To win the wounded heart (closed)

Asa

Writer...Dream...Fantasy
Joined
Jun 9, 2003
Posts
36,474
tumblr_o9z66hteNa1skqjozo1_400.jpg

She was older but not old and the job was really an escape for her from the same old routine. She talked occasionally to a few of the older ones like her 30s and 40s simply there to work and enjoy the break from her solitary life.
tumblr_nb38kpqklZ1qmdr3lo1_500.gif

He was young. Early 20s but he could rarely relate to those his age and younger around him. He wanted more than the parties and meaningless workplace hook ups. Besides most younger women couldn't keep up with his insatiable hunger to pleasure and make love. Then he saw her... So quiet so beautiful so distant yet tap danced on every desire and yearning in his being. He thought he was insatiable before now all he wanted was her but she seldom got near or even spoke to the younger workers. He had to change that... But how... Before she drove him insane.
tumblr_o9z657EJVd1skqjozo1_400.gif

tumblr_o9xbap7dpy1skqjozo1_400.jpg


tumblr_o9xap1PFrA1skqjozo1_400.jpg


-----------
He watched the old man talk with her for a few moments before she drove off for the night. He was luckily parked next to him as the old man nodded to him as he unlocked the door to a truck that looked as old as he was.

Mr. Davis...

What kiddo?

The old man called everyone that.

What's her story?

The old man smiled.

You want to know about our out of tower?

Yeah... I do... Lena seems so distant so... So strong but so...

Alone.

The old man finished his thought.

Yeah something like that.

He stared off down the road even though her car was long gone.

The old soul has a crush. Tell Josh to put you on the same team with her and talk to her. Be sincere and patient our Lena doesn't open up too easily. But I will say this... With her life she xould use a little happiness and someone to treat her right. She has a good heart. Well good night kiddo.
 
Steven was in the middle of rush hour traffic but Steven never would have known. All he could think about was his older co-worker. Her age gave her an exoticness that he couldn't quite put his finger on. It was a type of beauty Steven just wasn't used to. As attractive as she was a certain phrase repeated over and over as he drove home, "she could use a little happiness."

The receptive young man knew something was wrong with Lena. The rare times they did interact he could see a pain behind her piercing brown eyes. Whatever it was he had to find out. It consumed his evening. Before heading to bed he opened up his laptop and sent out an e-mail.

"Josh,

We're finishing up the Target account and things are looking good. I know the Sinclair account is just starting and I was wondering if I could get on that. I think I'm ready and I know you need as much help as you can get. Let me know in the morning.

Thanks,
Steven"

Waking up at the next morning he saw the notification light blinking on his work phone. Clumsily pulling it out his heart pounded as he opened the e-mail. It pounded even harder when he learned he would be working with Lena.
 
Packaging wasn't any from of glamorous job but it was the steady repetition that Lena took comfort in. As usual she was sealing the boxes and wrapping pallets of product for the forklift to haul away and talking with Brynlee some about music a little. Josh walked him over to the line.

Lena... I am gonna have this one load the pallets for you if you could also run quality and make sure these kids get all 24 units in the boxes.

Not a problem Josh. Hey. Welcome aboard one of the more annoying order lines.
 
"Thanks," Steven said with a smile. Not wanting to spook the woman he immediately got to work. After Lena would quickly inspect a package Steven would load it onto a pallet. It wasn't the hardest of jobs but the pay was decent and it was cheaper than a gym.

Every now and then he would look over at Lena, her brown hair cascading over her shoulders. He would catch bits and pieces of her conversation but never enough to join in. The warehouse they worked didn't have the best ventilation and it got hot after awhile. Wiping his brown Steven noticed that sweat making her shirt stick to her chest. The young man pulled his eyes away having to keep it professional. Still she would occasionally catch him ogling and he couldn't help but blush before getting back to work.
 
We were just talking music and how we both overheard one of the highschool girls here comment "it was nice of Liv Tyler to buy her dad and his old man friends a music career"

She laughed a little shaking her head.

So what sorts of music do you listen to?
 
"Me?" Steven asked with a bit of shock. Perhaps Mr. Davis's talk made him more nervous than he needed to be. Then again he was just caught staring at the older woman so maybe he had reason to be nervous.

"I listen to a little to everything but usually stick to rock. What about you?" the young man asked between packages.
 
I listen to all different kinds but for pop and metal other than the classics I lean towards the European groups and some Canadian groups as well.

She smiled a little. Music was very much her sanity through it all. But it wasn't the sort of escape that paid the bills and she had plenty of bills in the wake of her divorce and all the twists and turns that divorce was causing her.
 
