How to deal with sories inspired by real people.

BigGunnz

Experienced
So I'm working on my next piece. Its my longest one yet and there is a lot of character developmemt. One kf the two main characters is based heavily on a real person, with some highlights added in from other people I know. Some of the dialogue is based on actual conbersations ive had.

If anyone i know in real life read the story they could pick out the people my characters are based on.

What do you do with a situation like that? Do you just change enough physical details to be able to claim this person is entirely fictional? Could there be a liable issue? Could you claim the person is an amalgamation of several real people and the events are entirely fiction?

So I'm working on my next piece. Its my longest one yet and there is a lot of character developmemt. One kf the two main characters is based heavily on a real person, with some highlights added in from other people I know. Some of the dialogue is based on actual conbersations ive had.

If anyone i know in real life read the story they could pick out the people my characters are based on.

What do you do with a situation like that? Do you just change enough physical details to be able to claim this person is entirely fictional? Could there be a liable issue? Could you claim the person is an amalgamation of several real people and the events are entirely fiction?

Change the name. Change a physical attribute or two and then call it a day. Chances are very slim anyone you know will ever find your story, much less recognize themselves. If it makes you feel better, add a disclaimer: "Everything written is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual people, living or dead, would be purely coincidental."

What Bucky said.

I have several stories based on real people I just changed the names and a couple of physical attributes and pounded them out.

Thank you. I appreciate it. Thats what I'm going to do. This one will be my best one yet and I'd hate to find out I can't share it with you fine people.

Just as Bucky said.
As long as you change a name and something in appearance, and as long as you don't quote the conversation to the word - no one will ever suspect. Even if that person himself reads your story, he'll at most think something like "yea, that really do happens" or "I have had a conversation just like that once".

There's really too much people on the planet.

Back