A Bullet Never Lies(Closed for Courage)

Irene didn’t know what the hell was going on when Beau was suddenly there, scooping her up and grabbing two bags. She clung to hi as he made his way to the garage, the world spinning around her as he placed her in the passenger side of a humvee and bucked her in. She watched him in confusion as he placed the bags in the back and then went to the driver’s side.

“What’s going on?” She asked him, a frown marring her face. “Beau? What the hell is going on?”

She grabbed the seat as he sped out of the garage and down the narrow street. Once they were far enough away she could hear the sound of an explosion and she sighed deeply, shaking her head as he finally started to explain.

“We need to keep moving. You make it sound like we don’t have very many choices, so I guess I’ll have to trust you to cover my ass.” She said, her tone displeased with the entire situation.

"Sorry about bolting like that. My friend informed me that someone was making a move towards the house and that it really wasn't safe anymore. I don't want either of us hurt, or you hurt even more, so I moved without taking the time to think. Is that ok?" Beau asked, wanting to make sure they were on the same page.

When she nodded and told him she agreed, he smiled and then continued driving. He quickly got to where they were going, hiding the humvee under camouflage netting, and helped Irene into the cabin.

"Here's our base for now. It won't last for long, but there isn't much to go on right now. Most other options have been cut off. If you are good with your right hand, holster your pistol and make sure it's on you at all times," he said as he pulled an M4 out, loading several clips and sliding them into a vest he had.

Beau knew this would eventually happen, but had hoped it wouldn't have been until he was almost out of the business. Something stank, and it really smelled like a setup. Well, whoever was pulling the strings, they were going to see just how deadly he was. He locked a clip into his rifle, then slid the receiver, chambering a round.

"Go inside while I make sure the old alarms work," he told Irene as he started to head off in the direction of one of the motion sensors.

“What if I said it wasn’t okay? Would you take me back?” Irene asked, raising an eyebrow at Beau at the stupid question he asked. She rolled her eyes and nodded her head, letting him know that she couldn’t really argue with him at the moment.

He was speeding through the streets at a quick pace. She wondered why he hadn’t been pulled over yet, but she didn’t comment on it as he pulled into a new house and parked beneath a camouflage netting that hid the car from view. He helped her from the car and into the cabin, his words rattling on as she tried to listen through the pain.

“God, you are so bossy sometimes.” She said as she entered the cabin and flopped down on a dusty sofa, her eyes closed as she tried to relax her tensed muscles.

Beau made his way through all of the security measures, happy they were in order. He shook his head at her attitude. He didn't want to lay down the law, but if she was going to be obnoxious, he would put her in line. He knew he could, but just didn't want to.

As he was making his way through the forest, his finger never left the trigger of his weapon. No matter what the setting, he was usually always ready for someone to jump out at it. That's what happened when you were raised to be an assassin. You were taught to never leave things to chance.

Normally Beau was pretty good about this, but right now he was taking a huge chance. "That damn woman better not get me killed or injured, otherwise her ass is gonna be in a sling," he said, his southern drawl coming out.

Irene’s mind was going a mile a minute, thinking about how much Beau was getting on her nerves. She was so use to working alone, to depending only on herself in times of danger. She gritted her teeth as she shook her head and pushed herself off the couch, moving through the cabin to explore her surroundings. She kept her hand on her holstered gun, her injured arm held tightly to her body just in case.

As beau walked into the cabin, he saw Irene up and about.

"Good, you're up. I figured that you would be. We seem to be about at each other's throats. Don't lie either. I can see it in your face," he said.

Without warning, he tacked Irene, trapping her hand against her gun due to her body pressing down on it, and his gun under her chin.

"Now then, since we are here, lets get things sorted out. I don't like working with you, you don't like working with me. From now on, no attitude about it. I'll keep my end, you keep yours. Lets just shut up and get through this so neither of us ends up hurt or dead. I swear to you now, if you so much as mess up my chances of survival, I'll end your life in a heartbeat. I know you feel the same way, so lets start working together, for both our sakes. No more anger, no more pissy attitudes. Got it?!" he demanded before easing up. He kept her hand trapped, but decided that he wouldn't get up until she understood and got her response in.

