From the Witchfinder's Files, Tale I: Snake in Chains

Phyliss did open up and gagged, with a desperate groan, pulling at her bonds, hoping it would be water in the barrel.
 
He took one of the barrels of water and started pouring slowly. For the moment, the water disappeared in her parched throat without complaint. She was probably relieved to have her terrible thirst sated after all those days... soon, the pain would set in and would make it much easier for her to do her act. He had full trust in her talent.
 
At first, Phyliss greedily drank the water. As it became to much, she started to struggle, and tried to turn her head away, gargling and magging gagging sounds. She was acting still, but the amount of water was becoming to much already, and the frantic moves of her snakes were for real as she was almost close to panic as the water didn't stop.
 
She did not disappoint - after half a barrel of water, she was either a great actress, or in agony. Probably both. He was almost proud of the show she was putting on as he intensified the pouring. Thirst had long been replaced by panic in her expression as the water kept coming and coming, pouring down her desperately swallowing throat, flowing into her stomach which was already starting to swell up a bit.
Everywhere that the leather straps kept her back, she was straining against them. Her skin was rubbed red, and the noises coming from her throat were those of someone drowning. He had deliberately not plugged her up as he usually did, so a constant, clear trickle came from between her legs. It gave her almost no relief, and made her suffering look even more pitiful.

What a show! He was really interested in seeing how much she could take...
 
Now it became more then she could really take, so she decided it was time for the final. She pulled stronger ath the straps, even if itwas painful as she ripped on it, and she tried to make attempts to scream while drinking, and she swallowed some more water then she intended to. After some desperate struglle she stiffend, shivered, and then droped flat. Her snakes did move, as she could not control them perfect, but she guessed it just looked like some postmortal nere reflex. She lied limp and tried not even to breath. Her only hope was that her tormentor would realize what was happening and would turn off the water in time, so that he would not ruin her efforts.
 
The signal! Her overacting made it all too clear that this was enough. With playful sadism, he kept pouring a bit longer, both to intentionally make her uncomfortable and so he could see her face when he convinced her that he was not going to honour her agreement.

She did not disappoint. He dared to look at her eyes - she would hardly be in a state to do anything fishy now, after all - and as he kept pouring, a big grin on his face, they widened with shock.

He would stop...eventually. But for now, her expression was just priceless. Earn your applause, you lousy little actress, he muttered to himself as he kept pouring.
 
Did he trick her after all? If he would keep puring, making her choke and spit, he would ruin all of her show. Still she managed to keep motionless and she even managed not to make a sound, and she opened her eyes a little to see if he did mean to stop after all. Nobody in the audience would notice it. The light hurt her eyes first, but the fear of drowning made her forget about that soon. She saw his face for the first time, and his evil grin. This was the turning point. Maybe he had planned to kill her all the time along, just mocking her with his lies of getting her free. He would drown her, or make her gag and spill out, making her act odf dramatic death into a farce. If he was going to kill her, she could take him along, turning him into a statue. But his dead would be fast - if it would kill him after all, as some of her victims recovered - and that would be to good for him after all the torture.
 
He finally stopped, and feigned surprise at his victim who was still, amazingly, playing dead quite convincingly. He walked around her naked, tied down body and pretended to check her for signs of life.

Finally, he turned to the people and announced: "The demon's evil soul has gone back to hell! You are safe again, and she paid for the sins she committed while she was here on earth. Her mortal remains will rest in unconsecrated earth, and rot away."

After he had ended his speech, he got busy undoing the leather straps holding her "mortal remains" on the table. Broad red stripes marked her skin at her wrists, ankles and above and below her swollen stomach, and some blood was visible on her hands from the struggle.

Finally, as she was freed from all restraints, he put her arms over his shoulders and started to drag her away. Her wrists felt cold and clammy in his hands, almost as if she was really dead, and as he walked, he could feel the bulge in her stomach bump against his back rhythmically, the water sloshing inside.
 
Phyliss kept playing dead, even as the dragging was painful and she wanted to move her limbs after being strapped so long. And she needed to go to the toilet soon... She kept her eyes close, and nobody as suspicious as her snakes moved while she was dragged. She wondered where he would take her.
 
