Aft Nacelle (discussion all things sci-fi)

I never got into Star Trek, though the Wrath of Khan is one of my favorite movies. When I was a kid, we had a VHS tape that I watched with my siblings hundreds of times. :D

Nowadays, my favorite sci-fi series is The Expanse, both the books and the show. Stargate Atlantis is also an old favorite(totally not because I had a crush on Joe Flanigan. :D)

And I highly recommend The Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers. Keep a drink of water on hand while reading because it's going to make you cry. Dehydration is a danger.

Looking for recommendations for a book to read. I’m a big fan of Terry Pretchett, Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman, and Christopher Moore. Anyone want to share a favorite?

I've been listening to The Wilful Princess and the Piebald Prince by Robin Hobb. It's the latest in her Farseer books. Fantastic, gritty fantasy. Thoroughly recommend all of her books.

Looking for recommendations for a book to read. I’m a big fan of Terry Pretchett, Douglas Adams, Neil Gaiman, and Christopher Moore. Anyone want to share a favorite?

Just started the Sword of Truth series by Terry Good child. I'll let you know if they're any good.

Two years dead... Can anyone bring this thread back?
I guess you'd have to ask what's changed in last 2 years.

Marvel is a decent mishmash of times (enjoyable but not my go to)
Starwars movies sort of don't really hold up (some great moments, thank you Mark Hamil) but spin off series have some merit (still not seen them mind)

Picard season 1 was decent (discovery is going strong, nope not seen it)

Batman was a good outing for Mrs Patterson (ignore me) but Joaquin Phoenix is going to take some beating...

Keep telling myself to rewatch Farscape from the beginning.

Currently going through Harry Potter with little one, she's got one book to go...

And there'll never be another Pratchett or Iain M Banks

There's chunks of this thread I don't think I've read...

Going to go find a double barrel gun, think it was Texas Ranger style.

Oh and some great art that combines different space craft showing relative size...

HOW could I forget Red Dwarf, that have had a decent revival that was true to the original And a breath of fresh air YOU SMEGHEADS

I guess you'd have to ask what's changed in last 2 years.

Marvel is a decent mishmash of times (enjoyable but not my go to)
Starwars movies sort of don't really hold up (some great moments, thank you Mark Hamil) but spin off series have some merit (still not seen them mind)

Picard season 1 was decent (discovery is going strong, nope not seen it)

Batman was a good outing for Mrs Patterson (ignore me) but Joaquin Phoenix is going to take some beating...

Keep telling myself to rewatch Farscape from the beginning.

Currently going through Harry Potter with little one, she's got one book to go...

And there'll never be another Pratchett or Iain M Banks
If you get the chance, watch Strange New Worlds. Anson Mount is killing it as Pike!

I agree with you about Jodie Whittaker. I just wish she had better written stories.

I’m looking forward Ncuti Gatwa’s tenure in the TARDIS.

If you get the chance, watch Strange New Worlds. Anson Mount is killing it as Pike!

I agree with you about Jodie Whittaker. I just wish she had better written stories.

I’m looking forward Ncuti Gatwa’s tenure in the TARDIS.
Concur, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds has a great cast, the acting and stories have been great and IMPO this series is far better than Star Trek Picard or Star Trek: Discovery.

My first love for Sci Fi was Star Trek: The Next Generation. And I absolutely love Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I've also been watching Star Trek: Strange New World, and I also really enjoy watching it. There are so many references to the series that makes it joy to watch, and the cast are great as well.

My first love for Sci Fi was Star Trek: The Next Generation. And I absolutely love Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I've also been watching Star Trek: Strange New World, and I also really enjoy watching it. There are so many references to the series that makes it joy to watch, and the cast are great as well.
Agreed! Again, Anson Mount is killing it as Pike. Rebecca Romijn is great as Number One, and Celia Rose Gooding as a young Uhura has been a delight.

We recently had the the fortieth anniversary of The Wrath of Khan, so I need to rewatch that.

Mandalorian was pretty good, Book of Fett was a little less consistent for me. Discovery had a few decent moments but was largely disappointing. SNW is starting strong.

Jeez i miss forgotten realms lol i read one called kings of the wyld. Its was a pretty cool premise, the adventures were considered like rock stars.

I've heard that Obi-Wan is pretty good so I'll get round to watching that soon.

Saw something about Lazarus Project coming to Sky, some time travel shenanigans such could be good.

Looking forward to Lightyear and the new Jurassic World in the cinema too.

Anyone else watching the new season of Mystery Science Theater 3000? The most recent episode was funny as hell. The one before it was painful. The movie was so bad, it didn’t matter how much they riffed it. I couldn’t finish the movie.

Grew up with star trek, Dr who pertwee and baker . Space 1999 . All the super marionation stuff thunderbirds etc.
Blakes 7 etc.
But still when the imperial ship filled the cinema screen and the place shook with the engine noise still one of the best cinema memories. Que the vader March musci

I watched this episode with my parents when it first aired. I was old enough to get sex jokes, but had no personal experience about what a real female orgasm looked like. I remember seeing my mom nudge my dad and hearing her say something like "she's having a good time." You could have seen the cartoon thought bubble filled with question marks floating over my head.

A few years later, while watching reruns in college, I saw this episode again and it all made sense. For me that little smile at the end is more of a giveaway than the sudden breathless spasm.

I watched this episode with my parents when it first aired. I was old enough to get sex jokes, but had no personal experience about what a real female orgasm looked like. I remember seeing my mom nudge my dad and hearing her say something like "she's having a good time." You could have seen the cartoon thought bubble filled with question marks floating over my head.

A few years later, while watching reruns in college, I saw this episode again and it all made sense. For me that little smile at the end is more of a giveaway than the sudden breathless spasm.
When I first saw it, I was old enough to know what I was seeing. I think I responded with a quick shudder/squirm of my own.

Back