Irene had barely turned towards the sound of his voice when he suddenly tackled her. She let out a gasp of pain as she slapped to the ground, her hand trapped against her gun while he pressed the barrel of his gun beneath her chin. She was a captive audience as he explained how thing would be from then on out. She gritted her teeth against both the pain of her shoulder and the rolling anger that was coursing through.

“If you don’t get off me right now, I’m going to murder you in your sleep!” She said through gritted teeth, her eyes narrowed sleep that promised death if he didn’t get off her right then and there. “You don’t want a pissy attitude? Then don’t tackle a wounded person!”

Beau just sat there. "Lady, you don't seem to understand the predicament you are in. If you kill me, you die. You were burned without any outside contacts. I have the only outside contacts who will help a burned assassin. If you want to die, then kill me. Otherwise, be quiet and listen to me," he said, finally getting up.

He took her gun from her, as well as her other weapons. He set his guns on the table.

"I'm sorry for hurting you again, but you need to understand something. Your attitude right now makes me not want to help you. I've heard about you, so I know you are a good assassin. You aren't good with people. You do your job and get another one. That's it. That's fine by me. What you need to understand now is that we are a team. If I die, you die. If you die, I most likely die. So put the bitchiness aside and lets work together. I know how smart you are. I know that you know this area just as well as I do. I also know you've worked here more recently. So help me so that we can live," he said softly.

Beau sat back, looking at her, trying to figure out what someone had done to scar this beautiful woman. It wasn't that he cared, but he knew from what he heard that she either had a major chip on her shoulder, or something had caused her to shut down around people. He didn't like people being this way, and knew that now that she was burned, she would have a hard time living, assuming they made it out of this shitstorm.

The moment that he pinned her to the floor, Irene felt flighty and angry. If there was one thing she was famous for it was her almost nuclear temper. When he pulled off her and got her weapon, she listened to what he had to say for about five seconds. Her vision was covered with a red glaze, her temper quickly coming to the end of her reign on it.

She stood up and raged at that moment. She threw anything she could grab in the room, screaming and yelling as Beau sat back and looked at her. She wasn’t finished until there was nothing else to grab and she stood there in the middle of the room, panting while her shoulder throbbed and bled yet again.

She turned towards him, her eyes narrowed to slits as he quietly watched her, trying to figure her out. She didn’t need him digging around in her head, trying to make her feel better about her shitty personal life. It was coincidence that pulled them together and she would do well to keep him at arms length.

He took a step towards her and she took a step back, her eyes narrowing further. “Do me a favor and leave me the fuck alone!” She screamed at him, turning to storm further into the cabin and slamming the door to the bedroom that she found. Sinking down onto the bed, she sighed deeply and tried to think about how her life had led her to that very moment. She shook her head and decided that it wasn’t worth the pain. Rubbing her shoulder, she lay on the bed and closed her eyes, willing herself to simply die and save her the trouble of dying a slow and painful death.

Beau shook his head as the cabin was destroyed. He knew he had struck a nerve with the conversation. He also knew that he needed to get her shoulder bandaged again so she wouldn't faint from loss of blood. He went to get the key, unlocking the door.

"I'm sorry for digging into your head. It wasn't my place. I just want you to trust me. I will trust you. I know it will be hard, but we have to do it to survive. If we make it, and you still want to kill me, well...you probably will be able to. Just bear with me while we are together. I promise I'll stay out of your head though," Bea said quietly as he cut her shirt off yet again. He could see the bandage seeping blood, and he knew things could get bad quickly.

"Ok, I need to replace the bandage and sew the wound up again. I fucked up and tore your stitches. Your anger got your heart going, pumping more blood. This is all my fault. I'm really sorry. If you want later, you can shoot me," he said, a poor attempt at a joke.

He pulled out the needle, immediately sewing the wound with an efficiency born of urgency. After that was done he cleaned her shoulder and reapplied a fresh bandage, happy to see little to no blood flow. He noticed that she had passed out. He pulled the blanket up, then surprised himself when he leaned over and gently kissed her forehead.

