Make-up

Never

Come What May
Once More unto the breach: Appearance

I need stuff to put on my face to make it look like a more abstract version of my face.

I am pale skinned.
My work involves light sweating.
This is new to me.

What am I looking for?
How do I know which brand to pick?
Are there basic tutorials?

Last edited:
I need stuff to put on my face to make it look like a more abstract version of my face.

I am pale skinned.
My work involves light sweating.
This is new to me.

What am I looking for?
How do I know which brand to pick?
Are there basic tutorials?

When I started with makeup, I received a Naked palette from Urban Decay. I'd recommend palettes as they really do offer you options if you'd like to go for a natural look or edgy contrast. You can probably purchase some cheap palettes from the makeup line called Elf. I believe Target does carry Elf. The brand is relatively cheap yet still gives you quality. That's not saying that they directly compete with other flashy brands but Elf gets the job done.

One thing to consider is what kind of skin you have when purchasing make up. Having dry, oily, or "neutral" skin types can determine what kind of products you should go for. I would advise going to the beauty section in department stores and having someone give you a consultation.

This is just something very general and the above thread probably is much more help but good luck!

If you're gonna sweat, I would avoid foundation (although some types may be ok, hopefully Satindesire can chime in here), but I remember in my younger days trying a water based foundation and having it run down my face as I sweat. Not a pretty picture. Perhaps your best bet in eyeliner and mascara would be waterproof solutions to avoid smudging and running when you sweat, although they can be a bit of a pain to remove at the end of the day.

There a tons of tutorials on YouTube for all kinds of techniques and looks you may be going for. At his point, experimentation and a good makeup remover are your friends. :)

A good primer is a must and may be all you need as far as foundation goes, especially if you try one of the tinted ones. Maybelline makes one I like.

As far as color goes, I'd try the gels or liquid formulas. Benefit Benetint can used on lips and cheeks. You can mix it with a drop of moisturizer to allow a bit more working time if you're using it as cheek color.

I like Cover Girl Bombshell cream shadow. It comes in several colors and can be built up for deeper color. It's a bit shimmery. If you don't like to sparkle, Maybelline's Color Tattoo Leather line might be a better choice. I've tried both these products, although not the matte Leather ones, and like both of them.

I'd use a volumizing mascara. I find layering a waterproof one over the top of a regular one keeps it from melting or flaking and still makes it easier to remove at night. I use Rimmel. With mascara, the brush and how you apply it is the most important part. Note: I have "good" eyelashes {An observer at school said she was "distracted" by them.} so your results may vary.

You might want to consider getting a make-over at a cosmetics counter, too.

I hope this helps.

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

Firstly, I would like to thank all of you who answered this thread. The last time I checked, it looked abandoned and I expect it to sink to the bottom without another reply.

When I started with makeup, I received a Naked palette from Urban Decay. I'd recommend palettes as they really do offer you options if you'd like to go for a natural look or edgy contrast.

What is a palette?

You can probably purchase some cheap palettes from the makeup line called Elf. I believe Target does carry Elf.

Okay. Tomorrow is my day off, I'll go over there and pick one up. What do I do with it?

One thing to consider is what kind of skin you have when purchasing make up. Having dry, oily, or "neutral" skin types can determine what kind of products you should go for.

My mother said the only time I have break-outs is near my period, so I have neutral skin.

I would advise going to the beauty section in department stores and having someone give you a consultation.

That would be a bad idea. I find such experiences uncomfortable.

Last edited:
If you're gonna sweat, I would avoid foundation (although some types may be ok, hopefully Satindesire can chime in here), but I remember in my younger days trying a water based foundation and having it run down my face as I sweat. Not a pretty picture. Perhaps your best bet in eyeliner and mascara would be waterproof solutions to avoid smudging and running when you sweat, although they can be a bit of a pain to remove at the end of the day.

I to a great deal of physical work, and even my more sedate periods are usually while standing near a 800 degree oven. There's a lot of sweating some days.

