The Last Thing You Thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, I should'a been in here three hours ago.

LT:
GO 'WAY STORMS I DONT LIKE YOU

Sometimes it's good to just write something without worrying about it being perfect. Getting started is harder than finishing, on occasions. With that said, I've returned from a vacation that's lasted a few days.

I thought about and still thinking about

I'm going to see someone at their home as I've purchased an item on eBay

And I'm hoping it's not some sick serial killer as all emails I've had have been at like 5am in the morning, and she claims it's a women yet it's a guy who is home

Could be a cross dressing maniac with an axe, but if your gonna go it may aswell be worth remembering eh

Sometimes it's good to just write something without worrying about it being perfect. Getting started is harder than finishing, on occasions. With that said, I've returned from a vacation that's lasted a few days.

I'm the opposite, most of the time. Getting started on writing projects is easy. The number of story outlines, notes and beginning chapters on my computer and various notebooks is ridiculous. Seriously.

Finishing them...can be a nightmare for me. Because I always think of a new idea, get excited about it and end up pushing other ones to the side that I need to finish first. It's a vicious cycle.

Welcome back from vacation! :)

I'm not sure if he was kidding or serious.
Didn't hafta yell at me.
Between both places, it takes a week or longer for replies.

Hmph.
Grumpbutt.

Who the hell sets fireworks in the middle of the d-
Oh that's thunder.
Oh.
Wait. Shit.
Gaaaah!

I thought it is too bad one cannot have a civilized exchange of ideas on the General Boards here. Threads degenerate into nonsense so quickly.

I thought it is too bad one cannot have a civilized exchange of ideas on the General Boards here. Threads degenerate into nonsense so quickly.

Nods assertively. I've noticed this also. I've never posted there, but thought about inserting myself into a conversation or two before reading on a bit longer to find utter insanity has descended. It's a shame, since I do like to have an intelligent conversation, but hate to get too side-tracked in some areas.

Nods assertively. I've noticed this also. I've never posted there, but thought about inserting myself into a conversation or two before reading on a bit longer to find utter insanity has descended. It's a shame, since I do like to have an intelligent conversation, but hate to get too side-tracked in some areas.

Okay Noon -- let's just find an interesting thread and write each other!

Let me know if you find a place where civil discourse is supported. Sadly, I have found thread on the PG to be nearly as bad as the GB.

I do enjoy a discussion where people of different ideas are open minded and willing to listen to alternate ideals. I love to hear the other side of a discussion. And have been known to change my mind even... But you have to have an environment where different ideas are allowed to be discussed. Removing the harsh attacks that are so prevalent.

Please shoot me a note if you find such a place...

Let me know if you find a place where civil discourse is supported. Sadly, I have found thread on the PG to be nearly as bad as the GB.

I do enjoy a discussion where people of different ideas are open minded and willing to listen to alternate ideals. I love to hear the other side of a discussion. And have been known to change my mind even... But you have to have an environment where different ideas are allowed to be discussed. Removing the harsh attacks that are so prevalent.

Please shoot me a note if you find such a place...

Unfortunately, that's not this place. To avoid getting tense around here, the Lounge usually avoids getting into controversial topics. It's supposed to be a light environment. We don't get into the religion or politics or realms of historical debate.

The problem with any community is that it tends to get dominated by like-minded people. It then closes itself off because the like minded put a lot of pressure on those who disagree, and then things can gradually devolve into nastiness. And like-minded people surrounded by such tend to be self-enforcing, so they become even more alienated from people who have different opinions.

I'm not immune to getting nasty with people, but only when I feel they're being harmfully close-minded about certain things. And there's always the problem of running into the "conspiracy" mindset-the kinds of discussions people have about their pet conspiracy theories. It doesn't have to be specifically about a conspiracy theory, but it's the kind of people who will shoot off a list of ridiculous speculative nonsense that they call "evidence," and it takes them zero time to generate. But to respond to it, it can take you an hour or more to compose a well-thought out and informed response to their BS, and if there's one aspect of all of the ridiculous crap that you didn't address perfectly, they cling to that as the conclusive proof that you're wrong. The internet is always going to be a feeding ground for people with that mentality because it takes way too much effort to completely address every specific bit of nonsense they can come up with. And it takes them five minutes to generate more piles of complete nonsense, and you're too tired of trying to deal with them intelligently by the end of it, so you just ignore them or get dismissive.

Wow, that was a long tangent.

Unfortunately, that's not this place. To avoid getting tense around here, the Lounge usually avoids getting into controversial topics. It's supposed to be a light environment. We don't get into the religion or politics or realms of historical debate.

The problem with any community is that it tends to get dominated by like-minded people. It then closes itself off because the like minded put a lot of pressure on those who disagree, and then things can gradually devolve into nastiness. And like-minded people surrounded by such tend to be self-enforcing, so they become even more alienated from people who have different opinions.

I'm not immune to getting nasty with people, but only when I feel they're being harmfully close-minded about certain things. And there's always the problem of running into the "conspiracy" mindset-the kinds of discussions people have about their pet conspiracy theories. It doesn't have to be specifically about a conspiracy theory, but it's the kind of people who will shoot off a list of ridiculous speculative nonsense that they call "evidence," and it takes them zero time to generate. But to respond to it, it can take you an hour or more to compose a well-thought out and informed response to their BS, and if there's one aspect of all of the ridiculous crap that you didn't address perfectly, they cling to that as the conclusive proof that you're wrong. The internet is always going to be a feeding ground for people with that mentality because it takes way too much effort to completely address every specific bit of nonsense they can come up with. And it takes them five minutes to generate more piles of complete nonsense, and you're too tired of trying to deal with them intelligently by the end of it, so you just ignore them or get dismissive.

Agree on all counts.

I see two other problems here. The biggest I think is the issue of the forum offering people complete anonymity for antisocial, spiteful and intentionally hurtful behavior. Look at the proliferation of Alts, especially on the GB. It provide people the opportunity act in ways that would never be tolerated in the real world. A chance for people to act our fantasies of aggression to intentionally hurt others or to simply stir up shit when they see people getting along.

The other problem is there are a lot of threads around that might as well be labeled private. The cliques are so strong and they go out of their way to make sure outsiders know, THEY are not welcome in their private little club. There is a real gang mentality that comes into play with everyone quickly piling on.

At the root, I believe it is as simple as people really not being interested in the other side of a discussion. Their only focus tends to be to try to convince the others of their superior intelligence.

Agree on all counts.

I see two other problems here. The biggest I think is the issue of the forum offering people complete anonymity for antisocial, spiteful and intentionally hurtful behavior. Look at the proliferation of Alts, especially on the GB. It provide people the opportunity act in ways that would never be tolerated in the real world. A chance for people to act our fantasies of aggression to intentionally hurt others or to simply stir up shit when they see people getting along.

The other problem is there are a lot of threads around that might as well be labeled private. The cliques are so strong and they go out of their way to make sure outsiders know, THEY are not welcome in their private little club. There is a real gang mentality that comes into play with everyone quickly piling on.

At the root, I believe it is as simple as people really not being interested in the other side of a discussion. Their only focus tends to be to try to convince the others of their superior intelligence.

I agree with you both. It is unfortunate that even on a place such as this where the main premise for being her is free expression of sexual desires that people can't see past their own prejudice and have an intelligent conversation without resorting to some of the tactics both of you spoke of.

It is really bad on the GB, but we have all seen it here as well. It is a damned shame for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back