BabyBoomer50s

Pen Pal

Awakening in California: A Short Story​

A 2019 accident put Rip in a coma. He came to last week in a different world.​

By
Allysia Finley

Dec. 24, 2023 4:21 pm ET

It was Christmas Eve.

A week earlier, Rip awoke from a four-year coma. Doctors called it a miracle. Last thing he could remember, he was driving south on I-5. It was Dec. 31, 2019. It was pouring rain. KNX was reporting about an outbreak of a mysterious respiratory virus in Wuhan, China. And then bam!—an SUV plowed into him.

The world he awoke to was dramatically different. Joe Biden was president and Donald Trump his opponent. There were wars raging in Israel and Ukraine. And, my Lord, gas cost $5 a gallon. It had always been expensive in California, but he couldn’t recall prices this high.

Yesterday, his wife, Jess, took him shopping at Target. Toothpaste, deodorant and paper towels were locked up. She said stores did this to keep shoplifters from clearing out the shelves. He nearly had a coronary when he looked at the prices. Twelve bucks for a pack of cotton socks? Three dollars for a half-gallon of milk?

They were spending Christmas Eve with family in Riverside. Four years ago, his sister Rachel and her husband, Steve, had bought a three-bedroom tract home for $400,000. Homes in her neighborhood were now fetching close to $700,000. You might as well be living in Texas where the weather is the same and everything costs half as much.

They had thought about moving closer to the coast but couldn’t afford to at current prices and mortgage interest rates at 7%. Last time he could recall rates being this high was around 9/11. In any case, homeless people were now everywhere. There was no escaping them, unless you moved out of state.

That’s what his brother James’s family did when California went into “lockdown” in March 2020. Lockdowns, Jess explained, were why his barbershop and favorite Mexican restaurant were no longer around. That a democratic government could order businesses and schools to close for months on end dumbfounded him.

James’s three kids were now enrolled in private schools in Arizona. The state paid for their tuition thanks to a new education-savings-account program. The accounts also paid for his youngest to get special tutoring for dyslexia.
Last time he saw James’s wife, Jenny, she had been diagnosed with metastatic melanoma. Remarkably, she’s been cancer-free for 2½ years thanks to the immunotherapy Keytruda. Her doctors told her that if she had received the diagnosis even five years earlier, she’d be dead.

James could hardly recognize his brother-in-law Steve, who had dropped 40 pounds with a new obesity drug called Wegovy. Last weekend he even won a pickle-ball tournament. “What in the world is pickle ball?” Rip asked. “Tennis but with a paddle and a Wiffle Ball,” Steve explained. Apparently, everyone was playing it.

His 27-year-old nephew, Joe, was waylaid after his Rivian electric pickup ran out of juice. None of the chargers at the local shopping center worked, so he had to call AAA. Rivian made electric trucks for yuppies, Steve explained. Joe had bought $10,000 stock in the company when it went public in 2021. Now it was worth less than $2,000.
“It could have been worse,” Steve noted. Joe had a friend who lost thousands of dollars on the cryptocurrency platform FTX. Another had invested thousands in nonfungible tokens that are now worthless. “What are nonfungible tokens?” Rip asked.

“According to ChatGPT,” Steve explained, “a nonfungible token is a type of digital asset that represents ownership or proof of authenticity of a unique item or piece of content using blockchain technology.”
“ChatGPT? What’s that?”

“Oh, brother,” James sighed. “This is going to be a long night.”

“Where did Joe and his friends even get all that money to invest?”

“The government,” Steve replied. “They made $1,000 a week in unemployment benefits and received thousands of dollars in stimulus payments that they couldn’t spend on going out.”

His 15-year-old niece, Madison, was glued to her iPhone, mesmerized by videos on TikTok. Teens, he learned, didn’t use Snap or Instagram anymore. “What about Twitter?” he asked her. “You mean X? . . . Uncle Rip, are you going to vote for Trump?”
He scratched his head. He wasn’t sure. He never loved Donald Trump but things seemed better when he was president.
“But don’t you care about abortion?”

His wife had earlier explained that Trump had appointed a new justice to the Supreme Court, which during his coma had overturned Roe v. Wade and struck down affirmative action in college admissions. Good riddance. At least there were some good political things that happened while he was asleep.