"I'm so sorry that I've caused you more pain than you should have to endure. I hope that one day you will find a way to forgive me. Until then, please bear with this stupid man," he said, closing the door and going to sleep on the couch.

Irene had been abused more times in her life than she cared to remember. She chose not to think about the horrid childhood she’d been forced to endure with a drunken mother and a father that simply didn’t care. Her job was her life and she was good at what she did and she was having a hard time accepting the fact that she couldn’t even do her job any longer. With each victim, the hurt seemed just a little less.

The hurt now was coming from her injured shoulder as she lay on the bed quietly, her stomach rolling in a sickening way as she heard the door unlock and she shut her eyes to not have to deal with Beau right then. She let him cut her shirt off her shoulder and he first touch of his fingers against the blood soaked bandage had her sinking into oblivion.

She furrowed her brow as she felt a blanket pulled over her shoulder and a kiss pressed against her forehead. A kiss? That made no sense, she thought to herself as he door to the room closed. The only person that could have kissed her was…Beau…

Beau Sat on the couch trying to figure things out. He had grown up in Georgia, an only child. He hadn't been really friendly to anyone, and this was all new for him. He didnt know if he was interested in her or what, but the kiss had rocked him. He normally was calm and collected, but Irene had somehow gotten to him.

He poured himself a drink and tried to relax. He knew Irene would be out for a while, so laid back on the couch after finishing his drink. He hadn't meant to, but he was slowly starting to fall asleep. He finally came to the conclusion that the kiss only mattered if it mattered to her.

Irene woke a few hours later, her shoulder sore and complaining. She sat up and drew the blanket from the bed around her naked shoulders and moved into the other room, pausing when she saw Beau sleeping on the sofa. She watched him for a long moment, nibbling on her bottom lip nervously before she reached out and nudge his foot with her toe.

“You kissed me.” She said in a soft voice, a bit of accusation in it as she watched him wake up, trying to figure him out.

Beau had been awake since she started moving. He had laid there with his eyes closed, trying to figure out how to handle this conversation. When she came in and said that, he wasn't sure he was ready.

He did nod to answer, then looked at her before talking. "I don't know why I kissed you, but I did. In my thirty-five years of life, no woman has gotten me worked up, until you. I don't know how, but when I saw you lying there, my body went and kissed you before my mind knew what was going on. I'm sorry if it bothered you, and I can try to not do it again if you'd like," he said quietly, sitting up and moving over to let her sit down.

"I guess you have more to say, so lets hear it all at once so we can clear the air of everything and start working as a couple," he said, not realizing how it sounded until it slipped out. He blushed slightly and then just shrugged. He had probably offended her with the kiss, so he was well past that stage now.

A couple. What kind of game was Beau playing, she wondered as he moved over to let her sit on the couch beside him. She cocked her head to one side and made no attempt to sit down just yet. Watching him closely, she asked herself how she felt about the kiss that he’d given her. In truth, she didn’t mind it. It had been a long time since someone had kissed her and meant it.

“You infuriate me. You treat me like a rookie and a child. I hate your guts.” She said in quick succession, never one to mince words or say something to flatter someone. “And if I’m honest, I didn’t mind the kiss.” She said as she sat down beside him, glancing over at the man that was proving more of a fascination by the minute.

And that stops today. From now on we talk to each other and treat each other as equals, ok?" Beau asked. He was going to get that out of the way before anything else. He smiled at her admitting she didn't the kiss. When she said that, his mind immediately took him to scenes of them kissing. He had to shake his head to stop those urges.

"Right now, we are in some deep shit. It's looking pretty good now that we went off the grid. The only problem is be don't know who exactly burned us, or why. Which would you like to..." He stopped, suddenly leaning over and kissing her softly on the lips.

"What the fuck are you doing!" His mind screamed. He ignored it as he slowly pressed into the kiss more, his body reacting naturally. He didn't know what she would do or how she would respond.