I don't want an eyeliner or mascara. I want the thing you put on your skin for abstraction. If that's foundation, is there an alternative or am I simply out of luck?

There a tons of tutorials on YouTube for all kinds of techniques and looks you may be going for. At his point, experimentation and a good makeup remover are your friends. :)

They tend to be overly long and complex, and I can't ask questions.

A good primer is a must and may be all you need as far as foundation goes, especially if you try one of the tinted ones. Maybelline makes one I like.

As far as color goes, I'd try the gels or liquid formulas. Benefit Benetint can used on lips and cheeks. You can mix it with a drop of moisturizer to allow a bit more working time if you're using it as cheek color.

I like Cover Girl Bombshell cream shadow. It comes in several colors and can be built up for deeper color. It's a bit shimmery. If you don't like to sparkle, Maybelline's Color Tattoo Leather line might be a better choice. I've tried both these products, although not the matte Leather ones, and like both of them.

I'd use a volumizing mascara. I find layering a waterproof one over the top of a regular one keeps it from melting or flaking and still makes it easier to remove at night. I use Rimmel. With mascara, the brush and how you apply it is the most important part. Note: I have "good" eyelashes {An observer at school said she was "distracted" by them.} so your results may vary.

You might want to consider getting a make-over at a cosmetics counter, too.

I hope this helps.

A :kiss: from the good little witch.

Right. I can never say enough about how important the primer is. Without it you better put nothing on. Also use a specialized brush to put foundation on. Not your fingers. Only professionals can perfectl apply foundation by their hands.

You could visit a Mac store and they will give you all the products and advice you will ever need.
:rose:

What is a primer? How many types of foundation are there? How do I know to use them?

As far as color goes, I'd try the gels or liquid formulas.

What do you mean by color? Gel or liquid formula for what?

Benefit Benetint can used on lips and cheeks. You can mix it with a drop of moisturizer to allow a bit more working time if you're using it as cheek color.

I put this on my lips as well?

I honestly have no idea what these things are but I'm not looking for a mascara. Thank you though.

For anyone else who answers, here is some information:
I use a body wash and facial cleanser.
I have a shampoo and conditioner.
I brush my teeth.
I pluck my eyebrows.
I have some chap stick.

If you are talking about anything other than the above, then please assume I have no idea what you are talking about. If it make you feel better, imagine I'm a guy asking these questions.

Right. I can never say enough about how important the primer is. Without it you better put nothing on. Also use a specialized brush to put foundation on. Not your fingers. Only professionals can perfectl apply foundation by their hands.

You could visit a Mac store and they will give you all the products and advice you will ever need.
:rose:

Okay, I need a primer. What is that and where do I get one? What sort of brush? What do I do with the primer once I have it?

I don't know what a Mac store is, but I'd rather not have this conversation with someone I don't know.

Last edited:
I googled elf products and they're a series of boxes with color. I think that's blush? I don't want blush. I also googled primer and it's not even make up. It's something you put on before you put on make-up.

This is why I don't have these conversations with people in real time. I say, "I am interested in X," and they immediately start talking about A through Z.

I am looking for something that make your face more abstract. Not lipstick, mascara, blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow... whatever else. Those all FAIL to make your face more abstract.

I'm thinking it must be foundation. I'm not sure if you put it on parts or the whole thing or how to use it. Or how to get it. Or what to get.

If it comes off when I sweat, I guess I should just give up?

I googled elf products and they're a series of boxes with color. I think that's blush? I don't want blush. I also googled primer and it's not even make up. It's something you put on before you put on make-up.

This is why I don't have these conversations with people in real time. I say, "I am interested in X," and they immediately start talking about A through Z.

I am looking for something that make your face more abstract. Not lipstick, mascara, blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow... whatever else. Those all FAIL to make your face more abstract.