The dragging was getting uncomfortable for her, but he could not risk anyone else touching the demon, of course. To make her easier to carry, he stopped at the edge of the scaffold, took a length of rope and started to bundle her up into a ball: With her hands and feet tied together, he could carry her in his arms - much easier for him. and for her too. As an added benefit, it would make it easier for her not to move, and harder to flee...

He gently dropped the "dead" body on the wooden floor, then wrapped the rope around her wrists and got to work.
 
Phylis kept silent and didn't move for a while, until she was sure to be alone. She opened her eyes and looked around to see where he had brought her.
 
He set the bundle down in one of the cells, placing her in the straw with quite a bit more care than he had dragged her off. As he undid the ropes, he spoke into her ear in a soft voice:

"You can stop pretending to be dead now. You are back in your cell, and I will get you something to eat and drink. For now, you will stay here, but if you are a good helper for me, you will soon leave this miserable place. I am taking off your ties now, and this may be the last time you are tied up - against your will, at least...", he winked, thinking of the perverted things she had admitted on the scaffold. Even if only part of them were true, she sure knew about many things no lady had any business knowing, "...I do, however, have a warning: DO NOT try to use your powers against me and escape. The upper door only opens from the outside, and the guard at the window knows me. After all that I have done to you, you will probably feel like revenge, but you will soon see that if you make me happy, your lot will improve very quickly, while revenge will only lead to punishment."

He left her behind in the darkness of the cell and closed the door with a heavy thud. She needed something to eat and drink now, and then he expected her to show some gratitude to her rescuer.
 
Phyliss sat up. She felt so weak that she would have collapsed if she tried to stand, so she kept in a chrouching position, resting her head on her knees. Her eyes adjusted quickly to the dim light in the cellar. She knew very well that she would not stand a chance now to turn against him, even if her powers fully restored. It was best to play along so she would get no more punishment. Was there any chance to get out of this miserable dungeon? Surely not if she would blew it now by being to uncooperative.
 
He returned after a few minutes with a loaf of bread and a jug of water. This would satisfy her for now, especially after days of starving. She would not need any more water for now, of course, so in the other hand, he had a bucket, to take care of what was already inside her.

Putting these "treats" down next to her, he lit a torch and inspected his prisoner. For someone who was barely alive after days of torture, she looked remarkably good. There were marks and welts all over her body, of course - especially rope marks on the wrists and ankles, and she looked thin, but a few days of rest should restore her. She truly was remarkable.

What if she was not a demon? What if she was just a very powerful witch? That, too, warranted death, of course, but it also meant that she had once been a human woman, probably seduced towards Satan by the promises of power... and magic spells. Maybe it was just his way of rationalizing that he did not burn her, as was his duty, but he really hoped that she had once been human, and that she would redeem herself by helping him hunt down more servants of the devil. She would save her soul, and he would gain a good companion.
 
First of all, Phyliss used the bucket. It was somehow humiliating to do this before him, but after all what she suffered so far, it din't mean a thing. She helped herself with the bread next, drinking little sips of water in between. All she cared for now was getting strong enough again, anything else would come later.
 
She was getting stronger already, he could tell. She was away from the crowd, and no harm would be done to her for now. He was not sure if she believed that, though. Maybe she still expected him to betray her, but actually he had no intention to.

While she was eating, he walked around her with the torch, careful not to burn her, but otherwise as close as he could get. Partly, he wanted to see which wounds needed his attention, but partly it was just for his own enjoyment. Mostly the latter, actually, but in order to make it less blatant, he eventually whispered softly:

"I will take care of your wounds later...you took so many, it could have killed five weaker ones..."
 
Phyliss did not dare to say that he could heal her wounds herself, even with not her full magic recovered. Well. if he bound her wounds, she would at least partly heal them step by step, until no traces would be left by them. She finished the bread, some more days of food and sleep, and she would be completely restored.
She hesitated, then she spoke very low, almost shy.
"I would like to wash."
 
"Oh, of course."

