When I Was a Kid....

WIWAK "you're so gay" was a real put down.

I think we've come a long way. And I'm glad for it.
 
only three television stations. Two of those went off the air at midnight after the national anthem.
 
WIWAK...there was actually something known as Saturday Morning Cartoons that you would spend the week looking forward to...
 
WIWAK we played proper street games : Rounders ( a version of cricket or baceball ) , squares ( two people with a football/socar ball stood on the opposite sides of the road trying to hit the gap between the street and road ) , bulldog...

Sol

our streets games included: mother may i?, red light/green light, red rover, tag, freeze tag, hide and seek, hide and go get it(when you were a little older), jacks, chinese jump rope.

good times....
 
our streets games included: mother may i?, red light/green light, red rover, tag, freeze tag, hide and seek, hide and go get it(when you were a little older), jacks, chinese jump rope.

good times....

Kick the can!

And

WIWAK we didn't have so many after school activities that we were at school longer than Dad was at work...yeah, I said dad...
 
WIWAK we lived on a corner lot and all the kids on the block came over and we played Red Rover in our side yard.
 
WIWAK,

we had a "crick," with a big tree hanging out over it. And some brave soul (not me) climbed up and tied a rope that we could swing out over and drop in, or drop off back at shore. Was my second home in summer.

teachers were allowed to paddle insubordinate students. I made the mistake of popping off in Health Class (discussing sexuality - what else :rolleyes:) and was given one hit to the rear with a paddle that had holes drilled in it to make it more aerodynamic. I couldn't sit for 3 days. Didn't even dream of telling my parents, I was so embarrassed. :eek:

if somebody was giving you a hard time, you settled it with your fists. No one whined about "being bullied," and weapons??? Nope.
 
when i was a kid, "street cred" was earned was with dog dares.
 
When I was a kid, I frequently had a sunburn and everyone said I was precocious. Now I use sunscreen liberally and people say I'm a smart ass.
 
When I was a kid, I frequently had a sunburn and everyone said I was precocious. Now I use sunscreen liberally and people say I'm a smart ass.

:D thank you, I like that!

WIWAK we used to get "do overs"...I have needed "do overs" more than once as adult...BRING BACK the "Do Over"...
 
WIWAK we didn't know anyone who had a nut allergy....or any kids who took medication for hyperactivity
 
I am just loving the variety of topics! Thank you to everybody who has stopped by already!!

WIWAK, a "CD" was a Certificate of Deposit, and cardboard records could be cut out of the back of a Honeycombs breakfast cereal box and played on a "turntable." (Anybody remember the close n' play record player?!)
 
WIWAK 40 years old was soooooo old. Ancient even. Now, oh my it's staring me in the face.
 
WIWAK music came on things called records and you if wanted to listen to "American Pie" on a 45 rpm you had turn it over to hear the second half
 
I am just loving the variety of topics! Thank you to everybody who has stopped by already!!

WIWAK, a "CD" was a Certificate of Deposit, and cardboard records could be cut out of the back of a Honeycombs breakfast cereal box and played on a "turntable." (Anybody remember the close n' play record player?!)

I remember cutting records off the backs of cereal boxes WIWAK, too!

And...WIWAK we could walk to the Woolworth's 2 miles down the road and buy an Icee for a quarter - and it was considered a safe thing for a little kid to do.

Thank you, Ellafun, for this really fun thread!:)
 
WIWAK my brother had an 8 Track player in his car. And AM Radio played the best music on my transistor radio that would snap and crackle whenever there was a thunderstorm.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
WIWAK thongs were shoes and slinky was a toy not a type of outfit. lol
 
WIWAK
-the video game controller was a joystick and one red button.
-The first 3-d movie came out on tv and I thought it was the end of the world.
-when you recorded a movie on a camera it made no sound except click-click-click-click
 
WIWAK, the whole family gathered around the one and only black and white television in the house on Sunday evenings to watch "The Wonderful World of Disney." And Disney didn't own the rest of world.

Ha! I was just thinking about that. WIWAK, a ballgame on TV was an event

Hi Ella:rose:

John
 
When I was a kid my mother would pack devil dogs, rings dings, oreos, and many, many other sweet desserts in my school lunch AND let me buy chocolate milk to wash it all down.

She couldn't get away with that today.:(
 
we had to be home befor the street lights came on and everybody ate at the same time at the same table for brakefast lunch(except when in school) and supper
 
WIWAK, Grandma had a party line and could remember the Finnish words she had heard at home from her parents.

WIWAK, my parents trusted me with a bb gun and the Sears catalog had rifles and ammo in it.

WIWAK, my great grandfather cooked on a wood burning stove in his kitchen and drove a six cylinder Comet that the Ford dealer had given him when he retired.

WIWAK, I knew that my bad behavior reflected poorly on my parents and would be dealt with when we got home.

WIWAK, getting to go out to eat was a really big deal; now everyone's kids seem to take it for granted.

WIWAK, we had to help on the farm...and the neighbor's farms.

WIWAK, we got to have a soda as a treat.

WIWAK, my dad would knock my block off if I wised off to him.
 
WIWAK we did not worship a cartoon sponge, we had real cartoons to look up to like a talking dog who solved crimes from a smoke filled van, little blue creatures that some guy was always trying to eat, and "real american heroes" named "Lady Jane" and "Red Herring"
 
Back
Top