I'm thinking it must be foundation. I'm not sure if you put it on parts or the whole thing or how to use it. Or how to get it. Or what to get.

No, you should not give up. Your skin is probably a big oily too that is why it absorbs the make up. A primer is like a cream you put under the make up to make it last and it also helps it apply smoothly. You use a special make up brush to put it on. Then with the same brush you put on the liquid foundation. If it's a good one no extra powder is needed. I had the same issues with my skin. Mac helped.
http://www.maccosmetics.com/index.tmpl

Here is a primer

And a brush

My face absorbs make-up? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Okay, I'll get some primer too, but will someone help me with foundation?

Edit: $42 for a brush? Is it made from a unicorn mane?!

Last edited:
My face absorbs make-up? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Okay, I'll get some primer too, but will someone help me with foundation?

Edit: $42 for a brush? Is it made from a unicorn mane?!

That's what I thought,too. Skip the foundation brush. Your fingers will be fine for what you're looking for.

I think you need a long wearing foundation. I googled it and this link popped up. It lists a wide range of products and pros and cons of each. It might be a good place to start. Best Long Wearing Foundations.

Here's one for primers. Best Makeup Primers.
If you simply want to try a primer without much commitment, Monistat {yeah, those people} makes an anti-chafing gel with the same main ingredient without all the fancy "beauty" stuff. I've used it.

monistat-chafing-gel1.jpg

I to a great deal of physical work, and even my more sedate periods are usually while standing near a 800 degree oven. There's a lot of sweating some days.

I don't want an eyeliner or mascara. I want the thing you put on your skin for abstraction. If that's foundation, is there an alternative or am I simply out of luck?

They tend to be overly long and complex, and I can't ask questions.

Make-up uses very similar terminology (here is a list) as art, so a palette is a range of colours.

I am a little confused by what you mean by make-up making your face 'abstract', as the entire point of make-up is to highlight and accentuate features. Do you mean blurring imperfections, or evening out skin-tone (that is, if you have some redness or yellow-tint in your skin, to make it all even)? Is it concealing scars or under-eye circles or making your pores look smaller?

If you want to have a complete one-dimensional face, then it takes a lot of work to do that. You'd have to counter the natural shadows and natural highlights of your face, and that takes quite a bit of make-up to achieve - including yes, eye make-up.

If it's simply to create a smooth, flawless skin, then primer is not only a must but also probably the only thing you need. Primer creates a smooth canvas, blurring out the imperfections of your skin. Many people wear only primer: I wear make-up and often forego foundation and BB Cream or tinted moisturiser for a simple primer and let my natural skin colour through.

If it's to hide dark circles under your eyes, then a concealer.

If it's just something to lightly even out your skin tone (so if you a bit of red around your nostrils or some natural discolouration) then BB Cream (such as Garnier) or even tinted moisturiser (regular moisturiser with a little colour) may be your best bet, as they will not melt off of your face.

If it's simply to ensure a healthy-looking skin, then you could probably forego the make-up itself and have a good quality face-wash with the weekly exfoliation (removing the surface skin with either a washcloth or an exfoliant), investing in a good moisturiser, making sure you sleep enough, wash your face at least twice a day, take a multivitamin and drink enough water.

Would asking a friend or a relative be out of the picture?

I think though, you need to define what you mean by making your face 'abstract', as it is not a common term in make-up and probably means something different to you than to me. Also, I really strongly suggest that you shoot SatinDesire a PM or post this question in her Make-Up Thread, as she is extensively knowledgeable, will steer you in the right direction and can give you tips in achieving what YOU want.

Good luck. Make-up is not complicated.

