump's plan to boost oil and gas drilling and make the country "energy dominant."...

more...
https://www.marinelink.com/news/administration-approves427366

Offshore, but from a man-made island.

170623_Kuskulana-Bridge.jpg

The drive is much nicer now that there's guardrails on the old rail bridges.

My first trip on that road was after a serious spell of rain in 1980. One section of the old railroad grade had settled and was a long (perhaps 150 yards) pool of water 30 to 33 inches deep. At least, it was straight. There was no other traffic that day and I waded the entire pool before taking the Jeep through. On the way back, there was a guy with a Saab 99 sitting on the side of the road, looking at the pool. We offered to tow him through, but he refused the offer. He said he would figure it out. He might of sat there until freeze-up!

Oprah does Alaska. Or Oprah does the part of Alaska that caters to tour ships full of people willing to dump some cash. If see wanted some experiences that she'd really remember, she might:

Charter a flightseeing trip out of Talkeetna to buzz around Denali, and perhaps land on the Ruth Glacier.

Visit a real village that's not on the typical tourist route, maybe Shishmaref, Mekoryuk, Kaktovik, Arctic Village, Buckland, Atmautluak, Kipnuk, Tununak, etc.

Go fishing.

I caught most of this Nature program ("Nature's Great Race") on the Porcupine herd migration last night. There was gripping footage of caribou v. griz and caribou v. wolf. Anybody who thinks they'd ever have a snowball's chance in hell of successfully grappling with a grizzly will be informed by seeing the footage of a hungry griz taking down a (young) bull caribou.

Those who travel to Africa to see that continent's great migrations ought to be equally interested in this amazing phenomenon. One of the great mysteries is how widely geographically separated sub-populations of the herd recognize, coordinate and congregate for the migration from winter grounds down to the coastal plain for calving. All the females end up giving birth within nine days of one another.

The good news is that the Porcupine herd is reported to have the largest population ever recorded.

http://pressroom.pbs.org/Programs/n/Natures-Great-Race/Caribou

NGR_Caribou_EpMain.ashx

02_001.ashx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back