Conversation thread for "The Queen's Quest"

TimTimTyner

Really Really Experienced
Joined
Jun 6, 2016
Posts
382
Conversation thread
for
"The Queen's Quest"


If you are or wish to be a member of
"The Queen's Quest"
this is where we hold our discussion about it.


FAQs: I anticipate that some questions will be asked more than once, therefore I will be posting links here to Frequently Asked Questions and their answers.
 
Question: You haven't mentioned experience points until now. How will that work. The couple of times I played D&D as a kid I thought it was hokey (my Grampa's word) that suddenly a character would jump up a level with the accumulation of that one special point.
 
Question: You haven't mentioned experience points until now. How will that work. The couple of times I played D&D as a kid I thought it was hokey (my Grampa's word) that suddenly a character would jump up a level with the accumulation of that one special point.

Answer: No, there are not set "level advancements" based upon XP numbers. I will likely "level up" a character at the end of a significant event (if it seems appropriate), to both prepare them for the next, more challenging event and to reward them (and you) for a job well done.

Like most of "The Queen's Quest", I am making this up as I go. :D
 
I want to apologize. I kind of rushed through that post because I had to get to work. Do you mind if I rewrite the creative part of it before you post the results of my turn? I won't make a habit of this. I promise.
 
I want to apologize. I kind of rushed through that post because I had to get to work. Do you mind if I rewrite the creative part of it before you post the results of my turn? I won't make a habit of this. I promise.

Of course! I am actually on my way to work on the bus so I won't even read it until my first break. Go ahead and just edit it was already there and I will read it for the first time as if it was the way that you wrote it the first time.

In the future if we get additional players or develop a following of readers we won't be able to make changes like this without noting it in a new post. Otherwise people don't realize that changes have been made because they don't typically go back and reread a post before making their turn. So keep that in mind. Post like that which are explaining that changes have been made can be made here in the conversation today. This is a good place for out of character type comments like that. That is why I created this thread.
 
For CutiePie and any other player in the future.

If you ever get a PM from me titled "Spoiler...", don't open it until you have done what else is in the title, such as "...read latest IC post first" or "...take your turn then read this".
 
Is there still room for this? I'll join if there is.

There is, but...

I'm redesigning the "flow" of action ... making it simpler. CutiePie and I began this once, only to find it too difficult for me to manage; then we started again, only to find the same thing.

I hope to have it ready before the end of the weekend.
 
There is, but...

I'm redesigning the "flow" of action ... making it simpler. CutiePie and I began this once, only to find it too difficult for me to manage; then we started again, only to find the same thing.

I hope to have it ready before the end of the weekend.

Don't rush on my part. I know that once you have it figured out, we'll have a great time.
 
I want to apologize to those who are or wish to be members of this story. I found myself overwhelmed with the role plays and even contemplated entirely quitting. I have cut back on my existing stories to just this one and one other and promise that by the end of the Fourth of July weekend I will have this turn-by-turn game functioning.
 
I know I'm way behind on getting this up and running; and I want to apologize. I work on it every day, and I find problems every day. But I'm getting closer.

CutiePie, I think I am done with Sharla's profile, per what we discussed in PM. Don't get pissed when you see the addition of a gender bonus, ha ha. You'll be happier when you see what I do to your Dwarf's profile: I'm going to make female Dwarfs tougher than their male counterparts, just for the fun of it!

Anyway, I am going to:
  1. Finish up the profiles for your other two characters tonight.
  2. Go back and edit the IC a bit per what we talked about in PM.
  3. Send you the first string of random die rolls per the Expedited Melee Process which you and I discussed in PM, allowing you to conduct the first few melee rounds on your own.
  4. Then, once we are sure this will work, I will open the game to other players.

BTW, for those who don't know what I mean in #3 above -- the EMP -- I have a plan that will speed up the conduct of melee. I am not entirely happy with the EMP so far, so I won't explain it yet. I'm going to test it with CutiePie for a full Battle, then reassess changes as necessary.
 
I have a couple of questions about how certain things work but other than that what I see seems to be what you told me I was going to get. So I'm very happy. I do believe it looks a lot easier and a lot simpler to manage than what we were doing before so that's good. I think we deserve a pat on the back for all of your hard work even if it does end up being just you and me alone.

