What's cookin', good lookin'? Part II

Not to be outdone by Tinglebliss:

attachment.php

^-- Alternative Mince Pies that I've just made. :)

Mmmmm, next year I'm not going to make mincepies. MF has the job! :heart:

Just pulled two pecan pies (Grandma D's recipe and using Mom's pie crust recipe) from the oven.

They're a little darker than I like but hey! each year is an adventure.

Happy Yule, ya'll!

We really need to exchange pecan pie recipes.

This all looks so good. I made trays of finger sandwiches this year. It all turned out really lovely. I’m prepared for the New Year osechi ryori so i might post a picture of that. Simple but fun and colorful. I look forward to 2018. ^_^

Oh yeah, post a pic of that! Your food always looks so beautiful and tasty.

Also, can I get in on that pecan pie recipe exchange? Not that I have a pecan pie recipes to swap, but I think I'd like to try making one. I've had pecan pie once and it was pretty good. :)

I bake pies for everyone.
Mine is from a 1935 Good Housekeeping magazine. My grandma had it folded in her cookbook. :heart:

Who knows? Might be the same damn recipe! LOL

Seela, I'll see about sending you a copy also.

Pecans are more expensive than walnuts this year. I can only surmise it's because of the hurricanes hitting the major growing areas. Then again it could be just greed.:eek:

Who knows? Might be the same damn recipe! LOL

Seela, I'll see about sending you a copy also.

Pecans are more expensive than walnuts this year. I can only surmise it's because of the hurricanes hitting the major growing areas. Then again it could be just greed.:eek:

Thank you!

I’m not as well as I thought I’d be at this time, so I’m slowly making osechi. I just made the candied sardines, they’re so cute!

Happy New Year! ((o(^∇^)o))

I made some traditional Japanese dishes to celebrate today. Along side this, I made inarizushi and vegetable nimono.

Looks amazing, as always! But what's in it? :)

Thanks. (^-^)

The yellow rolls are Datemaki - rolled egg with fish paste.
The black beans are Kuromame - black soy beans stewed for a long time in sweet seasoning.
The prawns are Ebi No Umani - simmered in sake.
The pink and white is Kamaboko - slices of fish paste.
The grey twists are Konnyaku - this is a yam paste that I cooked in the vegetable nimono which is just a simmered dish.
The yellowish Paste is Kuri Kinton - sweet potato and chest nuts.
And the white and orange is Kohaku Namasu - pickled daikon radish and carrot.

Here’s the wiki on osechi: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osechi

Mine isn’t very grand, but it’s tasty and has a homemade charm I think. :)

Thanks. (^-^)

The yellow rolls are Datemaki - rolled egg with fish paste.
The black beans are Kuromame - black soy beans stewed for a long time in sweet seasoning.
The prawns are Ebi No Umani - simmered in sake.
The pink and white is Kamaboko - slices of fish paste.
The grey twists are Konnyaku - this is a yam paste that I cooked in the vegetable nimono which is just a simmered dish.
The yellowish Paste is Kuri Kinton - sweet potato and chest nuts.
And the white and orange is Kohaku Namasu - pickled daikon radish and carrot.

Here’s the wiki on osechi: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osechi

Mine isn’t very grand, but it’s tasty and has a homemade charm I think. :)
I'd love to try something like that. It looks pretty and sounds tasty!

I cooked arctic char with Brussels sprouts and roasted onion puree. Looked nowhere near as nice as your osechi. :)

A pound of pulled, garlic knots split in half, cole slaw and baby rays bbq sauce

I've been cooking a lot with Romanesco broccoli recently. Yesterday I made broccoli pasta, but replaced the regular broccoli with Romanesco. It was really yummy. The flavor of Romanesco is a lovely cross between cauliflower and broccoli and it simply looks stunning.

It's also amazing just steamed, seasoned and drizzled with garlic infused olive oil or burned butter before serving.

Today I'm making bean soup with chorizo.

This thread hasn't seen much action lately. Has everybody stopped eating? :)

Chicken and rabbit - surprisingly similar in both how to cook it and how to butcher it.

I've cooked with rabbit before, but this was the first or second time I cut it into pieces myself. It went surprisingly smoothly. Must be all those practice chickens!

I also made mead today.

Salmon, zucchini and pineapple salsa.

I need to bake something soon. My fingers have been itching for it for weeks now.

Looks like I'm still the only one cooking. :)

I cooked sage chicken and carrots and I made pesto from the carrot tops with walnuts.

For Father's Day breakfast, I cooked J a pork chop served over a bed of pureed butternut squash dusted with black Himalayan salt and a side of oven roasted rosemary potatoes smothered by a single butter-fried egg.

Now if I could just figure out what to do with all the mangos in the backyard.

For Father's Day breakfast, I cooked J a pork chop served over a bed of pureed butternut squash dusted with black Himalayan salt and a side of oven roasted rosemary potatoes smothered by a single butter-fried egg.

Now if I could just figure out what to do with all the mangos in the backyard.

Oh this all sounds so tasty!

I'm making a simple salad topped with with harissa coated eggplant and pistachios.

I made pesto from the carrot tops with walnuts.

I'm making a simple salad topped with with harissa coated eggplant and pistachios.

These both sound amazing. I've never had a pesto made with carrot tops. Do you just substitute them for the basil? And harissa eggplant? OMG! Yes, please! Now I have to find that recipe too...I saw eggplants for sale this week somewhere.

I wish I had something interesting to post, but my meals have been rather simple lately. We had grilled mackerel with an arugula salad dressed with wafu dressing last night. Tonight was mixed rice with edamame, shiitake, carrot, and Abura-age.

Back