How To: Open a password protected file in another program?

jaF0

Watcher
Joined
Dec 31, 2009
Posts
36,090
I have a couple of stories I scratched out in WordPerfect and set passwords on them. I've switched to LibreOffice now and no longer use WP. I still have a version on an old PC that's sort of in storage. I could fire that up if need be. I have the WP7 installation CD too, but I don't know if that version will work on Win 7.

But I'd really like to know if LO has any method of opening the file. I know the PW so there's no issue there.
 
You should be able to just straight open it with Libre. Are you getting some sort of error message when you try?
 
Ah, so it's not prompting you for the password? You'll need to download either a word perfect converter or a word perfect itself to get it to prompt for the password. CNET has Word Perfect for Windows version, either as free downloads, or trial versions. You mention you have it on disc - it should work on windows 7, so I'd install it and see how it goes. Libre won't prompt you for the WP password, so all you'll see is that protected data. (It's not true encryption when you password protect something, but it is encoding so it's not readable.)
 
Back
Top