Anyone Wanna FAWC?

Yes, but . . . The disclaimer says "Each of the stories in this challenge is centered around the common theme of the main character being an author who then experiences the erotic and/or unusual events he or she writes about."

The more you water the challenge down, the less of a challenge it is. I'll be writing to the challenge as stated. And I'd hope that those comparing stories will give props to those who can deliver closest to the challenge.

That's a good point. I guess I didn't think through my response to Lynn above. It would be best, for the nature of the challenge, if we stick to the theme as written, but I won't penalize anyone for straying a bit.

FWIW I'm against using recurring or previously written characters.

There is enough of that crap that goes on in the theme contests here. with the "chapter/no chapter game"

Seeing this is a "challenge" it should be challenging.

"slipping into" characters an author has a lot of experience with waters down the concept. I have characters that at this point I know like the back of my hand, it would be an advantage to use them in any contest.

My opinion of course, I'm not running the show here.

I'm not sure what your complaint is, to be honest. There's nothing about having to reuse previously written characters. The theme is that your main character is an author who experiences the things he or she writes about. That's it.

I have a question regarding formatting.

When I write stories for Lit, I always use double returns at the end of every paragraph and do not use paragraph indentation. I also use Verdana 12-point font. Basically, I write my stories the way they will appear on the website once approved. It was explained to me once, several years ago when I was new here, that doing so made the submission process faster.

My question(s): does it really reduce submission time? And if so, would it be too much to ask that everyone do the same, at least for this challenge?

Ultimately, I guess it doesn't really matter. I know we writers can be very picky about the way we write, including details such as paragraph structure and font style. I do not for an instant wish to curb anyone's writing process. I'm just stating a question.

I don't indent and do use two paragraph returns, but I leave it in New Times Roman 12, which is my system default, and I also leave it with smart quotes. I'm betting the submission system just receives it in its own font system (and with straight quotes) and that there's no difference in posting time at all.

I don't indent and do use two paragraph returns, but I leave it in New Times Roman 12, which is my system default, and I also leave it with smart quotes. I'm betting the submission system just receives it in its own font system (and with straight quotes) and that there's no difference in posting time at all.

Translating font styles is pretty easy for an editing program, so I suppose it wouldn't make a difference if we submitted stories in Arial, Impact, or even Tumbleweed font.

My query was aimed mainly toward the idea of getting all the submissions to post as quickly as possible.

Translating font styles is pretty easy for an editing program, so I suppose it wouldn't make a difference if we submitted stories in Arial, Impact, or even Tumbleweed font.

My query was aimed mainly toward the idea of getting all the submissions to post as quickly as possible.

I think your only hope of that is to directly request to Laurel that this exercise be treated like a regular contest in posting. Then the stories would post within 24-hours. We're in a contest dead zone, so that might be possible to negotiate. If she agrees, it probably means you'd have to identify them in the notes box when you submitted.

I think your only hope of that is to directly request to Laurel that this exercise be treated like a regular contest in posting. Then the stories would post within 24-hours. We're in a contest dead zone, so that might be possible to negotiate. If she agrees, it probably means you'd have to identify them in the notes box when you submitted.

I'd already considered that. In the notes section for each submission, I plan to include that every submission from FAWCker is part of an agreed-upon writing challenge, and that it would be best if all the stories could post the same day, or shortly thereafter.

And even, though it may seem like a bit of showing off on my part, I could remind Laurel that FAWCker and slyc_willie are the same, and perhaps that may reduce the posting time a bit.

I guess we'll see.

Do we title our submissions or will they get titled when submitted to Lit?

Do we title our submissions or will they get titled when submitted to Lit?

Each submission will be entitled "FAWC: Wicked Writings, Ch. ##"

However, in the text of each story, an individual title can be given. But the author's name will appear as FAWCker. When the challenge ends, on June 22nd, I will add a comment to each story giving the true name of the author.

Each submission will be entitled "FAWC: Wicked Writings, Ch. ##"

However, in the text of each story, an individual title can be given. But the author's name will appear as FAWCker. When the challenge ends, on June 22nd, I will add a comment to each story giving the true name of the author.

Cool. I have mine filed under totally Fawcked at the moment.

I'm not sure what your complaint is, to be honest. There's nothing about having to reuse previously written characters. The theme is that your main character is an author who experiences the things he or she writes about. That's it.

Its not so much a complaint as the spirit of the contest.

The word is writers challenge. There is nothing challenging about using a character that has been "in your head" for three years and your that comfortable with.

