Healthy Eating/Fitness Goals? Check in here!

Eilan

Absent(ish)
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Posts
10,431
I know that the BDSM Café used to have a fairly active fitness thread, but I don't think we've ever done anything similar in the HT.

Anyway, I think the thread is pretty self-explanatory: post your workouts/successes/failures here, or stop by for motivation and/or shaming.

My plan for today:
My husband and I signed up for a team rowing challenge through his employer's gym. To earn a t-shirt, we have to visit the gym at least 13 times in January and row at least 18,000 meters. This will be super-easy for me; I can probably meet the distance goal in a week or less. I'm going to try to get my husband to go row with me once he wakes up (he works 11PM-7AM Tuesday-Saturday)

I also plan to lift today. I'm currently on Week Two of my first cycle of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program. I used this program for most of 2010 and saw some pretty impressive strength gains (for me, at least).
 
Lady C and I ran 10 kilometers before supper today (and 8 yesterday... And the day before that, now I think of it). It was dark, windy and a light drizzle... But who cares when your loved one is sweating alongside you?
:heart:

We run at least every other day if possible.

It has been a little less in December, and that, and the good food, has brought me dangerously close to a BMI of 25.
We will drop the candy and cookies, and run a bit more often (and go to 10-15 k rather than just 8), and that should take care of it.
 
Last edited:
Just got back from the gym. It's officially closed until January 5, but I have 24-hour access, so I can still get into the building.

I did 5/3/1 for bench press and barbell rows, and I also did dumbbell chest presses for five sets of 10 and cable rope crunches for five sets of 10.

Then I did 3,000 meters on the C2 rowing machine. I'm 1/6 of the way to the challenge goal of 18,000 meters! Unfortunately, I didn't get my husband to go with me.
 
Just got back from the gym. It's officially closed until January 5, but I have 24-hour access, so I can still get into the building.

I did 5/3/1 for bench press and barbell rows, and I also did dumbbell chest presses for five sets of 10 and cable rope crunches for five sets of 10.

Then I did 3,000 meters on the C2 rowing machine. I'm 1/6 of the way to the challenge goal of 18,000 meters! Unfortunately, I didn't get my husband to go with me.

If we were workout buddies and we averaged our performance, my half of your output would be enough to get me into shape. ;)
 
Checking in, because I need to do better this year -- I want to get in better shape, feel better, feel good enough about my body to get nekkid with someone, etc.

I probably won't be able to get really started on workout plans until Saturday, but hopefully by then, I'll have a plan.
 
I have to take my ninth-grader dress-shopping for an upcoming dance (this same daughter was FOUR when I started posting here!!). Planning to head to the gym when I get home this evening.
 
I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on healthy eating (although I love comparing notes/new recipes), but I'm terrible at exercise beyond a little salsa while I'm doing my household chores.:eek:

I need to get more intentional about it, but just haven't figured it out yet.
 
......

I need to get more intentional about it, but just haven't figured it out yet.

Lady C is my morale.
I mostly train with her, and know that she will mock me and make me sweat, should I lapse.

Should I do it alone.... I dare not even think of it!
 
Squats for da booty today. And another 3,000 meters of rowing.
 
8k run and a trip to the gym.
(And 2 hours on the bicycle, but that was just transport)
 
Lady C is my morale.
I mostly train with her, and know that she will mock me and make me sweat, should I lapse.

Should I do it alone.... I dare not even think of it!

That's awesome! I wish my husband and I could do the same, but his work schedule makes that nigh near impossible.

One thing I *would* like to do though, is strengthen my core. I saw the The Plank Challenge circulating on FB yesterday, and I think I will give this a go. It's something I can do at home and it's a minimal time commitment, which means barring injury, I'll have practically no excuse for not doing it.
 
I need to do better WRT food. I undereat.

Cutting out alcohol (98 days!) and diet soda really cut down on my cravings for salty foods, which have always been my downfall. When I'm stressed I don't eat, and 2014 was a stressful year.
 
The Plank is great.

It is in our standard gym routine. While one do dead lift, the other is in the Plank......with a 10 kilo sandbag placed on the butt.
:D
Then we switch for a total of 4 or 6 times.
 
I ran 5 miles but then I ate Burger King. I had the veggie burger but then I also had the onion rings, so kind of a mixed day.
 