Don’t get him wrong. He was thankful he and his family were all still alive. But part of him wished to return to the world as it existed four years ago.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/awaken...rt-story-gas-election-covid-abortion-52efdfde

His wife had earlier explained that Trump had appointed a new justice to the Supreme Court, which during his coma had overturned Roe v. Wade and struck down affirmative action in college admissions.
Interesting how few people realize how radical both of these are. The first restored the Tenth Amendment, the second clarified the Fourteenth.

By
Allysia Finley

It was Christmas Eve.

A week earlier, Rip awoke from a four-year coma. Doctors called it a miracle. Last thing he could remember, he was driving south on I-5. It was Dec. 31, 2019. It was pouring rain. KNX was reporting about an outbreak of a mysterious respiratory virus in Wuhan, China. And then bam!—an SUV plowed into him.

The world he awoke to was dramatically different. Joe Biden was president and Donald Trump his opponent. There were wars raging in Israel and Ukraine. And, my Lord, gas cost $5 a gallon. It had always been expensive in California, but he couldn’t recall prices this high.

Yesterday, his wife, Jess, took him shopping at Target. Toothpaste, deodorant and paper towels were locked up. She said stores did this to keep shoplifters from clearing out the shelves. He nearly had a coronary when he looked at the prices. Twelve bucks for a pack of cotton socks? Three dollars for a half-gallon of milk?

They were spending Christmas Eve with family in Riverside. Four years ago, his sister Rachel and her husband, Steve, had bought a three-bedroom tract home for $400,000. Homes in her neighborhood were now fetching close to $700,000. You might as well be living in Texas where the weather is the same and everything costs half as much.

They had thought about moving closer to the coast but couldn’t afford to at current prices and mortgage interest rates at 7%. Last time he could recall rates being this high was around 9/11. In any case, homeless people were now everywhere. There was no escaping them, unless you moved out of state.

That’s what his brother James’s family did when California went into “lockdown” in March 2020. Lockdowns, Jess explained, were why his barbershop and favorite Mexican restaurant were no longer around. That a democratic government could order businesses and schools to close for months on end dumbfounded him.

James’s three kids were now enrolled in private schools in Arizona. The state paid for their tuition thanks to a new education-savings-account program. The accounts also paid for his youngest to get special tutoring for dyslexia.
Last time he saw James’s wife, Jenny, she had been diagnosed with metastatic melanoma. Remarkably, she’s been cancer-free for 2½ years thanks to the immunotherapy Keytruda. Her doctors told her that if she had received the diagnosis even five years earlier, she’d be dead.

James could hardly recognize his brother-in-law Steve, who had dropped 40 pounds with a new obesity drug called Wegovy. Last weekend he even won a pickle-ball tournament. “What in the world is pickle ball?” Rip asked. “Tennis but with a paddle and a Wiffle Ball,” Steve explained. Apparently, everyone was playing it.

His 27-year-old nephew, Joe, was waylaid after his Rivian electric pickup ran out of juice. None of the chargers at the local shopping center worked, so he had to call AAA. Rivian made electric trucks for yuppies, Steve explained. Joe had bought $10,000 stock in the company when it went public in 2021. Now it was worth less than $2,000.
“It could have been worse,” Steve noted. Joe had a friend who lost thousands of dollars on the cryptocurrency platform FTX. Another had invested thousands in nonfungible tokens that are now worthless. “What are nonfungible tokens?” Rip asked.

“According to ChatGPT,” Steve explained, “a nonfungible token is a type of digital asset that represents ownership or proof of authenticity of a unique item or piece of content using blockchain technology.”
“ChatGPT? What’s that?”

“The government,” Steve replied. “They made $1,000 a week in unemployment benefits and received thousands of dollars in stimulus payments that they couldn’t spend on going out.”

His 15-year-old niece, Madison, was glued to her iPhone, mesmerized by videos on TikTok. Teens, he learned, didn’t use Snap or Instagram anymore. “What about Twitter?” he asked her. “You mean X? . . . Uncle Rip, are you going to vote for Trump?”
He scratched his head. He wasn’t sure. He never loved Donald Trump but things seemed better when he was president.

