The Official Author's Hangout 2015 April Fool's Day Contest Support Thread

23 votes already and....under a 4. Guess I'm getting my answer early on. Unless the personal trolls are up early EST.

ETA MY story shows up on the Incest hub with three other incest stories so fare for today. All have scores below four. Guess the trolls do get up early.

Now....out to shovel:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I started a story two weeks ago and had 750 words, then stopped. I didn't have any idea where to go with it. Two days ago I took another look at it and the story took off. In two days I finished it and it was over 9,000 words. My editor got it back to me this morning and I just submitted it.

I like being part of the contests and the quick posting. Best of luck to all that enter the contest.
DG

My story was trashed in the comments. Every comment. Not trolling comments. But genuine critics of why they didn't like my story. Never seen anything like that before, which was not that surprising since the storyline was weird.

If those readers don't like my current story, they probably won't like my 2 other bdsm stories with far fetched storylines- a private detective and a bondage wife.

But the strange thing is that my story has a red H (as of now) and has brought in many author/story favorites.

My two are up - links in my signature, but not on my list of submissions, nor on New Stories yet.

But I have had two votes... How?

Did you check the Catagory Hubris?

I was up late last night and saw that the new stories were on the Hubris, but not yet on the New Stories list.

23 votes already and....under a 4. Guess I'm getting my answer early on. Unless the personal trolls are up early EST.

ETA MY story shows up on the Incest hub with three other incest stories so fare for today. All have scores below four. Guess the trolls do get up early.

Now....out to shovel:rolleyes:

I checked my score at 1 am, west coast, and my score was 3.75.

So yeah, looks like late night trolling votes.

Don't know if I'll finish my contest piece. More possibly bad family medical news is wrecking my focus on storytelling. We'll see.

Best wishes to you and yours. :rose:

Thank you. We could use a vast reduction in drama. Been too much drama lately. With any luck, it will clear up and I can go back to writing travel blogs as we traverse this world.

Commentary:

My bdsm story had the most interesting results I've ever had.

There have been around 8 fiercely negative comments about the realism and so forth. Not troll comments. But genuinely negative critics- paragraphs. It's almost Loving Wives territory. The complaint was that a daughter eventually submitted to her deceased mother's domme. Fair enough, but it's a fantasy.

But on the flipside, it did very strong numbers in terms of votes & author/story favs (much more than I expected), along with a decent score. I think having the word "family" in the description helped draw an audience.

Also, it just goes to show that categories matter. If this story was in Incest, there would be no complaints about the realize. Readers there are much more open to fantasies than other categories.

How are all of your stories doing? What you expected?

Mine just got zapped. Other than that, voting is slow, which is what I would expect. It's 9 Lit. pages. It should take time to read. I trust that like before, it will do OK in the ratings when the final sweeps go through. I'm not really sure why the haters waste their time. They truly have to be malicious and "not all there" to just keep zapping away as they do.

Last edited:
You got me curious. But where are the 8 fiercely negative comments?

Commentary:

There have been around 8 fiercely negative comments about the realism and so forth. Not troll comments. But genuinely negative critics- paragraphs. It's almost Loving Wives territory. The complaint was that a daughter eventually submitted to her deceased mother's domme. Fair enough, but it's a fantasy.

But on the flipside, it did very strong numbers in terms of votes & author/story favs (much more than I expected), along with a decent score. I think having the word "family" in the description helped draw an audience.

Also, it just goes to show that categories matter. If this story was in Incest, there would be no complaints about the realize. Readers there are much more open to fantasies than other categories.

I have a story done. A new editor has it for several days now. *Anxiously tapping my fingers* Seeing the strands of beads (Mardi Gras souvenir from our son) draped over our computer does suggest encouragement antics.

Commentary:

BDSM is a tough category.

First you have the faction that has no idea what it really is and expect a lot of "beatings"

Second-you have trolls that do not understand BDSM but see it all as sick abuse and just zap it like they do incest/non con and anything else they personally hate.

Third...You then have the "real deal" readers and they are hard to please and I think so accustomed to finding inaccurate crap there, they're harsh on everything they don't see as "just right"

To me, BDSM is a simple category. My other stories have done well, even though I know nothing about it.

(frankly, my current story is doing very very well despite all the harsh criticisms)

The essence of a good BDSM story is the relationship between the dom and sub. It's the psychology. One person giving up their body for the pleasure of another person.

It's like like having a personal trainer. The trainer says "do xyz" and the client does it and gets results in the process.

But many readers in BDSM are similar to that of Loving Wives, where they expect absolute realism.

You got me curious. But where are the 8 fiercely negative comments?

Sorry, deleted them. :)

Last edited:
It's true that enough readers here think they know what the "rules" of BDSM are to downrate what doesn't follow their "rules," but there are no rules of BDSM--it doesn't even have to be done "right" in a story for there to be a BDSM story (and maybe a pretty good story).

If someone gets tied up, it's bondage, and therefore a form of BDSM. If someone gets dominated and that someone and the other gets off on it, it's domination, and therefore a form of BDSM. If someone gets physically degraded or abused, it's sadism, and therefore a form of BDSM. If someone wants to be physically degraded or abused, it's masochism, and therefore a form of BDSM. It doesn't have to follow anyone self-proclaimed expert's "rules" or even have to be done "right." It's BDSM by its sheer existence--and belongs in the BDSM category here and should be accorded every regard on the basis of what it is trying to convey as a story.

There will be some game players who will vote it down for not following "rules," but they have brains the size of peas and the problem in this is theirs not the writer's.

Mine has four favorites already, but a lousy score. Here's hoping a sweep will take care of that.
I have a great idea for a second entry, but no time to write it! Grrr.

I love the attention contests bring. Just a few hours since it appeared and my story has more votes than a third of my non-contest stories.

I love the attention contests bring. Just a few hours since it appeared and my story has more votes than a third of my non-contest stories.

I just checked and had 666 votes on over 11,000 reads. My score has been slowly going down over the last 300 votes. it's down 1.05 from it's high. The commenbts have been wonderful and I had fun writing the story. Thinking of writing another one. The first one was Romance but this one would be Loving Wives.

I don't normally get a lot of votes, even in the Erotic Couplings or Group Sex categories because my stories are mostly true experiences. I guess readers want to be kind to an old lady. My current contest story has 82 votes already; only three stories have more with 226 being the most. I attribute the votes to a clever plot and young characters.

Last edited:
This contest seems pretty quiet for the first week.

I've got a mother/son story lined up for Sunday. A short 2 page story. It's about a mother who "cures" her sea sickness through hypnosis. She goes to a boating resort with her son. Only there was a problem with the "cure."

The short time between contests is likely reducing the number of early entries. We'll see what happens as the submission period gets closer to the end.

I'll be surprised if it ends up breaking much above 40, though.

The short time between contests is likely reducing the number of early entries. We'll see what happens as the submission period gets closer to the end.

I'll be surprised if it ends up breaking much above 40, though.

Part of the push for an Earth Day replacement was that it was lower entered contest, guess this one is carrying on the tradition. It does seem a little early....

I wonder if the theme is hurting it, in the sense that it would be harder to put up a story that has no real connection to it.

Example summer/Winter all people have to do is say "I was sitting on the beach" and summer story!

This one requires a little more effort.

I've got an idea. A kind of retelling of Bluebeard. A woman deceived in who she thinks she's married. But no time to write.

Back