How do I get feedback on drafts , and work with authors and editors here ?

I started a thread with an idea I had . I didn't realize posting drafts for feedback was against the rules .

thread I am referring to : http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1468513

What is the best way to do this here ?

I assume you are looking for feedback BEFORE you submit the story for publication. Your best place to start is the Editor's Forum. Post a message seeking an Editor or a "Beta Reader". (Beta Readers don't provide grammar, punctuation, spelling assistance like editors do) Include the category the story fits in, the word count, and a brief description of the kind of feedback you are looking for (grammar, spelling, plot holes, organization, etc)

If you want feedback on a story that has already been published, post a request in the Story Feedback forum. Include the title, category, word count, and the URL of the first page of the story.

I assume you are looking for feedback BEFORE you submit the story for publication. Your best place to start is the Editor's Forum. Post a message seeking an Editor or a "Beta Reader".

OK, I will give that a shot , I'm not sure they get the kind of traffic there that will yield me much , but I will prepare to be surprised.

OK, I will give that a shot , I'm not sure they get the kind of traffic there that will yield me much , but I will prepare to be surprised.

True, it does not seem to get much traffic. But every time I've posted there seeking an editor, I've found one. Once, I was even so specific as to request an editor who was an experienced sailor. I figured it was a long-shot, but I found someone in less than a day.

I started a thread with an idea I had . I didn't realize posting drafts for feedback was against the rules .

thread I am referring to : http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?t=1468513

What is the best way to do this here ? Trying not to narrow myself down to working with a single editor .
There isn't a good way to do this because - please forgive my rudeness - no one gives a shit about you. There are lots of people who intend to write a story by never take it all the way to publishing it. Until you publish a story, you're just a wannabe writer. Write something, publish it and then people will take you more seriously.

BTW, my first post on Literotica was a request for an editor/beta-reader for a wildly overly-optimistic plan to write this massive story that would have spanned over 25 years. No one took me seriously, thank god, and the first few chapters of that (rather boring) opus is still on my hard drive.

There isn't a good way to do this because - please forgive my rudeness - no one gives a shit about you. There are lots of people who intend to write a story by never take it all the way to publishing it. Until you publish a story, you're just a wannabe writer. Write something, publish it and then people will take you more seriously.

Huh. That wasn't my experience. When I finished my first story, I went on the Editor's Forum looking for a second set of eyes and got two responses pretty quickly. Of course my first story was just a little over 6,000 words. Maybe it pays to start small.

Huh. That wasn't my experience. When I finished my first story, I went on the Editor's Forum looking for a second set of eyes and got two responses pretty quickly. Of course my first story was just a little over 6,000 words. Maybe it pays to start small.
To me, here's the process:
* You write your first story
* There are some people out there who are nice enough to edit it for you (I found one when I finished my first story and he was a huge help as my writing was awful initially)
* You publish the edited story
* You get feedback on the story in terms of rating, comments and votes
* You can also get feedback by creating a thread in the Story Feedback forum

The OP seemed to want to toss out some ideas and get feedback on them from a variety of people. I think most people aren't interested in providing feedback on rough, unedited stories (I have one beta-reader who enjoys reading my story as I write it, but I think that's really unusual). There's no guarantee the OP will actually ever publish the story.

The OP seemed to want to toss out some ideas and get feedback on them from a variety of people. I think most people aren't interested in providing feedback on rough, unedited stories (I have one beta-reader who enjoys reading my story as I write it, but I think that's really unusual). There's no guarantee the OP will actually ever publish the story.

Yeah ok, that's a fair observation. I guess the OP's situation is a bit different from mine. I pretty much followed the process you outlined to the letter.

I am continually surprised by the number of wannabe writers who seem to think that fiction writing is some kind of team sport. Whatever happened to the days when writers wrote, editors edited, publishers published, and then, perhaps, readers offered some sort of feedback?

I am continually surprised by the number of wannabe writers who seem to think that fiction writing is some kind of team sport. Whatever happened to the days when writers wrote, editors edited, publishers published, and then, perhaps, readers offered some sort of feedback?

In all seriousness (you grumpy old coot), it has to do with the widespread advent of cooperative learning and it then being implemented by public school teachers that didn't actually understand how to do it correctly. (and, yes. I have a M.Ed., but don't hold that against me. I never actually used it. Well, kind of. But, only with 18 and older. Typically more 40s and up. At a small and now defunct "technical college" of sorts.) Pre-1995 (or so) there was a lot more emphasis on rugged individualism in lecture-listen-practice styled courses with each student expected to do their own work and any involvement with another student looked on as "cheating".

So, pretty much anyone who matriculated post the cooperative learning movement has some insecurities that can only be overcome by having someone else's thoughts before the final project is turned in when the task is something such as writing which stirs subliminal cues to return to that format.

And, I think I just sprained something being serious for that long. I gotta go find somewhere to type in a ridiculous and wholly inappropriate response to work out the cramp in my psyche.

Last edited:
In all seriousness (you grumpy old coot), it has to do with the widespread advent of cooperative learning and it then being implemented by public school teachers that didn't actually understand how to do it correctly. (and, yes. I have a M.Ed., but don't hold that against me. I never actually used it. Well, kind of. But, only with 18 and older. Typically more 40s and up. At a small and now defunct "technical college" of sorts.) Pre-1995 (or so) there was a lot more emphasis on rugged individualism in lecture-listen-practice styled courses with each student expected to do their own work and any involvement with another student looked on as "cheating".

So, pretty much anyone who matriculated post the cooperative learning movement has some insecurities that can only be overcome by having someone else's thoughts before the final project is turned in when the task is something such as writing which stirs subliminal cues to return to that format.

And, I think I just sprained something being serious for that long. I gotta go find somewhere to type in a ridiculous and wholly inappropriate response to work out the cramp in my psyche.

Grumpy old coot? I prefer to think of myself as a salt-water fowl. A fulmar, perhaps. Old? Yes, guilty as charged. And grumpy? Well, who wouldn’t be? But thank you for the explanation.

The only ‘cooperative learning’ that I can recall from my schooldays was that if a classmate was genuinely struggling with their homework, it was usually best to help him out. Otherwise Mincing Mundy took it upon himself to thrash the whole class. Why Mincing thought that this would improve learning or morale, I never really understood. Although … perhaps it did. The gowned brigade moved in mysterious ways back in those days when everything was in black and white and shades of grey.

:)

BTW, my first post on Literotica was a request for an editor/beta-reader for a wildly overly-optimistic plan to write this massive story that would have spanned over 25 years. No one took me seriously, thank god, and the first few chapters of that (rather boring) opus is still on my hard drive.

Well , I can tell you this was not the case for me , and I am working with an editor .

Most of the feed back is things like punctuation , and the restructuring of sentences. The most important feedback I am getting , is "This isn't clear to me , expand on it" or "I am left wondering about this part" That is helping immensely .

This is also not a work of fiction , so it's not like I need help with the "plot" or "character development" or anything like that.

Back