Why does Lit authors not have a meetup or a convention?

This. It also created a "I was there" clique on the Lit. discussion board, resulting in some "we're in; you're out" yammering on the board.
This is a good point. Not thought about that.

Yes there were Litogethers in the past. I attended two and they were great. I met several dozen great people and writers. One sour apple attended the first but wasn't invited back to the second. There was a very large one held in Chicago. It was fun for some and a nightmare for others. Someone outed their enemy list and then some. Some left the host hanging for their bill. The AH lost some very good members because of it.

At one point, I about decided to do a world tour visiting Litsers but life got in the way and time slipped away. I have hosted litsers on their travels around Texas. You know who you are.
I am curious if there were any people there outside of US? I know most of the crowd here is from the States, but it would be quite interesting to hear if someone actually made a trip from a different continent to be there.

Considering the average age around here it would have to wrap up by 5pm, 5:30pm at the latest.
Such a myth. When I was working, I had to try to get to bed early. In retirement, you'll find me still up at 3:00 a.m., and sleeping at 10:00 am.

I am curious if there were any people there outside of US? I know most of the crowd here is from the States, but it would be quite interesting to hear if someone actually made a trip from a different continent to be there.
At the two small ones I attended, no. At the largest one, there were a couple of people from Canada.

Don't tell Tarnished Penny that. She might get offended and you don't want that over your head.

I've already laid way to much about myself bare in the forums that anonymity hangs by a slender thread. I don't think, given my stalker in the past, that I'll give away any more about myself.

An online event would have to deal with all of the planet's heavily-anglophone time zones. Maybe three one-hour telepresences, one every eight hours. That would allow everyone to participate at least once in reasonable condition, in terms of diurnal rhythms.

Yet, what purpose would be served? By this, or an event in person? We're all wordslingers, and we do that just fine with one another in this here forum. The downsides of a Lit-users' convention have already been mentioned, and I sympathize with all of them.

Bring your dictionary and thesaurus and buckle up; it's going to be loquacious jabbering of prodigious proportions. May one with the most bloated vocabulary win.
An online event would have to deal with all of the planet's heavily-anglophone time zones. Maybe three one-hour telepresences, one every eight hours. That would allow everyone to participate at least once in reasonable condition, in terms of diurnal rhythms.

Yet, what purpose would be served? By this, or an event in person? We're all wordslingers, and we do that just fine with one another in this here forum. The downsides of a Lit-users' convention have already been mentioned, and I sympathize with all of them.

Sometimes the words of Linus Van Pelt are so wise:

"I love humanity. It's the people I can't stand."
Or as Sartre put it, "Hell is other people." (Which implies that you and I are Hell for somebody else.) Seriously, I have seen real-life groups migrate to social media. I have never experienced it the other way around. Maybe that's a good thing?

I've already admitted that I am a Buddist monk in Thailand. If this does happen, could it be in some place I could easily reach, like Singapore? How many of us are in southeast Asia?

Back