Last edited:
Oh, this is a long one.
I am a little confused by what you mean by make-up making your face 'abstract', as the entire point of make-up is to highlight and accentuate features.
Is foundation not make-up then? It doesn’t appear to highlight and accentuate anything.
Do you mean blurring imperfections, or evening out skin-tone (that is, if you have some redness or yellow-tint in your skin, to make it all even)? Is it concealing scars or under-eye circles or making your pores look smaller?
Sure, all of that removes the details of my face, creating an abstracted version of it.
If you want to have a complete one-dimensional face, then it takes a lot of work to do that. You'd have to counter the natural shadows and natural highlights of your face, and that takes quite a bit of make-up to achieve - including yes, eye make-up.
That does not interest me.
If it's simply to create a smooth, flawless skin, then primer is not only a must but also probably the only thing you need. Primer creates a smooth canvas, blurring out the imperfections of your skin. Many people wear only primer: I wear make-up and often forego foundation and BB Cream or tinted moisturiser for a simple primer and let my natural skin colour through.
“Flawless” is throwing me a bit, but maybe that’s what I’m looking for.

If it's to hide dark circles under your eyes, then a concealer.
Okay, so no concealer.
If it's just something to lightly even out your skin tone (so if you a bit of red around your nostrils or some natural discolouration) then BB Cream (such as Garnier) or even tinted moisturiser (regular moisturiser with a little colour) may be your best bet, as they will not melt off of your face.
I am unsure about this. I thought foundation was the thing I wanted, but I have no idea of I’m trying to even out my skin tone. I suppose I ought to try it.

If it's simply to ensure a healthy-looking skin, then you could probably forego the make-up itself and have a good quality face-wash with the weekly exfoliation (removing the surface skin with either a washcloth or an exfoliant), investing in a good moisturiser, making sure you sleep enough, wash your face at least twice a day, take a multivitamin and drink enough water.
I believe I have “healthy-looking” skin.

Would asking a friend or a relative be out of the picture?
I asked my mother, and she said I didn’t need foundation as my skin looks good. I didn’t find that helpful.
I think though, you need to define what you mean by making your face 'abstract'…
Removing the details and presenting a more homogenous appearance.
Good luck. Make-up is not complicated.
Everything is complicated. :p

Oh, this is a long one.

Is foundation not make-up then? It doesn’t appear to highlight and accentuate anything.

Sure, all of that removes the details of my face, creating an abstracted version of it.

That does not interest me.

“Flawless” is throwing me a bit, but maybe that’s what I’m looking for.

Okay, so no concealer.

I am unsure about this. I thought foundation was the thing I wanted, but I have no idea of I’m trying to even out my skin tone. I suppose I ought to try it.

I believe I have “healthy-looking” skin.

I asked my mother, and she said I didn’t need foundation as my skin looks good. I didn’t find that helpful.

Removing the details and presenting a more homogenous appearance.

Everything is complicated. :p

I am still somewhat confused by what you mean by an abstract face, as for me an abstract face means an erasing of features (I'm not even suggesting that this is what you would want, simply that this is what it tends to mean :)). I think that when you say 'erase all the features' or 'removing details' that is throwing me off (or I'm just too exhausted to think!:D). Could you provide an example?

Yes, foundation is make-up. It's usually used to provide an even surface, covering up imperfections, creating an even skin-tone or mimicking a flawless skin. That said, if you have healthy, even skin, then there is absolutely no need for foundation, unless *maybe* you're going out to the ball or something (this is hypothetical). Otherwise, why not believe your mother? If you have good skin, then moisturiser and an SPF is all that you really need.

IF you still want something, then I suggest either a BB cream or a tinted moisturiser. It provides some coverage and isn't as heavy as most foundations. OR you can go with mineral make-up, as it doesn't clog, easy to apply and provides a smooth finish (here is one example that I used to use, with great results. Also, if you scroll down, you will find tips and tricks and videos that shows how to apply to get the best result).

I don't want you to think I'm being obtuse; I am not exactly stupid, but I think the way I understand abstract and erasing of features is different than what you mean. :rose:

And things are only complicated if you make it ;) :p

In order for skin to be "flawless" and smooth, you have to remove visual detail.

