What's cookin', good lookin'? Part II

Thanks!

Stock, premade liquid ( from my freezer).

No Worcestershire, ok. :)

And tomatoes.....that's really interesting and useful! Lots of the recipes I found seem to specify tinned tomatoes with green chillies, ( which we cannot get here) and ones that had none were sea food, but in a real kitchen its often not the case that books are right. :). Thanks!

OP in this thread:
http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=467625

Made me try to cook gumbo once.

And tomatoes.....that's really interesting and useful! Lots of the recipes I found seem to specify tinned tomatoes with green chillies, ( which we cannot get here) and ones that had none were sea food, but in a real kitchen its often not the case that books are right. :). Thanks!

It's just another preference. Louisiana gumbos do not really have tomato added because there's already plenty of other flavors imparted by the roux, trinity, etc. But for some reason tomato is common outside of Louisiana. Tomato with jambalaya is another story that Louisiana is divided between the Cajuns history (brown jambalaya) and the creole history (red jambalaya because tomato).

The only thing that really makes a gumbo traditionally more difficult than a soup is the patience of making the roux, BUT now stores sell roux in jars that have made it all much easier and enabled more people to make their own.

Bon chance!

Homemade muffalettas tonight. I am making the olive spread with extra peppers.

Homemade muffalettas tonight. I am making the olive spread with extra peppers.

I've never tried to make my own olive salad before. I usually buy the jarred. What bread are you using?

I'm enjoying that there's a gumbo and muffalettas going on. Maybe someone can do a jambalaya, a crawfish etouffee, and a shrimp creole.

I gave in and made the meat pies J's been asking for for years. Well not really, because the ones he's been asking for are very bland and even greasier than the ones I made. But I'm gonna call them meat pies and say that his wish has now been fulfilled.

Now I'll have to think of something else to make our 10th anniversary special. I had originally promised him I'd make them then.

Those look interesting seela. Are they fried?
My meat pies are.. meat, gravy and veggies in a regular pie crust and baked in the oven. That looks more like what I would call an empanada.

What do the crust and the filling consist of?

Those look interesting seela. Are they fried?
My meat pies are.. meat, gravy and veggies in a regular pie crust and baked in the oven. That looks more like what I would call an empanada.

What do the crust and the filling consist of?

Nope, they're baked. And I guess they shouldn't be called pies, but rather pastries, but the Finnish name is specifically pie and not pastry, so I don't know.

The crust is made with butter, flour and quark. Roll out, add filling, fold over.

The filling is beef mince and a bit of cooked rice and the leftovers of tomato sauce that I had to use up. I seasoned it kind of Middle Eastern-y, which of course is not at all traditional.

Last edited:
Nope, they're baked. And I guess they shouldn't be called pies, but rather pastries.

The crust is made with butter, flour and quark.

The filling is beef mince and a bit of cooked rice and the leftovers of tomato sauce that I had to use up. I seasoned it kind of Middle Eastern-y, which of course is not at all traditional.

That sounds awesome! They look really good... now I want a Columbian empanada! They are made with corn masa instead of flour, have a meat and potato filling, super delicious. Oh, and they are deep fried :eek: so good though!

That sounds awesome! They look really good... now I want a Columbian empanada! They are made with corn masa instead of flour, have a meat and potato filling, super delicious. Oh, and they are deep fried :eek: so good though!

There's a different type of meat pie, a more common one, too. It's made with a yeast dough and it's deep fried. It's kind of like a meat etc. filled donught...

I don't like either kind that much, but J's really been pestering me about these meat pies lately.

There's a different type of meat pie, a more common one, too. It's made with a yeast dough and it's deep fried. It's kind of like a meat filled donught...

I don't like either kind that much, but J's really been pestering me about these meat pies lately.

Now you can tell him to stuff his pie hole :p :p :D

Skrei (Norwegian Arctic cod) cooked in white wine, crumbled bacon and mushrooms fried with shallots, estragon and fennel seeds.
Sereved with cauliflower and melted butter.
Hardy's Nottage Hill Chardonnay 2014 to go with that.

Can't take credit for anything other than the choice of wine and husband.:D

Well if you can serve it with Bostongurka, it can't be all bad.:D

I think Bostongurka is the best thing about it. :D

Once I bought meat pies made in a small bakery and some high end fixings to go with them when J had a birthday. I think it's still the best birthday meal he's had.

And your dinner above sounds so good! You clearly picked an excellent husband. :)

I've never tried to make my own olive salad before. I usually buy the jarred. What bread are you using?

I'm enjoying that there's a gumbo and muffalettas going on. Maybe someone can do a jambalaya, a crawfish etouffee, and a shrimp creole.

The olive salad is just rough chopped olives, five or six kinds, but leaning in favor of green, plus a few kinds of peppers for heat and color. I have banana and pepperoncini and roasted red peppers in the fridge, so will use those. The bread is an oval loaf, but with the requisite sesame seeds, from a local bakery. I have tried to find the round sesame loaf here, but to no avail. I am about as far away from Louisiana as one can get in the country.

I was going to do chicken breast tonight, but all the talk of gumbo here put me in a NOLA kind of food mood. I spent hundreds on high-end dinners there last year, but my favorite meal was lunch at the Central Grocery. And midnight beignets and coffee.

That looks great! I have inadvertNtly made something similar improving on the idea of pan bagnat in a closed bread, but this looks so delicious. ( and this picture of you is perhaps the most beautiful yet!)

I am feeling switched on to food!

gIanbattista could not wait till tomorrow when the idea was raised. i have made my first brown roux.....it was fun. :). He showed me a recipe from the trumpeter Wynton Marsalis in his facourite cook book, but that guy has everything in there ....and more, and we have no crab and stuff... So i am sticking with a no tomato straight down the middle version. :).

I have also decided to break my alcohol fast again. :(. I have mixed feelings about this. Having read about and thought about flavours i'm going to pair a chenin blanc with the gumbo ( i know beer might be a good choice other wise) , and just have a small glass.

Purple Haze from Abita is the best beer for gumbo, for sure! But I think a chenin blanc will be terrific. Hell, gumbo goes with everything.

I am also alcohol fasting. Damn calories, plus sugar. Trying to reduce both.

From start to end.

(I just wish I wouldn't suck at taking pictures.)

Last edited:
Primalex, that all looks really yummy!

I made pan fried salmon with orange roasted carrots and fennel. And naturally salad of some sort, but there's no way I'm gonna share a pic of that. :p

Back