Irene’s eyes went wide as Beau’s lips pressed against hers. She watched him as he kissed her, the features of his face telling her that he didn’t even know why he’d kissed her. It was awkward, strange…and nice.

She sighed and allowed her eyes to close, her body relaxing as he deepened the kiss and she responded by parting her lips and allowing him access to her tongue.

Beau suddenly pulled away, breaking the kiss. He had finally gotten control, and didn't want to do something stupid. He shook his head, his face and chest feeling extremely hot from the influx of blood. He looked at Irene, trying to judge her reactions. He looked down and then whispered, "I'm sorry. I don't know what happened. I'm gonna go for a walk and try to figure something put."

He stood up in a daze, trying to figure out what was going on. This was the first time he had ever done something like this. It scared the hell out of him. He stood there, not realizing he hadn't moved, as the battle raged in his head to sit back down or to go and get some air.

Irene whimpered as he suddenly pulled away and her lips were left searching for what was suddenly taken from them. She opened her eyes, watching as he whispered his apologies and then said he was going to take a walk. She watched him stand, a frown on her face. Men tended to run from her and it seemed that he would be no exception.

There was a war going on inside of his ridged body, his muscles fighting against the brain that most definitely wanted him to run. She just sat quietly, wrapped up in her blanket as she waited to see if he would stay or go.

Beau continued to fight, knowing things would change either way. Suddenly, without warning, something seemed to give, and he calmed down. He Sat down and smiled at her.

"I'm done fighting this. I don't know when it happened, but I want you more than I've wanted another woman. It's up to you though. If you want me, you need to climb into my lap and kiss me like you do," he said, finally sure of things.

“It’s because I piss you off.” She said simply as he sat down and told her what he was feeling. She didn’t smile, she wasn’t one for smiling, but she did watch him intently. That was the one way she knew to let him know she was interested. “You want someone who’s passionate and you know that if I can be this angry that I must be passionate.”

She thought about it for a moment before she dropped the blanket from around her shoulders and climbed onto his lap. She was dressed only in a black bra and her jeans. He’d cut off her shirt and her shoulder as still bandaged. The pain was little compared to the curiosity that was slowly consuming her as she leaned forward and kissed him.

She sighed again, her eyes closing with the comfort of the moment. She deepened the kiss and again parted her lips, waiting to see what he did with the opportunity.

Beau smiled and then just shrugged. He wasn't assuming anything with her. He knew she could get angry. Hell, she had a temper that seemed to be on a switch. He knew she could be passionate without the temper though.

He watched her as she dropped the sheet, then climbed onto his lap. He slowly wrapped his arms around her as she kissed him, starting slowly, and letting it deepen. As he ran his tongue along her lips lightly, he felt them open. He took it as an invitation and slowly slid his tongue along her teeth before gently caressing her tongue. His hands were careful to avoid her shoulder and cause her pain, but they started to gently rub and caress her back and sides, determined to let Irene have as much enjoyment as she could, as well as not letting her get away.

Irene broke the kiss as she felt his hands caressing her sides, rubbing over her back, feeling the soft curves of her body. She stared at Beau for a long moment, cocking her head to one side as she again tried to figure out what his game was. Was it seduction to keep her compliant? Was it sex to keep her quiet? Was it a distraction before he killed her?

“Put your gun on the side table. Bullets put beside it.” She said as she watched him very closely.

Beau smiled and stood up. He wasn't wearing a shirt, and it was plain to he didn't have a weapon.

"No motive, no weapon, no endgame. This is just me. I wouldn't ever use this to disarm you or try to get you to relax around me to kill you. That's not how I would do anything. So from now on, let's just enjoy each other, ok?" he asked, motioning to the table, showing her that their weapons were on the table next to each other.

He sat back down, pulling her onto his lap, hoping everything would be ok, and that she was in this as her, with no endgame or motive.

“You want to…enjoy each other?” She asked, her face furrowing in a frown as he pulled her back into his lap and seemed intent of doing just that.

“What a strange man you are.” She said in a soft voice, still struggling to figure him out. He didn’t want anything but her? That was a novel concept, she thought to herself as she felt his hands roaming back over her bare skin.

Back