Aft Nacelle (discussion all things sci-fi)

Callahan's Cross-time Saloon (I wrote about "God's Blessing" in the B&B Speakeasy in BDSM)

As for the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster: I can't get that Old Janx Spirit at my local liquor store.

And, an unanswered question from TOS: Does Klingon Nerve Gas make a good mix with Scotch?

Ah, Callahan’s. WorldCon was in my neck of the woods in 2018, and they have a setup of Callahan’s in the main convention area. I held my own pretty well in the Pun Day contest. I didn’t win, but I held my own.

Allia's closed her account.
Had her threads expunged.
I've put a little something in ampics.
Feel free to post a thread of your own to annoy the motherfuckers

I hope there was a good reason for the recast. Thought it'd be amazing if they somehow snuck Brophy in without fans noticing.

I normally fall on the Picard side of morality, but what Seven did was totally justified under the circumstances.

Poor Icheb. :(

I am a big kid when it comes to anything sci-fi.. I think it started when me and my dad went to see star wars when it first came out and together we collected all the trading cards for the first 3 movies.

I am also a HUGE marvel fan....

I kind of miss the optimism of early Sci fi. Everything seems so bleak in most of the newer stories.

I kind of miss the optimism of early Sci fi. Everything seems so bleak in most of the newer stories.

This has been a big sticking point for some with Star Trek: Picard. That old TNG optimism has been replaced by dark, cynical admirals who swear a lot. Mind you, considering they've grown up in the shadow of the Klingon and Dominion Wars, can you blame 'em?

Season finale of Doctor Who next week. It's gonna have to be PRETTY good. Twenty extra minutes to resolve everything. :eek:

Best episode of Picard yet. The reunion between Hugh and Picard was so fucking heartwarming. :rose:

Finally up to date with Dr who, all of Picard still to go.

I kinda wish Dr who was a bit less preachy at the moment. Since poor Jodie (who is a fantastic Dr) came aboard, every single episode is just preaching at us. I wouldn't mind if it was even every other episode, but I go in to each one ready for a lecture. Still excited to see how they wrap things up (secretly hoping for Jack Harkness to meet the Dr too)...

Chibbers - a fairly awful writer - can't do subtle, unfortunately. He mostly got away with it on a melodrama like Broadchurch, but Doctor Who usually plays things more subtle. Orphan 55 was such a slap in the face, honestly (and I'm someone who takes climate change VERY seriously).

Praxeus was better, though, and very timely as it coincided with the rise of COVID-19.

How do you feel about the theory that transporters kill the original and make a copy?

How do you feel about the theory that transporters kill the original and make a copy?

In Star Trek at least, it's been explicitly said that the transportee's pattern is broken down, transmitted, and reassembled at the destination. Transmats in Doctor Who, however, operate on the kill-and-replace principle (but with the consciousness being retained, at least in theory).

In Star Trek at least, it's been explicitly said that the transportee's pattern is broken down, transmitted, and reassembled at the destination. Transmats in Doctor Who, however, operate on the kill-and-replace principle (but with the consciousness being retained, at least in theory).

Wouldn’t that boil down to the same thing? Breaking down the pattern destroys it even if you use the same matter to build a new one.

Wouldn’t that boil down to the same thing? Breaking down the pattern destroys it even if you use the same matter to build a new one.

Realm of Fear (TNG: 6x02). Barclay remains conscious and aware of what's happening during transport. I don't think that'd happen if the person was dying and being replaced. ;)

What was your earliest sci fi fandom? I grew up on Star Wars. I was 6 when I saw New Hope in the Theater but I also remember racing home from school to watch Star Blazers.

Back