Pores, scars, dark circles under your eyes, blemishes, skin tone variation, wrinkles - that's all visual information. When you get rid of it, your face becomes more abstracted.

Otherwise, why not believe your mother? If you have good skin, then moisturiser and an SPF is all that you really need.

I've had several people tell me I have good skin. I do not doubt them.

It's simply irrelevant; I'm wearing make-up to be more sociable.

I don't want you to think I'm being obtuse; I am not exactly stupid, but I think the way I understand abstract and erasing of features is different than what you mean. :rose:

And things are only complicated if you make it ;) :p

You're not being obtuse. I appreciate you coming in here and engaging with me despite my questionable terminology.

In order for skin to be "flawless" and smooth, you have to remove visual detail.

Pores, scars, dark circles under your eyes, blemishes, skin tone variation, wrinkles - that's all visual information. When you get rid of it, your face becomes more abstracted.

I've had several people tell me I have good skin. I do not doubt them.

It's simply irrelevant; I'm wearing make-up to be more sociable.

You're not being obtuse. I appreciate you coming in here and engaging with me despite my questionable terminology.

Okay, so you want to blur imperfections, to create smooth skin! Thank you for your patience. :rose:

Then I'd really recommend either a BB Cream (as it is a one step all-purpose cream: it covers imperfections, evens out your skin tone and brightens without being 'too heavy'), or a tinted moisturiser (basic moisturiser with some colour that provides minimal cover, but it feels the most natural) or mineral powder (most provide medium coverage, is again natural looking, easy to use, is optimal for heat and you can add more to create more cover). Based on all you have said, I would say a good mineral powder is one that you should try.

Colour, unfortunately, has to be tried there. I would suggest that you go to a good makeup store (sephora, for example) as their lightening is excellent and many of their staff are trained make-up artists and can help you with techniques. Plus, they like their stuff and are so happy to teach and share their expertise

Or, alternatively, you may try a primer first, as it blurs your imperfections. I actually like this, because it looks the most natural, sort of photoshop for your skin.

What I do, if I need a bit more coverage, is put primer and then I apply a BB Cream (or if I look like a ghost because of lack of sleep or I am going out and need to look super polished a foundation) after 3 minutes I apply my primer. Otherwise, I stick to primer only.

Personally, I would stay away from foundations until you feel comfortable with the application and with the way it feels on your face. Additionally, mineral powder tends to cause less reaction than really pigmented foundation. BB Cream is also really good on most skins.

You're absolutely going to hate this, though: it will take some trial and error to find the combination that works for you. You may find that one brand makes your skin break out (MAC, for example, makes me break out terribly), or you just don't like the way it sits on your skin. It happens, and it can be frustrating, especially if you're anything like me and hate wasting both time and money. That said, a good base, whether it is primer, foundation, BB Cream, mineral, whatever, is imperative, for your comfort and to match your skin tone, or else you may look like you're wearing a mask.

You may be lucky and find something you like right away, or it may take a while. I'm sorry, I wish that it's otherwise, but this is the truth :eek:

Good luck:rose: and again, you may wish to contact SatinDesire. She really worked in this area and can probably pinpoint a good product for you to try.

Never, do you want to contour your face to make it abstract? For what it's worth, this thread is fucking adorable and so are you. So seriously, contouring?

Wouldn't it be kind of yucky to wear a foundation around a 800 degree oven? I would think you would be constantly wiping sweat and foundation off. It might be better for your skin when working in this environment to wear no foundation, and spritz your face periodically with water.

PS I found a great foundation recently called LaNeige. It provides more coverage than most foundations and it smells good and feels good. I tried a sample first. I liked it so much I bought the product. It comes in only 3 shades though. I found it at Target. This is not the kind of makeup I would wear around a 800 degree oven though.

It's enclosed. The air around it is hot, but it's not like I have sweat running down my face all day.

