It's that time of year . . .

Since I burned out on turkey in my youth, I have two small wild hog hams smoked with pineapple and brown sugar in the freezer ready to heat up.
 
Well, we had Thanksgiving a month ago, but here's one my favourite soup recipes for our southern neighbours. Happy Thanksgiving!

Carrot Soup (sort of a Potage de Crecy)

2 tbsp good quality cooking oil
1 medium onion, chopped (Vidalia, if you want it sweeter)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
2 lbs carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
6 cups chicken broth (you can use vegetable broth for vegetarian/vegan)
Salt and Pepper (preferably fresh ground) to taste

Saute the onion in the oil (in an adequate-sized pot, of course) until translucent. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, and pepper. Add the sweet potato and carrots, and stir while sauteing another minute or two. Add broth (and salt, if the broth isn't already salted), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft (about a half an hour). Let it cool about ten minutes or so and then puree. I use a hand-held immersion mixture right in the pot. If you use a blender, puree it in small batches.

Feel free to add a dollop of sour cream of even cream cheese to each bowl when you serve it, and a dash of nutmeg looks (and tastes) good as well.
 
Back
Top