Stuff

Much Ado About Nothing reminds me of some many things here.

Do other couples throw Shakepseare lines at each other?

That's a play I have near memorized. Saw it on stage with the RSC, and then there's Kenneth Branagh's, which is my favorite. Joss Whedon's was fun, but they cut out my favorite line:

LEONATO: Neighbours, you are tedious.

DOGBERRY: It pleases your worship to say so, but we are the poor duke's officers; but truly, for mine own part, if I were as tedious as a king, I could find it in my heart to bestow it all of your worship.

LEONATO All thy tediousness on me, ah?

Even Nathan as Dogberry couldn't make up for that script butchery.

Go to, go to, Whedon.

Midsummer's Night Dream is great for banter too. It also has the quintessential Shakespearean meta line - if an actor forgets his lines, to let other cast members know you say "I am amazed and know not what to say" or some more modern version.

tumblr_nkzdcqErBK1rqbb42o1_540.png

Branagh's Hamlet does a convincing job in Ophelia's being driven to madness.

I liked Branagh's Hamlet in a great many ways, don't know that I'd say this about it though.

(Branagh does kill the absolute fuck out of the to be or not to be speech, of course, though I'd still love to see it done as the scene written just once. :D I have to admit the pre-intermission soliloquy was a bit of a face-palm moment for me in the theatre.)

I liked Branagh's Hamlet in a great many ways, don't know that I'd say this about it though.

(Branagh does kill the absolute fuck out of the to be or not to be speech, of course, though I'd still love to see it done as the scene written just once. :D I have to admit the pre-intermission soliloquy was a bit of a face-palm moment for me in the theatre.)

I think the absolute best is David Tennant because he gets in teen angst, youth, silence, pacing and he reminds you that Hamlet is a freaked out teenager. I adore actors who use silence so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYZHb2xo0OI

We are of course not going to discuss Mel Gibson.

For sure Tennant's a very proficient example of the "yes he's really existentially conflicted at this point for some reason" school, though I'm not that into that approach and I do like that Branagh avoids it.

And these of course there's this version...

I love this guy. I was lucky enough to see him in Princeton when he performed "Acting Shakespeare"

I got to be on stage with him and he put his hand on my shoulder!

I have washed it since then...but I didn't wanna.

Did you mention to him that you knew John Williams?

For sure Tennant's a very proficient example of the "yes he's really existentially conflicted at this point for some reason" school, though I'm not that into that approach and I do like that Branagh avoids it.

And these of course there's this version...

OH...I hated this version. I tried to watch this documentary and I found it so unbelievably pretentious.

Same with Looking for Richard with Al Pacino, it was only worth watching for all the people who did it graciously and better than he did and he learned nothing from it...

It's absolutely terrible.

OH...I hated this version. I tried to watch this documentary and I found it so unbelievably pretentious.

I thought the choice of doing it in a Blockbuster resonated with the poetry in an interesting way... and was a nice quaint period setting. :D

Hawke's delivery is appalling, of course. I wish modern actors would remember that Shakespeare's writing is poetry and that it's okay to keep that in mind when you're speaking it.

I thought the choice of doing it in a Blockbuster resonated with the poetry in an interesting way... and was a nice quaint period setting. :D

Hawke's delivery is appalling, of course.

I can't even hate him. He's not worthy of hate and that is sad, but true.

It's a Landover Baptist parody, I think. Admittedly sometimes it can be hard to tell.

My recent fave for actual Christian douchebaggery is this guy:

shambling%20mound.gif

Win Worley, who recently preached against Dungeons & Dragons and its "occult demons."

I mean, really. Dungeons and Dragons? Are they letting just anyone in on this retro-Eighties kick, now?

Seems to me pastor Win may have his own demons to worry about. I'd say an exorcism would be in order directed specifically at A & W, Baskin – Robbins, Ben and Jerry’s, Dave and Buster’s, Steak and Shake, biscuits and gravy, chicken and dumplings, mac and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs.....

Seems to me pastor Win may have his own demons to worry about. I'd say an exorcism would be in order directed specifically at A & W, Baskin – Robbins, Ben and Jerry’s, Dave and Buster’s, Steak and Shake, biscuits and gravy, chicken and dumplings, mac and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs.....

*is eating mac and cheese*

*pauses*

*stares at mac and cheese accusingly*

I can't stay mad at you.

*is eating mac and cheese*

Eat that pork.
Eat that ham.

Laugh 'til you choke on Billy Graham.

mmmmmmm biscuits and gravy.

Add a chicken fried steak and now we're talking!!

Extract from the Globe production of Much Ado About Nothing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkmSIy8PayY

I love that play so much. And I love seeing people have much more fun with it.

It's supposed to be fun!

I remember seeing the RSC do the play and hearing the language so much more clearly. "Civil as an orange" didn't make sense until Sinead Cusack pronounced it "Seville as an orange"

OH! I get it now!

Back