Share your knowledge of foreign languages here...

erotica_n_s

Really Really Experienced

Okay, I’d like to learn a few expressions in other languages...

e.g., How do you say “Let’s see what happens...” in French? For example, when you’re talking about something you intend to do, you explain what you think you’d like to do, and then add “...but let’s see what happens...” just to indicate a little uncertainty? How do you say that in French?

Or, how do you say “nothing...” in French? e.g. if you’re smiling about something, and someone asks you what you are smiling about, and you just coyly want to say “nothing..." How do you say that in French?

How do you say “I don’t know...” in French?

If you know these expressions in other languages, e.g. Spanish, Italian, German, etc. that would be appreciated, too.

BTW, can anyone translate the lyrics of this song into Engligh, please?

Thanks very much...

Okay, I’d like to learn a few expressions in other languages...

e.g., How do you say “Let’s see what happens...” in French? For example, when you’re talking about something you intend to do, you explain what you think you’d like to do, and then add “...but let’s see what happens...” just to indicate a little uncertainty? How do you say that in French?

Or, how do you say “nothing...” in French? e.g. if you’re smiling about something, and someone asks you what you are smiling about, and you just coyly want to say “nothing..." How do you say that in French?

How do you say “I don’t know...” in French?

If you know these expressions in other languages, e.g. Spanish, Italian, German, etc. that would be appreciated, too.

BTW, can anyone translate the lyrics of this song into Engligh, please?

Thanks very much...

I don't know all of those phrases but

Nothing-de rien
I don't know-je ne sais pas

.If you know these expressions in other languages, e.g. Spanish, Italian, German, etc. that would be appreciated, too.

I could help you in Spanish.

Let's see what happens...: "Ya veremos qué pasa..."

Nothing: "Nada"

I don't know... "No lo sé..."

I don't know all of those phrases but

Nothing-de rien
I don't know-je ne sais pas

De rien is more commonly used as your welcome

Rien du tout would be closest to a meaning of nothing Firmly translated it's "nothing at all" But in informal circles it is just ... Nothing

we shall see/ lets see Nous verrons loosely translated very informal dialogue

What are we doing tonight? Ehh, nous verrons!

De rien is more commonly used as your welcome

Rien du tout would be closest to a meaning of nothing Firmly translated it's "nothing at all" But in informal circles it is just ... Nothing

I need my friends to stop teaching me french, lol.

How do you say "No problem" in various languages?

E.g. if someone apologises to you, because they think they've caused some kind of inconvenience to you, and you want to reassure them that there was no problem at all, how would you say that in French/Spanish/etc.?

It's not so much that I'm trying to learn these foreign languages... maybe it's just that the "pretentious" part of me wants to appear "sophisticated" and "hip" by throwing in little bits of foreign languages into my everyday speech...

I've started saying "nous verrons" in my speech these days... LOL... (BTW, how do you say "LOL" in Francais?)

East Texan..."Hey Y'all check this shit out!"

How do you say "No problem" in various languages?

E.g. if someone apologises to you, because they think they've caused some kind of inconvenience to you, and you want to reassure them that there was no problem at all, how would you say that in French/Spanish/etc.?

In Spanish, you would say, "No problema", or "No hay problema", literally translated as there is no problem. Pronunciation tip: "hay" is not pronounced like the word hay. It is pronounced like the word aye.

Often, in conversation, when someone says gracias, which means thank you, you'll get a response of de nada which literally translates as for nothing. It sounds dismissive, but figuratively speaking, it means, "It was nothing."

In Spanish, you would say, "No problema", or "No hay problema", literally translated as there is no problem. Pronunciation tip: "hay" is not pronounced like the word hay. It is pronounced like the word aye.

Often, in conversation, when someone says gracias, which means thank you, you'll get a response of de nada which literally translates as for nothing. It sounds dismissive, but figuratively speaking, it means, "It was nothing."

In French, a common response to "Merci (thank you) is similar: "De rien" which also means "nothing."

“Let’s see what happens...”
French: On y verra (or on verra)
German: Schauen wir mal was passiert or mal sehen was passiert.
Hungarian: Meg látunk.

"Nothing". e.g. if you’re smiling about something, and someone asks you what you are smiling about, and you just coyly want to say “nothing..."
French: 'à rien'
German: ich nichts gedacht
Hungarian: semmire (pronounced as shemmyrë). Or Miért? (why?) Or "a holdról" (of the moon). However, most will just shake their heads instead of answering.
Arabic: Lashai jadeed (nothing much) or wala shy (I really think this is it, but I could be very much wrong. My Arabic is extremely rudimentary) or mafesh.

“I don’t know...”
French: Je ne sais pas or 'sais pas'. Or 'Aucune idée'
German: ich weiß nichts
Hungarian: Nem tudom. Or fogalmam sincs. Or halvány gözöm sincs (I haven't the faintest steam).

No problem. E.g. if someone apologises to you, because they think they've caused some kind of inconvenience to you, and you want to reassure them that there was no problem at all, how would you say that in French/Spanish/etc.?
French: pas de problème!
German: kein problem!
Hungarian: Semmi gond (don't think about it). Or nincs mi (nothing to it) or szivessen (with pleasure). Hungarian is a complex language, so it depends on who you are talking to, the degree of politeness and a myriad of other factors.
Arabic: 'awfan.

French: MDR (mort de rire or death from laughing)
German: haha or *lächel*
Hungarian: hfn (hangos felnevet, or laughing loudly)
Or... LOL is pretty much universal.

I've started saying "nous verrons" in my speech these days... LOL...
I would actually say 'on verra' as opposed to "nous verrons". Nous verrons is a bit awkward.

Last edited:
I think the last set of answers is the most complete.

In school, I learnt all the conjugations of nous, but it sounds really formal in spoken French. In almost all circumstances, it is replaced with the more circumspect on. For example, "let's go" would normally be translated as allons-y (literally, "go [we] there"), but I think on y va (literally, "one there goes") is far more colloquial. Allons-y sounds a little bit pompous. For the same reason, I would pick on [y] verra before nous [y] verrons, to mean "we shall see", even though a grammar book will tell you that the latter is the correct translation.

Plug: if you want to read an erotic short story in English that includes a few French and Russian words and phrases, why not take a look at Mouse's Maiden Voyage.

Back