When does a civil society turn into a war zone? (El Salvador)

AG31

Literotica Guru
When do conditions become so bad that the “good guys” are right to suspend civil liberties and fight back in kind?

I find myself thinking this could be the case in El Salvador. After hearing reports of what’s going on I find myself in the sobering position of reluctantly and temporarily supporting a strong man leader, thinking like a Trumper or a follower of Viktor Orban.

What the strong man has brought to the country, apparently, is the safety of people in their own homes. The Taxi driver’s sense that he can traverse the streets. People feel so much better about their lives that emigration (mostly to the U.S.) has steadily dropped a total of roughly 16% from 2020 through 2023. Bukele was first elected In 2019.

Prisons are overflowing. They’ve built the largest prison in the world. More than 75,000 people have been arrested and are often (always?) tried 100 at a time. There’s no doubt that civil liberties are broken.

But I found PBS's Amna Nawas’ sanctimonious attitude when interviewing Vice President Felix Ulloa offensive. Although she didn’t use these words, “It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer,” she took that position as she pressed him about the measures being taken. “El Salvador went from having the highest murder rate in the world to having the highest incarceration rate in the world,” she said, as if it was clear that that should be avoided, without even a nod to the extraordinary violence the Salvadorans are living with.

Clearly the people of El Salvador have decided that they are in a literal war and that, as in any war, there will be collateral damage. I found Ulloa compelling when he pointed out that it would take hundreds of years to try all of them individually. Is the answer to just let these tens of thousands of gang members continue to rule? It sounds like war, not civil society to me.

I’m very aware that this is a slippery slope, and I won’t be surprised if the government of El Salvador ends up being populated with egotistical maniacs like Orban and Putin and Trump. But, at the same time, “let the gangs rule,” is not acceptable either, and with the numbers in the gangs being so high, I'm not unsympathetic to those who voted for Bukele and his policies.

Here is a link to the New Hour episode. The Ulloa interview starts about in the middle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0teI0uZhvhA

Back