Lily's After Hours Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
You sound like a Grant Morrison fan waiting to happen.
Now I have to wiki Grant Morrison. :x

I would do a thread involving religion.
I'm often doing threads with SF (or aspects thereof) and I have a particular enjoyment for psych games...I love playing me some metabrain or just out and out crazy.

Religion is fun sometimes. (Ok not when your IN it, LOL.) But I've been thinking about a thread. Listen to this.

Steampunk universe. But its not magic. Heres why.

Theres a monastery in the center of a huge city. The monastery hold an organization of scholars who study a hyperintelligent AI. Were talking millions of times smarter than a person. Anyway, it's understanding is such that it can manipulate reality to do its bidding. The people outside have no knowledge of the AI, but worship it as god. The AI chooses individuals that it deems worthy (or useful to its aims) and gives them various powers. (Telekinesis, telepathy, rending the earth, calling down lightning, etc etc.)

Perhaps the AI opens a portal to an alternate reality, or someone from the monastery escapes, or something like that. Anyway, it sounded like fun to me, so yeah. :D

See, thats something I've never understood. Why would hyperintelligent AI (and, really, how would you know one was hyperintelligent and not just really fast?) want anything to do with us?
There's a book by Ian McDonald called River Of Gods that kind of works on that question. The answer being, they wouldn't. And, really, WE wouldn't.
Its actually a really good book, clever ideas, interesting characters, and the man can work language, serious skills.

Have I told you guys about this Talmudic legend I'm kinda obsessed with?
The 36 Tzadikim (or Lamed Vavniks)?

See, thats something I've never understood. Why would hyperintelligent AI (and, really, how would you know one was hyperintelligent and not just really fast?) want anything to do with us?
There's a book by Ian McDonald called River Of Gods that kind of works on that question. The answer being, they wouldn't. And, really, WE wouldn't.
Its actually a really good book, clever ideas, interesting characters, and the man can work language, serious skills.

Well, how would he know. ^_^ It's just a weird idea. If I end up doing it with someone, I would find a reason. There is perhaps a power source that it needs the humans to get too. I dunno. And, I have seen this book at the library. Maybe I will get it.

There is also a series called "The Culture" by Iain M. Banks. and there is a race of AI's (or gods, no one knows) That presides over worlds where a large amount of death has taken place. no one is allowed in or out.

Really, this comes down to me being fascinated by the idea of an advanced society existing right under our noses, excluding us. I want to do something like that.

Anyways, I have a thousand of these little plots that need major development before they are even close to ready. :p

Well, how would he know. ^_^ It's just a weird idea. If I end up doing it with someone, I would find a reason. There is perhaps a power source that it needs the humans to get too. I dunno. And, I have seen this book at the library. Maybe I will get it.

There is also a series called "The Culture" by Iain M. Banks. and there is a race of AI's (or gods, no one knows) That presides over worlds where a large amount of death has taken place. no one is allowed in or out.

Really, this comes down to me being fascinated by the idea of an advanced society existing right under our noses, excluding us. I want to do something like that.

Anyways, I have a thousand of these little plots that need major development before they are even close to ready. :p

I can't remember if I've read something by Banks, but I know I'm SUPPOSED to read something by Banks.
I'm sorry for poking at you too much on it :) Its just an SRP idea :)

There's a similar concept in the "Hob" arc of "Dresden Codak," where an AI loses interest in humanity. They're just not relevant anymore.

So, these 36 are Righteous People. They are, more or less, the reason God lets humanity live, lets it continue to exist. In a very real sense, reality rests on their shoulders.
I've always been fascinated by that sort of bigger idea, that existence is based on these people, that they are tied in to reality in intimate ways. If one were able to find one of these people, and if one had some secret knowledge, what might happen?
Reality might become rather a plaything.
Or, perhaps it couldn't be controlled, but rather influenced. If done right then playing mindgames with the Righteous person, or torturing them might have serious impact in reality

So, these 36 are Righteous People. They are, more or less, the reason God lets humanity live, lets it continue to exist. In a very real sense, reality rests on their shoulders.
I've always been fascinated by that sort of bigger idea, that existence is based on these people, that they are tied in to reality in intimate ways. If one were able to find one of these people, and if one had some secret knowledge, what might happen?
Reality might become rather a plaything.
Or, perhaps it couldn't be controlled, but rather influenced. If done right then playing mindgames with the Righteous person, or torturing them might have serious impact in reality

Hm.

Would the game be to see if one could cause the person to fall from Righteousness, to see if that would bring about The End of Days?

There's a similar concept in the "Hob" arc of "Dresden Codak," where an AI loses interest in humanity. They're just not relevant anymore.

You know what's weird about this? People have confronted this issue with the singularity, and I honestly don't find it all that upsetting. As long as there is *a* mind continuing conscious existence, isn't that the point?

Maybe I'm just a coldhearted bitch though. :)

surrenders

sunglassesatnight.gif

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

You know what's weird about this? People have confronted this issue with the singularity, and I honestly don't find it all that upsetting. As long as there is *a* mind continuing conscious existence, isn't that the point?

Maybe I'm just a coldhearted bitch though. :)

Well, sort of the whole point of the singularity is that nothing before mattered (most writers don't really do this because, well, almost by definition you can't...Stross is the only one I've seen do it really well, and only in Accelerando), so, yeah, at that point, just so long as SOMETHING continues, because the past doesn't really matter

Is this what's also referred to as The Remnant?

Because "Shattered Remnant" could be a cool thread title.

1. Um...not familiar with the word in this context
2. That would be a great title! I'm currently working on a novel called Desolation Angels that, at least when I started it, makes use of this legend, but I think its moved away from it and I'll just write the entire thing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back