"Canadian groups? Can't say I've heard of too many. Maybe you make me a mix," Steven casually suggested. Brynlee whispered something to Lena that got her a playful slap on the shoulder. Before Steven could continue the alarm went off signalling it was already lunch time. Before he could even ask Lena to lunch she had already walked away with Brynlee.
 
Her usual was a simple cup of coffee in the break room. Like she didn't want to leave this place unless she had to. Brynlee sat with her as did Mr Davis who motioned Steven over.

Join us old soul.
 
Steven took a seat with the trio. Clearly knowing each other for awhile he tried to figure out the group's dynamic more than anything else. Keeping things light he would was able to joke as if old friends, even making Lena laugh into her coffee. Each time his heartbeat going a bit faster. Crushing on the older woman he tried to read figure out if she felt the same.
 
Last edited:
She still seemed relaxed with him there and Mr Davis just smiled to him as they all talked. Her phone buzzed that a text or call was coming through and she moved her hand to get it. Seeing it was a message and read it she sighed shaking her head.

Let me guess the rat is up to his BS again?

Brynlee al.ost growled to which Mr Davis chimed in like only he could to try to add humor and help Lena stay calm

Brynlee stop insulting rats they are far better people than that slug.
 
As soon as Lena's phone buzz the whole mood changed. Brynlee used seemingly every swear word ever invented while Mr. Davis tried to keep things jovial. All the while a sadness swept over Lena that hadn't been seen all day.

"Everything alright?" Steven asked with concern, taking her hand into his without realizing it.
 
Just my ex...well soon to be ex I hope if he will quit with all the mind games and dragging court crap.

She just stared at his hand holding her with no idea what to do.
 
"Well if you need anything, you let me know." Steven said sincerely. Immediately noticing Lena staring at his hand he let go, a blush running across his face. Before he could apologize the alarm went off signalling the end of lunch.

"Back to the grindstone," joked Mr. Davis before they all got up.
 
She just nodded knowing there was probably nothing this young man could do. Smiling to Mr Davis with a slight laugh. She and Brynlee walked on ahead and Mr Davis held Steven back.

Pretty good so far but unless you are a cop or a powerful lawyer there isn't much any of us can do but talk and listen to her for now. Did you see how she honestly had no idea how to react to a comforting touch? You did good and turning crimson like that was an entertaining little addition.
 
Returning to work things went back to normal. Palettes were filled, jokes were told and every now and then Steven would get caught staring like a lovelorn teenager. It could be embarrassing but it made Lena smile which was more than enough for Steven. And as soon as they returned to lunch their shift had ended. They had gotten to a good start but the project would still take at least a week to finish.

"Mind if I walk you to your car?" Steven asked Lena as they started to head out.
 
Don't you want to talk with the others your she about all the big weekend plans and such?

She didn't say no she just wasn't sure why he would want to.
 
"Its cool. I really don't have much planned this weekend. Besides, I would prefer talking to you," Steven explained before holding the exit for Lena.
 
You don't tend to hang around with the others here your age?

She was curious at why he would be so interested in talking with her.
 
"Not really. The people my age here are pretty immature. Like Susie, I'm sure you can outdrink me. Doesn't mean I need to hear about it all day. Besides you seem cool and I like chatting with you," he sincerely answered as they walked together.
 
So that's why Mr Davis calls you old soul sometimes.

She laughed a little with a smile.

Well here's my car. Guess I will see you tomorrow and thanks.
 
"It was my pleasure," he said with a smile. "And remember if you need anything, even just to talk, I'm here for ya," he continued handing her a piece of paper with his number on it. Getting in the car Lena drove off leaving Steven alone. He thought he saw a car follow Lena's as she left when he was suddenly surprised.

"Ya did good, kid. She seems to like you, just don't screw it up. She doesn't need the trouble," said a nearby Mr. Davis.

"I don't plan on it," I said before getting into my car. All in all, Steven thought it was a good day and couldn't wait for the next.
 
She slipped the paper into her purse and drove home. It was about a 45 minute drive but she didn't mind. It was alone time... Just her... music and the open road. The interstate was seldom all that crowded heading home for her but just enough cars for someone to hide that they were following her.
 
The next day we a bit brighter for Steven. He didn't want to say it was love at first sight he but he was looking forward to going to work more than ever. Despite the hurt Lena had a positive energy to her that Steven found intoxicating. Getting past security as he went to his work area he got a smile from Brynlee and Lena.

"Morning ladies," Steven said putting on his gloves.
 
Morning Steven...

Brynlee nodded.

Careful though Josh and Lena are a little ticked today. Sinclair has changed their order allotments again so we are redoing everything and having to delay the Newson order by at least a week.

Lena was tapping away at the quality computer and Josh was on the radio connected over his shoulder listening to shipping gripe at the news.
 
Back
Top