That being said I do hope that we get at least one more male writer. I want my female characters to be both adventurers and lovers. I would not mind doing both with another female writer as well.

This is off topic of course but I am wondering about our other role play. I know you have been busy and that's why we haven't been doing anything with it but I'm wondering if we're still going to do that?
 
I will fully explain the Melee portion to you in PM. I want us to test it out first before I involve other players since you and I have been going at this already.

Concerning the other RP, I will start a new OOC tonight.
 
Well, that didn't work... :(

I spent most of the day finding and fixing errors in just those two posts, only to find more errors.

I'm going to change it ... again!

I'll PM you when I have it fixed. I'm going to make it simpler, yet again.
 
CutiePie:
  • This is the new "template" after I adjusted everything. I don't think you'll find any surprises: we discussed all of this in PM over the past days.
  • You can feel free to exchange it for the previous templates, simply for continuity.
  • I will recalculate the Melee Rounds in a moment, post them, and then we can continue with Melee Rounds #3 and #4.
  • I am using the original die rolls when possible. If I see a change that is significant enough to cause alarm, we can reroll a Melee Round or two. But I think the actions you took with the PCs were good, so ... let's see if it works.
  • This template may change again in the future, but for now I think this is the best we've had to work with yet.
  • Also, another thought: once we finish with a Battle and move on, we can go back and delete some or all of the templates if we want. This allows us and others to more easily read the story as a story. Just an idea.

"Sharla the Sword" -- Human, Warrior, Level 2.
Primary Ability: Strength
Health Points: 28
Armor Class: 5
Attack Roll: 7
Surprise Number (SN): 2
Weapons: H2H: 4d6; Dagger: 4d6; Broad Sword: 7d6.
Spell Casting: None. Spell Defense: None.​

"Allie the Arrow" -- Mountain Elf, Ranger, Level 2
Primary Ability: Wisdom
Health Points: 24
Armor Class: 4
Attack Roll: 4 (or 8 in nature)
Surprise Number (SN): 2 (or 4 in nature).
Weapons: H2H: 2d6; Bow: 3d6; Short Sword: 4d6.
Spell Casting and Defense: Capable ... soon.​

"Hannah the Healer" -- River Elf, Healer (Magic User), Level 2
Primary Skill: Intelligence
Health Points: 16 (See Profile note about rapid HP regeneration.)
Armor Class: 3
Attack Roll: 3 (see Profile notes about offensive attacks)
Surprise Number (SN): 3
Weapons, Damage, and Bonuses: H2H: 1d6; Short sword: 2d6.
Spells -- "Flash", "Daze", "Heal".​
 
Last edited:
Changes I made:
  • Instead of letting a die roll randomly pick which NPCs get attacked in which order -- which was confusing -- I instead let the PCs attack them in order, #1 through #4.
  • I added differing Attack Rolls to each of the NPCs.
  • I restructured the Surprise Numbers and how Hannah casts spells.
  • I eliminated the Natural 6 "Critical Hit".
  • Other than that, everything should be as it was.
 
Changes I made:
  • Instead of letting a die roll randomly pick which NPCs get attacked in which order -- which was confusing -- I instead let the PCs attack them in order, #1 through #4.
  • I added differing Attack Rolls to each of the NPCs.
  • I restructured the Surprise Numbers and how Hannah casts spells.
  • I eliminated the Natural 6 "Critical Hit".
  • Other than that, everything should be as it was.

I'm still a little confused about how the spells work. I see spell bonuses on the non-magical PCs but not on Hannah, who is the magic user.

Other than that, I understand all of it. You're doing a great job, and don't stress not having it all done yet. I have all the time in the realm. :)
 
Okay, finally done with Melee Round #1.

Sorry it took so long. Now that I have a format, though, I should be able to do a PC's turn in about 2 minutes ... not 2 days. :eek:

My eyes are bulging from my head with eye strain. Will you please look for mistakes and PM me back. Also, if you need to rethink your Melee Round 2 attacks, PM me the change OR make the change in your post.
 
Okay, finally done with Melee Round #1.