His wife had earlier explained that Trump had appointed a new justice to the Supreme Court, which during his coma had overturned Roe v. Wade and struck down affirmative action in college admissions. Good riddance. At least there were some good political things that happened while he was asleep.

Don’t get him wrong. He was thankful he and his family were all still alive. But part of him wished to return to the world as it existed four years ago.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/awaken...rt-story-gas-election-covid-abortion-52efdfde
cds + bds = this dumb bs

Am I the only person who was alive in 2012? Cus gas prices in 12 and 13 are close enough to where they are not that this is kinda silly.

A Non-Fungible Token is ownership rights on a single pixel of an internet cartoon of Trump disguised as a super-hero. It's sold to investors who think that stock in Truth Social is too conservative and they need more risk.

innumerate dumb dumb.

That post by dumb dumb was akin to them omitting 2020 from their dear orange leader’s resume as "president"…

🙄

Inconvenient truths / facts are fair game for censorship in the right wing bizarro universe…

🙄

Meanwhile:

Russian propaganda and racist, bigoted hate speech is perfectly OK…

🙄

👉 "Right"guide 🤣

🇺🇸

Ultimately same probem. THought the bigger problem is we don't teach media literacy in school. Nobody seems to exercise healthy skepticism. I don't bean the insane "Question everything". I mean how did anybody think Planned Parenthood was selling baby parts? Or that Acorn was helping pimps get housing. THey have helped someone who happened to be a pimp but they obviously didn't know. Not to mention pimps need houses too.

Fair point but they really made it sound like they were doing late term abortions and carving up the baby. Not that these were normal abortions and were being used for legit research. I have zero problems with legit research. Its a little ghoulish but frankly medical research has been ghoulish for so long there were places that would put cages over grave sights. I think a lot of medical stuff falls under we don't want to know how the sausage is made.

Not that these were normal abortions and were being used for legit research.
There are many types of religious zealots, some secular even, but the anti-abortion side has a lot of them.
Personally I think that if we are going to kill something, we should use the corpse. No waste, less landfill.

There are many types of religious zealots, some secular even, but the anti-abortion side has a lot of them.
Personally I think that if we are going to kill something, we should use the corpse. No waste, less landfill.

We really should. I should add however that the reason for MOST abortion are about money. I mean the women usually say I can't afford a baby. I want to get further in my career. I want to attend college. There are a few others but all three of those statements in my head amount to I need more if I'm going provide my child with a good life.

By
Allysia Finley

It was Christmas Eve.

“ChatGPT? What’s that?”

The Republican Party has absolutely ruined California.

What's interesting is the complete lack of substantiation. However there is no lack of maga angst. Pulls it all of the heartstrings and reads like an old wives tale.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Have you seen the number of homeless?
Yes but since Democrats have controlled the state legislature for decades, control all three branches of government including veto proof majorities in both legislative chambers, and all of the largest cities are run by Democrats, I don’t understand why you think Republicans are responsible for the state’s homelessness and other problems. Perhaps you can explain.

Yes but since Democrats have controlled the state legislature for decades, control all three branches of government including veto proof majorities in both legislative chambers, and all of the largest cities are run by Democrats, I don’t understand why you think Republicans are responsible for the state’s homelessness and other problems. Perhaps you can explain.
The Democrats are communist, so if they had their way the homeless would all have somewhere to go.
With only one other state with more Republicans with California, what else could be putting all these homeless people on the street?

The Democrats are communist, so if they had their way the homeless would all have somewhere to go.
With only one other state with more Republicans with California, what else could be putting all these homeless people on the street?
Those communist Democrats you speak of outnumber Republicans 2:1 and control the state and own the homeless problem.

Those communist Democrats you speak of outnumber Republicans 2:1 and control the state and own the homeless problem.
Not to mention that at the federal level, spending stimulus money has resulted in stagflation like the 1970s.

And the Republicans (at least until Trump) just want to ramble on about abortion, Jesus, flags, apple pie, Israel, and pork barrel spending.

Oh well, as someone wise once said: "every population gets the government it deserves."

Back