Being a kid again

EmilyMiller

Perv of the Impverse
I know the membership here skews a little older. But I’m not so far off thirty myself. My bf is eight years older.

We just got back from sledding 😊. It was super fun. But now I’m an icicle. My fingers are throbbing writing this.

What have you done to get in touch with your inner kid recently?

Em

I like with two younger redheads. Any other questions?

The three kids across the street who ranged from 7-11 when they first moved in, would come out and play street hockey as seeing we have a small dead end street there's not much traffic. I went out there one afternoon with my stick and said, "Hey, can I play?" I don't think they thought I was serious, but the older one was like "Yeah, jump on in."

That was 10 years ago and they're now late teens/early twenties and I just went out and played with them in 15 degrees and an icy street. Its got to where if they see my car they come over and yell my name and say "Let's go!"

Over time other neighborhood kids have come and joined in along with a couple of the other dads. It's a blast and keeps me from getting to entrenched in being a grumpy mid fiftyish old fart.

... I am not sure if it should bother me that the "Am i autistic?" thread by Burgwad shows up on the 'Similar Threads' list. 😅

To answer the question; I played video games yesterday. And I'm eating candy right now, and when I was little, I was only allowed to eat candy on Saturdays - so I think that counts.

... I am not sure if it should bother me that the "Am i autistic?" thread by Burgwad shows up on the 'Similar Threads' list. 😅

To answer the question; I played video games yesterday. And I'm eating candy right now, and when I was little, I was only allowed to eat candy on Saturdays - so I think that counts.
I was around 12(?) when Atari 2600 came out, and of course we played it but only when it was too dark to do anything else. I got out of video games until the first Resident Evil came out and my young daughters wanted it, but didn't really know how to play, so I'd play and they'd watch, same for the first Silent Hill.

After that I briefly got into Halo two because my younger daughter loved it, and we hosted tournaments at comic shop. Nothing since then. To each their own, but these things like WOW and others that people will spend hours and hours on has no appeal to me, and I just kind of think there's something wrong with middle aged men who play them obsessively. I get once in awhile, but these things are addictive these days.

The three kids across the street who ranged from 7-11 when they first moved in, would come out and play street hockey as seeing we have a small dead end street there's not much traffic. I went out there one afternoon with my stick and said, "Hey, can I play?" I don't think they thought I was serious, but the older one was like "Yeah, jump on in."

That was 10 years ago and they're now late teens/early twenties and I just went out and played with them in 15 degrees and an icy street. Its got to where if they see my car they come over and yell my name and say "Let's go!"

Over time other neighborhood kids have come and joined in along with a couple of the other dads. It's a blast and keeps me from getting to entrenched in being a grumpy mid fiftyish old fart.
That’s perfect.

Em

No one understands how that thing works.
Best thing about being an adult is eating candy when you want - well chocolate anyway.

Em

I just kind of think there's something wrong with middle aged men who play them obsessively.

Most leisurely activities are best kept in moderate amounts, I believe. Though I don't think playing video games regularly is any better or worse than, for example, binge-watching series after series on Netflix. It's important to unwind sometimes, but not all the time - and indeed, games like World of Warcraft are quite addicting. I played it when it first came out, though I was still just a kid back then, and I spent way too many hours on it. Not sure if it was obsessive, but it certainly was too much!

I bought a unicorn plushie. An enormous pink unicorn plushie. She's almost my size, and I love her. Her name is Jessicorn.

I was really tempted to buy a cuddly octopus at Camden Aquarium.

Em
I haven't been in years! I saw Walk Off The Earth at O2 Forum in Kentish Town years ago, spent the weekend and popped by the aquarium.

Go back! Buy the octopus. The octopus misses you.

Best thing about being an adult is eating candy when you want - well chocolate anyway.

Well if that counts as being a kid, I had the urge and stopped at the convenience store night before last for a bag... make that two... of peanut M&Ms. I tried my damnedest to not look at the calorie panel.

I was surprised by how much of my allowance those burned through.

Most leisurely activities are best kept in moderate amounts, I believe. Though I don't think playing video games regularly is any better or worse than, for example, binge-watching series after series on Netflix. It's important to unwind sometimes, but not all the time - and indeed, games like World of Warcraft are quite addicting. I played it when it first came out, though I was still just a kid back then, and I spent way too many hours on it. Not sure if it was obsessive, but it certainly was too much!
I agree to the everything in moderation, and you're right that binge watching is as bad as games or anything else. I barely watch any TV the last few years. An occasional series that catches my eye, and only a couple episodes at a time because I like to savor them. My wife gets pissed if we watch a show together, because she will binge ten episodes in two days, I make her wait.

Quick story, and I know-or hope-this guy is an exception. about four years ago we get new neighbors. I'm out in the yard with my dog around nine at night. I hear someone say "Nice dog" and its a little girl standing on something so she can see over the wooden fence. I know now she was around 8 then. She starts chatting like kids do, asks the dogs name, my name and when I tell her she says "That's my dad's name, I'm going to go get him!"

I'm thinking, great, the guy's going to be like who's talking to you out there? She comes back "He's busy playing dead red redemption and he'll meet you another time."

Now I'm like, okay, you're 8 year old daughter just told you she's talking to some guy out in the yard, in the dark and....you're playing a game?

I think that's an issue right there, but maybe that's just me.

Probably the thing that makes me feel most like a kid is doing things with my kids--going on a hike, playing board games, or going to a game with them. They're no longer kids so I may need to try some new things to keep the youthful spirit alive.

I feel a spirit of youthfulness and renewal whenever I explore someplace new I've never been, like climbing a new mountain for the first time.

I was going to send this to my grandson this summer and then have two forts made out of cardboard with a basket full of water balloons behind each, but we have snow right now so I think a snowball fight would be better.
Let there be war!!!!

Comshaw
Screenshot 2024-01-20 121142.jpg

Comshaw

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-20 120609.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-01-20 120609.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0
Back