Gonna continue with aerobic stuff and avoid protein ( no meat ) to avoid too much muscle build-up. I'm a mesomorph and my body loves to make muscle :rolleyes:
 
I feel like I should have fitness goals, but I wouldn't know where to start. Are there any good resources that have helped you on your journeys?
 
Oooh, thank you Eilan! I'm loving this thread already. After finally figuring out what is wrong with my stomach and getting that in order, I have more energy so I'm determined to really make it to the gym. Plus, for a lark, I am doing the squat challenge again. Problem is that I get the waist gap for jeans - yay hour glass - and now my butt and thighs are filling out my pants whereas the gap is bigger :rolleyes:

I feel like I should have fitness goals, but I wouldn't know where to start. Are there any good resources that have helped you on your journeys?

I had incredible luck with sparkspeople.com, and I know many swear by myfitnesspal.com. C25K is fun, if you want to start running. Classes might also be good. I also NEED to go to the gym, otherwise I wouldn't be serious about working out. I don't like throwing away money - I'm very diligent about it, so if I paid, I make sure I get my money's worth!

Best way, for me, is to make a long term goal. For example, I want to break several lift records at my gym, so I'm working towards that. A friend of mine wants to compete in a 10k run, so she's training for that, another friend loves triathlons, so he's focusing on getting ready for a semi in the fall.

Figure out your motivational style, your goals and your reasons for having goals and go from there. There's no right or wrong way about it, just what's right for you.
 
I feel like I should have fitness goals, but I wouldn't know where to start. Are there any good resources that have helped you on your journeys?
Date a physiotherapist :)
they know all the tricks
But FB is right - choose something you enjoy: it might be a team sport thing or solo. I like sports where you don't even notice you're getting fit like dinghy sailing or hockey. And start slow or else you'll get disheartened: everyone has to start somewhere, so enjoy the journey. It should be fun :)
 
Thanks for posting....l workout four days a week, but l've been on holidays for two weeks. Cant wait to get back to the gym on Monday!
 
Another 3000m of rowing. I'm at 9000m -- halfway to the distance goal for the challenge. I want to try to row farther than anyone else.

My husband started the rowing challenge this morning and rowed 4000m.
 
Being poor is really working for us. :D

When we are trying to save money we eat less meat and never eat out. So lately it's lots of fresh veggies and water/tea (no sugar).

My husband has lost a lot of weight recently and has been tracking his walking through an app on his phone. The last week was busy at work for him and in two days he walked 11 and 12 miles. O_O He typically is the one to volunteer to help and usually that requires he move a little more than most.

I on the other hand have been home bound hunched over a computer and my gym buddy is currently out of commission. It's now up to me to find something I care about enough to be more active. >.<

I hope everyone is having success in reaching their goals. :rose:
 
I had a brain stem stroke in May, so I literally have not set foot in a gym since May 9th.

I have received the okay that I may go back to the gym by my doctor, so in the next several days I shall be hitting it hard...for a stroke survivor. :p Pretty excited about it, I have missed it horribly but I am also apprehensive about how far I have fallen. I also still have numbness on my dominant side (right) in my foot and hand, some strength and coordination issues too.

But one has to start somewhere and if I am at the bottom I only have up to go...

My eating has become out of whack too...I am bored and not exercising so I do find myself in the kitchen for something to chew on...I have no idea what happened during my oral stage but I love to have something in my mouth. :rolleyes: I don't chew my nails but I do usually have a pen or pencil in my mouth, chew gum, etc. I don't like wasting calories on liquid because I would rather chew, haha.

So going to be getting a personal trainer to work with and setting up face time with a nutritionist.

Glad to have this thread. Did there not used to be a fitness doms thread where they helped whip you in to top form? :p
 
The Plank is great.

It is in our standard gym routine. While one do dead lift, the other is in the Plank......with a 10 kilo sandbag placed on the butt.
:D
Then we switch for a total of 4 or 6 times.

Wow! Um, yeah. I'll be happy to hit the thirty second hold of day one, sans the the sandbag! :eek::D

I'm starting this today. I just need to locate my phone so I can access the stopwatch function. If I don't come back to post that I actually did this, and you know me on FB, give me a nudge. I need the accountability.
 
Back
Top