Anyways, I bought a primer and a BB cream. There were about a dozen of the creams, and I went through a subtractive process to pick one: I didn't need anti-aging, I didn't need anti-acne, I didn't need oil-free or ultra-hydrating, so I ended up with skin renew, which has added vitamin c.

Now if I'm ever on a cruise and in danger of getting scurvy, I can eat my make-up.

I went to look at the foundations and realized that I was unprepared. Even knowing that I wanted a long-lasting one and picking a company, there were about 50 different types. They were all variations of off-tan. I assume you pick one that matches your skin tone, but that seemed risky.

Anyways, I came home and put on the primer, which did nothing. Then the BB cream, which... maybe did something? I think my nose lost some red.

I decided to harass my mother again, and she had me put on her foundation. She said it looked 'really good' but I suddenly went from having smooth skin to having really textured skin. It also itches and I can feel it on my face, but that might just be the three layers of stuff.

I think I'll skip foundation.

Never, do you want to contour your face to make it abstract? For what it's worth, this thread is fucking adorable and so are you. So seriously, contouring?

I appreciate that you find me adorable, fucking adorable even. I feel more clueless and uninformed.

What is contouring?

Last edited:
I suspect that in addition to healthy eating one of the reasons you have healthy looking skin is the lack of makeup. No possibility of clogged pores or allergic or other skin reactions to the make-up.

You mentioned the visual minor imperfections, but the human eye takes those in and averages to an extent. Seeing someone with fresh-scrubbed skin with no make-up who still looks, on average, unblemished is what we are designed to suss out.

The fact that we can be fooled by make-up does not make a made up face more appealing. The point of blush, for example is to simulate the actual blush of arousal, which signals a ready mate. Ditto the sort of eye treatments that add depth and shadow, dilated pupils mean the same thing.

I get that you are trying to blend in in a society that is made-up and do not discount the value of that. I think you are more likely to look "made-up" with some mascara and some lip liner a couple minor shades darker than your natural lips, than simply adding pancake.

If you are committed to wearing some sort of skin tone -evening system, get a professional consult. The MAC consultant is probably more than you need, but they are very good. I assume your area has an Ulta-3. Wander in and tell the first person you see what you told us. I am sure you are not the first woman they have seen who was blessed with good skin and never needed to go through the awkward teenage years of trial and error with make-up. They are not going to laugh or condescend. They will be excited to help. Or wait for Garnate at a Vegas Lit-together.

The reason you need a professional (or a friend) is because it is really tough to "see" accurately one's own skin-tone. Better to have someone else give an opinion on that.

I don't know if there is some reason that you and SatinDesire haven't had a chat about this but her knowledge of skin and make-up products is encyclopedic.

Last edited:
If you've never worn cosmetics, I would echo some of Fire's suggestions. I would begin with a tinted moisturizer. You can get them from many places, but I recommend lines that are a little more natural because of your work environment. I like Aveda's Inner Light or Arbonne's CC cream. a teeny little pea size is enough for your entire face. You can apply with a thicker brush if you want to use it for full coverage that might otherwise be achieved with a foundation.
Start there. Add a little lip gloss and you'll have a perfectly natural face.
If you find that your skin doesn't like a liquid or cream, consider a line like Bare Minerals.

Also, I understand that you don't want to go to a woman who is wearing $400 of makeup to decide what your face will look like. However - - this can be an expensive venture and you might benefit from going to Ulta, Bare Minerals, etc to have your face done. Spend the day walking around with a particular kind of makeup on to see if you even feel good wearing it.

I'll agree with the primer and BB cream idea. That's an excellent place to start.

Garnate, ix-nay on the contouring. We finally figured out ~ we think ~ what she means by "abstract". Don't add more confusion to the mix.

bitch. <--- For Garnate, not you.

I'll agree with the primer and BB cream idea. That's an excellent place to start.

Thank you for your help.

Garnate, ix-nay on the contouring. We finally figured out ~ we think ~ what she means by "abstract". Don't add more confusion to the mix.

I appreciate your patience.

Back