Maybe she was just acting in hopes of escaping later, but her demure attitude pleased him and made him indulgent. Besides, he wanted her healthy and ready as soon as possible, both for work and for...other purposes.

The other purposes had to wait, though. He left the cell again, and returned carrying a bucket of water - cold water, of course - and some pieces of cloth. He would allow her to clean herself off in private - he had other work to do, and she clearly needed some rest. He set the utensils down in front of her, then lightly hugged her. She felt extremely bony and light in his arms; in fact, she felt thinner than she looked. His hands rested on the backs of her thin thighs and he could feel her breath...

He spontaneously kissed her, then let go of her and turned to leave the cell.

"Rest well, demon...or whoever you are. You are safe now."
 
Phyliss didn't resist as he hugged and finally kissed her, but she felt uneasy. He wasn't ugly at all, as she had imagined him, but it was just a short time she had a face to that bodyless voice of her tormentor. And she could not say what was going on in his head. She wasn't a demon, but she would not argue about that. She had to be carefull. But it was good to wash after this time. Even if the water was cold, she took great care and her time to clean herself up. She missed her makeup and her clothes, but being clean again was good.
 
He only returned once that day, to bring her dinner (another loaf of bread - he would let her earn better food later). He was also carrying a coarse woolen blanket, which he placed on the ground before approaching her. She looked better now - cleaner, and the fear was gone from her face; she was starting to realize that he this had not been a trick. She had saved her life by becoming his servant, even though he was still not quite sure whether he should be employing a possible demon.

"I still wonder what exactly you are", he muttered with a glance at the snakes on her head.
 
Phyliss picked up the bread; she hadn't eaten anything that long that she welcomed ny plain food.
"I am a gorgon." she said, but she just stopped from saying "of course". Wasn't it plain to see what she was?
 
"Of course?"

Normally, he would have hit her for being so condescending, but this was back then, when she had been a prisoner... a day ago, yet so different. So, instead of hitting her, he merely playfully waved his whip at her. "You need the condescension beaten out of you, little... gorgon. To me, that seems to be just another name for a demon, but maybe, just maybe, you got those snakes by nature. If you are lying, I will find out soon enough. And if not - if only half of the sins you confessed were true, you will need to serve me down here for a long time to make up for them. You will have to hurt people... I hope you are ready for that. It takes some time to get used to, but remember that only those who confess their sins will have their souls saved. We torture the stubborn mortal body here to save souls... never forget that."

While he was giving this talk, even though it was very businesslike and did not feel romantic at all, he had almost started to play with her hair... until he remembered, at the last second, what her hair actually was. He settled for an awkward pat on the backside instead.
 
Phyliss twitched as he shook the whip, as she expected being hit.
"I didn't mean to be condescent..." she said frightened. She paused a moment, watching him closeley. Probably he didn't know nything of magical creatures, it was just his stupid religion that was so ignorant of everything.
"I mean I am not a demon. I know of some, but I am not one. I always had this snakes as far as I can renember..."
What was the truth, after all. She had no memory of her childhood at all, but he surely would not understand if she told him.
 
He chuckled a little as he saw her flinch. "You are not my prisoner anymore. You are my servant. As long as you keep your peace and follow your orders, you do not have to fear. I punish criminals, but I discipline servants. And you have to do much worse to deserve discipline. I am happy to have saved you from more pain, and I am happy you are here with me..."
He gave her a few more pats on her backside, before continuing in a more formal tone: "Tomorrow, I will teach you your new profession. So, before we both go to sleep, I just have one more question: Are you ready to learn how to hurt the body to save the soul?"
 
Now this was the worst part. Phyliss was egoistic, no doubt, but not malevolant. She had killed before, but always in selfdefence, using her snakes, the crossbow or turning her victims into stone, although some of them recovered from the latter. But she wasn't cruel, probably a much better person then many normal people around. She was no monster. But she recalled the torture, the fear and the hunger. She didn't want to do this horrible things, but she did not want to go back into torture until death. She had no doubt he would kill her this time, and she wanted to live.
"I want to live... and I am at your mercy. I will do what you tell me to do."
 
Back
Top