But I guess it boils down to what some people consider a challenge. For once I agree with Pilot, people should want to rise up, not water down in something like this.

I'm starting mine this weekend but it will be shorter than my usual fare. In trying to "disguise" myself I'll avoid my trademark 5 page stories as well as writing in a category I really don't have any experience in.

I also after some thought decided to put aside my "if you're not in it to win it, don't get in it mentality I get because I'm overly competitive in anything I get involved in.

I got two ideas as soon as I read the theme, the first was the one that gave me that "Yup, that's the one" buzz, but is going to get low voted by its nature.

The second would have been more popular, but didn't feel as good so.....

any bragging rights for last place?:)

Last edited:
"Each of the stories in this challenge is centered around the common theme of the main character being an author who then experiences the erotic and/or unusual events he or she writes about."

Better, actually.

Its not so much a complaint as the spirit of the contest.

The word is writers challenge. There is nothing challenging about using a character that has been "in your head" for three years and your that comfortable with.

But I guess it boils down to what some people consider a challenge. For once I agree with Pilot, people should want to rise up, not water down in something like this.

Coming up with new characters is the most fun and least challenging part of writing for me. Keeping their story interesting once they've progressed beyond a certain point is far more challenging.

I was asking the question because it would save me a lot of time to combine this challenge with my current writing focus. I want to participate in the interest of being more active in this community, but I struggle with time slicing. Since this is not a contest, but rather a challenge, I honestly didn't think anyone would care. But I felt that it was more honorable to check first.

However, I'm abandoning my original direction and working another angle that was so thoughtfully handed to me by an early morning plot bunny. If I get this story written in time, I'll use it to promote a future work.

Coming up with new characters is the most fun and least challenging part of writing for me. Keeping their story interesting once they've progressed beyond a certain point is far more challenging.

Same here. I've often said that I don't worry about coming up with an original idea; I just try to give something my own original take.

My story is turning out to be a little more challenging for me than i thought it would. I've got it started, and am about 3k words into it. I can see where it's going, but getting there is going to be a little tricky.

My main problem is that Naoko is my ever-reliable editor, but with her also a part of this challenge, I have to hunt for a new one who can give me a decent turn around time.

I'm on the finishing stages of polishing my idea. Next up, writing it.

My main problem is that Naoko is my ever-reliable editor, but with her also a part of this challenge, I have to hunt for a new one who can give me a decent turn around time.

You could just wing it. ;)

Shut up! Of course I can edit it while writing something myself. In 50 years I learnt a bit of objective perspective :rolleyes:.

Send it along already. LOL. I will prioritise it above this story I'm sitting on in the hopes it might hatch ... oops, that's yours too! ROFL.

:rose:

Shut up! Of course I can edit it while writing something myself. In 50 years I learnt a bit of objective perspective :rolleyes:.

Send it along already. LOL. I will prioritise it above this story I'm sitting on in the hopes it might hatch ... oops, that's yours too! ROFL.

Eh? I thought the point of the challenge was that no one except slyc knows who has written what.

Eh? I thought the point of the challenge was that no one except slyc knows who has written what.

Ssh, ssh, you don't have to tell him you had my editorial support! LOL, I don't think he'll mind one person knowing? Do you? FAWC supremo?

That mainly pertains to the readers (who may lurk here), but you have a point. Perhaps it would be better if you found a second editor, just for this one.

Ultimately, it's up to you, of course.

That mainly pertains to the readers (who may lurk here), but you have a point. Perhaps it would be better if you found a second editor, just for this one.

Ultimately, it's up to you, of course.

Yeah, but LaRascasse's second editor will know he wrote the story, so it's the same thing.

Actually, I don't usually go in and vote on his chapters, LOL. Sorry, babycakes! Only if I hear they're not doing at all well, when I go in and five-bomb them to show the ungrateful Anonymice a thing or two. I could promise not to vote on this one.

Trust me, I'm a Dr.
:devil:

Yeah, but LaRascasse's second editor will know he wrote the story, so it's the same thing.

Actually, I don't usually go in and vote on his chapters, LOL. Sorry, babycakes! Only if I hear they're not doing at all well, when I go in and five-bomb them to show the ungrateful Anonymice a thing or two. I could promise not to vote on this one.

Trust me, I'm a Dr.
:devil:

Like I said, it's ultimately his choice. This is a pretty relaxed challenge. I don't think anything would be skewed by having you edit his story, and really, there's nothing I or anyone can do to enforce anything. ;)

Back