Is my writing intimidating?

In a place like this, is it sometimes a disadvantage to be too good? And more specifically, does my writing intimate others? So I thought I might ask all y'all for an informal poll.

Take a look at the two posts linked below. Both of these were written recently when my muse was totally on fire (like to the tune of 2100 words for one of them!). Imagine as you do that you are my writing partner.
  • Would you be afraid that you would disappoint me if your writing was not as good as mine?
  • Would you feel like you had to somehow compete with or at least match my insanely long posts?
  • Do I use words that you don't understand or had to look up in the dictionary? (actually been accused of this, once or twice)

I'm not looking to boost my ego here (trust me, it's big enough already), but I really want to know.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you'll look at my posts and give me your honest opinion.
I used to feel this way and dumbed myself down when I first started writing here but actually you put yourself at a great disadvantage when you do. Some writers get busy with life and disappear then come back and want to continue or reboot said post with you BECAUSE you are a strong writer.

Don’t dumb yourself down though. My writing has actually gotten better because I stopped trying to keep those that weren’t worthy impressed by responding really quickly and ended up with some fantastic writers who don’t mind the wait because they want the detail or the personality that I put into my posts.

Hope this helps!

It seems like the OP isn't here anymore, but, if they are, or they happen to come back, or if anyone else looks to this thread for any kind of advice, I'll add this:

Write for you. Write things you enjoy, in ways you enjoy them. Find people that you mesh well with, that you feel like you can collaborate and be interesting and creative with.

But most importantly, write for you. Because if you don't find it interesting and compelling and enticing, no one else is going to either. Do that, and you'll attract people that want to write with you as you are, and not some simplified version of yourself.

As for writing things that the other person can't respond to, I think there is almost no point at which that is the case. Maybe another character can't react to a dream or a flashback or whatever, but all of it informs who your character is. Details, both interior and exterior, build the world that you and anyone you're writing with are operating in. They may not be able to respond directly, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful. You're building a world! Embrace it.

Write what you're comfortable with in a way you're comfortable with, and do it with someone you can get comfortable with, and then find ways to challenge each other. Whether intentional or not, it's what I did here back in the day, and it led to some really cool things I'm still really proud of.

I could probably go on for hours about how much I enjoyed your first writing example, but you already know you're good.

The real question is why the hell haven't we ever written together before?

That's what I would like to know!

Well from what I can gather, you are a great writer. I could follow your post easily and the only thing that really got to me is the length of your posts. But that is not a reason to really back off and run away.

I think the only reason most of my recent posts borderlines on single-liners, is that I don't want to run away with my cowriter's character. But there is nothing wrong with hashing out a post in PM and then posting it, I have done that in the past and it was fun.

So yeah, no idea why anybody will be afraid of you.

Back