Why do I get no comments?

Readers are fickle creatures. Sometimes, they like to pontificate. Other times, they're meh.
I don't mean to knock the readers - I mean, God bless them. On the other hand, as I think I've said, sometimes they seem like locusts descending on whatever stories were recently released and then they move on. Lit produces a lot of content, and attention spans are short. On most sites I've seen, comments tend to be sparse. I only had one instance that I remember when a reader responded a second time to whatever I said. Sometimes "Thank you" is all that is worth saying to them.

Was Nathanael West referring to movie audiences when he picked his title?

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41ZASrf1PPL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

I've written two multi part series. It seems like the chapters that people score super high get almost no comments. The chapters high in conflict score lower, but get more comments. I'm not writing in LW but it seems like a similar pattern.

I also noticed (at least for me), Romance has few views, but the ratio of votes /comments seems 5x higher than other categories.

Also most comments are anonymous, even the nice ones. Maybe long haulers with lots of followers have a different experience.

Also most comments are anonymous, even the nice ones. Maybe long haulers with lots of followers have a different experience.
My rule of thumb is one Comment per thousand Views. If I get more comments than that, it's either visible fans (using their account names), and/or the story has struck a chord.

I reckon my Comments ratio, overall, is fifty/fifty anon versus Account Names. I can't see myself ever blocking anon comments.

If the readers feel slighted, they turn into trolls and make your life a living hell! Or not, what the fuck do I know?
I don't mean to knock the readers - I mean, God bless them. On the other hand, as I think I've said, sometimes they seem like locusts descending on whatever stories were recently released and then they move on. Lit produces a lot of content, and attention spans are short. On most sites I've seen, comments tend to be sparse. I only had one instance that I remember when a reader responded a second time to whatever I said. Sometimes "Thank you" is all that is worth saying to them.

Was Nathanael West referring to movie audiences when he picked his title?

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41ZASrf1PPL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

If the readers feel slighted, they turn into trolls and make your life a living hell! Or not, what the fuck do I know?
I've been lucky in that I've only had one or two (anonymous, if I remember correctly) who seemed to follow me around. If they seem argumentative, I usually don't start up with them. Often they are saying something obvious anyway. Comments don't really work for complicated discussions.

No, they don't, you get things like, "You're going to get an STD and die. Or at least I hope you do."
I've been lucky in that I've only had one or two (anonymous, if I remember correctly) who seemed to follow me around. If they seem argumentative, I usually don't start up with them. Often they are saying something obvious anyway. Comments don't really work for complicated discussions.

Oh boy, the comments thing again. I have asked in many works for people to leave comments and yet they forget about it. Maybe it's for not asking at the end, but at the beginning, but still... I have put more words than your average guy and have just a couple of comments to my name. They're just rare and such is a fact. Unless you post something controversial or such.

My rule of thumb is one Comment per thousand Views. If I get more comments than that, it's either visible fans (using their account names), and/or the story has struck a chord.

I reckon my Comments ratio, overall, is fifty/fifty anon versus Account Names. I can't see myself ever blocking anon comments.
I have one comment per every 450 views. But, as I try to acknowledge all comments, adjusting for that gets me up to around your level at one per every 900 views.

Em

Back