Sorry it took so long. Now that I have a format, though, I should be able to do a PC's turn in about 2 minutes ... not 2 days. :eek:

My eyes are bulging from my head with eye strain. Will you please look for mistakes and PM me back. Also, if you need to rethink your Melee Round 2 attacks, PM me the change OR make the change in your post.

It looks good!

I will however redo the second melee round. With the changes in damage to the bullies (good name for them by the way) I think I should take a different tack. Or is it tact? Give me a moment and I'll PM you when the changes are done.
 
You know what, this is going to become not fun very quickly...

Let me explain...
  • I have spent the last 2 or 3 weeks trying to come up with a format that is quick and easy to use and read...
  • Only to realize that it's not fun to Host.
  • The rolling and creatively writing about actions and responses is great...
  • But the formatting of all of the die rolls and such is driving me mad!

So, the only options now that I have exhausted all others is:
  • I will no longer do all of the recording of die rolls and such on the laptop.
  • I am going to print a finalized copy of the Conducting Combat page, essentially what you see in Post #9 but expanded to include ALL of the possible die rolls.
  • I'm going to put that page inside a transparent dry erase page.
  • And then I will simply conduct and calculate all of the Combat on paper (or plastic as is more appropriate to say).
  • Then, I will creativity write the results in a reply.
  • The only "numbers" I will list will be similar to the section that explains how many hit points each PC and NPC has left.
  • This will be much more fun and far easier for me to manage.
  • I still get to conduct a die roll D&D inspired game...
  • And you still get to write in an adventure.
  • Please tell me what you think of this proposal.
 
I am perfectly fine with you not posting all of the numbers. I have played Dungeons & Dragons in real life a handful of times and I saw what was involved in mastering the game is that how you say it? If you are game master? Anyway. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you to put all of this together the way you did. It looks so wonderful. But it must be so much work. I am perfectly fine with you just giving the results in paragraphs of creative writing. Do you think you will incorporate some of the die rolls just to let us see why certain things happened or are you going to eliminate them totally?
 
I am considering a much simpler template which can hold all of the die rolls and nothing more. I haven't decided yet. I think it would be easier for me just to write it down on paper and then post a creative description of what happened. I want this to remain fun for all of us while preserving the chance of die roles and strengths which certain characters bring with them in their profiles. Does that make any sense? So I want to maintain the Dungeons & Dragons aspect without publishing all the rolls, I guess is a good explanation.. I'll find a happy balance in there someplace tonight when I get home. I won't have a chance to work on anything today. By today what I mean is during this day. The next time I'll be able to get to my computer is this evening. All I have with me now is my phone and I really can't do any of this stuff on my phone. Speaking of not being able to do anything my bus is just arriving at work so...
 
That was much easier!!!!!

CutiePie, you can make your next move: attack, hold'em off, back off, what ever. You can do it as a Turn, or as a few lines or paragraphs of creative text.

BTW, I estimate that Melee Rounds are 2-4 seconds long. So, we are only 4-8 seconds into the fight. In case you were wondering.

We have 2 more writers who want in, woohoo! I will be setting them up with Profiles tonight or tomorrow! Yeah! :D
 
2 things:
  • First, I only just no realized that the red links to the PC names in the last several posts are not links to their profiles but are instead links to their pics. Sorry about that: the links were supposed to go to profiles so that at any moment it would be easy for players/readers to look at those profiles. I will fix this in my posts, but you will need to fix them in yours IF you want to do so.
  • Second, I liked CutiePie's PM suggestion about profiles, so I am going to incorporate the idea tonight when I get home. Essentially it goes like this:
    • I control the profiles as you may have noticed.
    • This is so that I can edit them frequently, as I have on almost a daily basis as we reconstructed how the game was going to be conducted.
    • However, the PC's players themselves should be able to create their own description of their PC's pasts and presents.
    • So, CutiePie suggested that players be able to post a page to the Host's Thread that contains a more detailed past and contains a recap of their PCs' activities in the story.
    • I love this!
    • So, feel free to create such a page; and after you post it I will put a link to it at the top of the character's official profile page, to give you quick access to it without having to search the Host Thread for it.

I have to go to work, but I will get on this tonight.
 
Back
Top