This thread is going to the dogs...

tumblr_oj7k1uISmw1sn75h6o1_1280.jpg

I'm sorry, I completely misread your original post. Dogs are special. My favorite was the blue-eyed Husky that guarded the junkyard to our roofing shop when I was a kid. We had him on a huge chain with 1 in links that made it look like we were hiding a bear. Worthless. He was the nicest animal ever. It didn't help that he got fed quarter pounders from McDonald's all the time. I'm ironically more of a cat person.

Thinking back to my old cocker (Dog #1).

My partner usually makes fruitcake for Christmas, soaked in brandy. One year she made a particularly big one and put it on our table, on a beautiful old glass cake stand.

You have probably already guessed where this story is going, but we didn't have the benefit of hindsight. It was a high table and Dog #1 was pretty arthritic by then, so there was no way he could reach the table top.

We went out to a Marina and the Diamonds gig and came back to find His Majesty in the middle of a god-almighty mess of glass shards and ruined cake all over the floor. He hadn't been able to reach the table top, but he had been able to pull the tablecloth until it fell. As far as we could tell he'd eaten about a kilogram of fruitcake.

It must have just happened, because he was bright and alert when we got home, but half an hour later he was rolling drunk. There's a lot of brandy in my partner's fruitcake. He was badly hungover the next day and we were not at all sympathetic.

(Don't try this at home. Alcohol, sultanas, and glass shards are all bad for dogs, and we were very lucky he got away with nothing worse than a hangover.)

Dogs can be very tricky, getting into food, I had spent the better part of a Sunday making yeast doughnuts with sugar glaze, as they cooled on the table my Dalmatian got up on the table and ate the whole plate of them!
I thought for sure she would get sick, but no... she just licked the sugar off her lips all night long!

I'm sorry, I completely misread your original post. Dogs are special. My favorite was the blue-eyed Husky that guarded the junkyard to our roofing shop when I was a kid. We had him on a huge chain with 1 in links that made it look like we were hiding a bear. Worthless. He was the nicest animal ever. It didn't help that he got fed quarter pounders from McDonald's all the time. I'm ironically more of a cat person.

I have always had cats around and love them. Now dogs have also taken a warm place in my heart.

Dogs can be very tricky, getting into food, I had spent the better part of a Sunday making yeast doughnuts with sugar glaze, as they cooled on the table my Dalmatian got up on the table and ate the whole plate of them!
I thought for sure she would get sick, but no... she just licked the sugar off her lips all night long!

Our beagle eats poop... :eek:

Thinks that make our dogs go nuts #23, #472, #23424, #133449, etc.......

tumblr_ojo8ayeGPC1s0ru22o1_1280.jpg

My poor little doggy has tried for years to catch one of these critters ^^^ never has caught one and hope she doesn't, because I'm pretty sure it would take all the fun out of the game for her.

My poor little doggy has tried for years to catch one of these critters ^^^ never has caught one and hope she doesn't, because I'm pretty sure it would take all the fun out of the game for her.

..and it is rather difficult on the little critter. :eek:

We had an infestation of bunnies a few years ago and one of the juveniles got through the chain-link. Beagle got to it and it was a horrible mess. The next day I installed a rabbit fence along the bottom of our full back yard chain-link to keep those little bunnies out. Some dogs once they have made a first kill become very fond of the taste. :eek:

The circle of nature... :cool:

Our corgi-mutt loved chasing flies. I don't think he ever caught one but it was pretty funny watching him charging around the place leaping in the air and snapping his jaws.

..and it is rather difficult on the little critter. :eek:

We had an infestation of bunnies a few years ago and one of the juveniles got through the chain-link. Beagle got to it and it was a horrible mess. The next day I installed a rabbit fence along the bottom of our full back yard chain-link to keep those little bunnies out. Some dogs once they have made a first kill become very fond of the taste. :eek:

The circle of nature... :cool:

I fear in this case it would the dog that it was difficult on. She's not much bigger and way less agile than the squirrel she wants to capture....then it's very likely that the squirrel get's that first taste of blood and becomes a danger to the community :eek:

Our corgi-mutt loved chasing flies. I don't think he ever caught one but it was pretty funny watching him charging around the place leaping in the air and snapping his jaws.

This harmless charging and thrashing about is what I hope continues here :D

My dog (a husky) likes to catch flies and bees and wasps. He his successful rather often and eats them all up. I an astounded that he does not get stung all the time. :eek:

Back