Pondering Thread

XXplorher said:
I love that AV, man. That's beautiful.

I thought you were going to say something incredible. You didn't. But still... I really like that AV. One of the best I've ever seen.

THAT... is romance.


So is she. ;)

John Mayer's "Daughters" makes me cry... every damned time.

I just learned what the word "hirsute" means. Swear to god. How did that one escape my radar for 37 years??
 
Today, I am pondering how someone can be considerate and inconsiderate simultaneously.

:confused:
 
Today I'm pondering whether the world will ever wake up and see through the puppet democracies we have in place.

I'm also pondering how expendable ordinary people like you and me are considered - and whether we'll ever know about the countless sociological and biological experiments we're put through in a lifetime.
 
It sounds silly and dangerously close to something you might hear being "pondered" on Teletubbies, but I really wonder what happens when someone who used to get a lot of hugs no longer gets them.
Do you forget how to enjoy them? Do you forget even how to ask for them?
What happens if you want them but there's really no one around to give them to you? What if you forget how to touch people? Just normal touching. Not even the sex kind.
What if people never touch you?
 
bluebell7 said:
It sounds silly and dangerously close to something you might hear being "pondered" on Teletubbies, but I really wonder what happens when someone who used to get a lot of hugs no longer gets them.
Do you forget how to enjoy them? Do you forget even how to ask for them?
What happens if you want them but there's really no one around to give them to you? What if you forget how to touch people? Just normal touching. Not even the sex kind.
What if people never touch you?
It doesn't sound silly to me........I miss them a great deal......a fleece blanket just isn't the same
 
I am pondering "learned helplessness" ...

Some people are paralyzed by fear; some by denial. But many others are immobilized by an apathy that strips away the emotional will to act in self-defense.

In psychological terms, apathy is a state of constant indifference that is generally associated with depression. Apathy leaves an individual unresponsive to the world and creates a disconnect between what he believes, how he feels and which actions he takes.

...

Part of the complex answer lies in what psychologists call 'object specific' apathy. That is, a person's numbness is directed toward a specific situation and may not be manifested in other areas of his life. The same man who is passionate about music or his wife may feel impotent in the area of demanding or even wanting his own freedom.

This response is a form of 'learned helplessness.' It is 'learned' because the response comes from relentlessly teaching an individual that he has no control over a situation and, so, his efforts are futile.

The original and now-famous experiment from which the term 'learned helplessness' derives involved shocking dogs with electricity until they developed the psychology of submission. When applied to human beings, 'learned helplessness' is most often used to describe people who have been institutionalized, for example, in prisons, mental institutions or orphanages. There, the regimentation strips an individual of the smallest choice and punishes the expression of preference. In time, many institutionalized people accept the inevitability of their environment. Some of them lose all ability to feel their own preferences.

The depth of learned helplessness that comes from being institutionalized is rare. But most of us absorb a degree of this apathy through constant exposure to a society that attempts to control almost every choice in daily life: smoking, eating fast food, gun ownership, telling a rude joke at work, marriage and divorce, boarding an airplane, medical care, banking…making a phone call. It is difficult to find a choice that isn't scrutinized by bureaucracy and covered by some form of government control. The message is clear: Conformity is rewarded; the 'wrong' choices are punished or otherwise discouraged. The public school system is just one example of what could be called the institutionalizing or bureaucratizing of daily life.

The Castle, a brilliant novel by Franz Kafka, offers a window into what happens to the psychology of a man who confronts bureaucracy. Due a mistake in paperwork, the main character K. is summoned to work in a village as a surveyor but ends up as a janitor. The Castle is the summoning authority with which K. must but cannot deal because he cannot contact the proper official. K.'s long and agonizing exercise in futility reveals the impact that bureaucracy has upon the human soul: it deadens.

K.'s error was to accept the authority of The Castle in the first place.

The foregoing observation contains good news: bureaucracy and authority require consent. And, if that consent is learned behavior, then it can also be unlearned.

Something within the human spirit seems to want to shake off destructive programming. Call it a survival instinct. Perhaps it is the inbred urge revealed by every two-year-old who yells 'no' over and over again for the simple joy of exercising veto over his own life.

Adults need to recapture the childlike joy and power of saying 'no.' The words most feared by those in authority are 'I won't.' Individuals with the habit of obedience may need to start by saying 'no' on small matters like refusing to fill in racial information on application forms. They may be shocked by how difficult it is to say 'I won't' even to petty demands. But the difficulty is a sign of how important it is. Only when a person is able to say 'no' can he say 'yes' and have the word mean more that the obedient response of a servant. 'Yes' is properly the affirmation of a free man.
 
They don't hardly make 'em like Kafka any more, man.

Have you read Bad Monkeys or um Sewer, Gas and Electric? By a guy called Matt Ruff.
 
Hold it right

What is this strangled desire of mine to keep small, special secrets? Tiny mementos, words, songs, scraps of paper with heart phrases written on them? Memories and vows and confessions and specks of scary blackness?
Why is there a trap door to all those things? And why do I always want to keep my hand cupped around that small burn inside? Keep it little so no one knows it's there and won't be able to snicker at me.
 
Picture Pooh sitting there stroking his chin, going think, think, think ....


That is serious pondering :D
 
I've been pondering growth as in personal growth.
This month is my five year anniversary.
I've been looking back at where I was and who I was when I came here.
I can see the places I've been, my time in the realm of my darkness, the laughter, the friends I've made and the incredible people I've met. How all these things factored into molding me.
It was a difficult journey at times, but a needed one.
I've faced some god awful fears.
I've waded through the layers of my complexities and pain, both physical and emotional.
I've grown as a writer.
And...I've surprised myself at times.
This place...this community has been amazing at times.

I've grown.
It was difficult to see at times, but now I have this clarity.
the darkness that was so comforting is a shadow now. Though it was hell being there at times, it was a wellspring of creative thought and took me to some scary awesome places.
the light is where I am right now. Its warm and bright and damn but the colors are fine.
I like it here.
I like who I've become.
 
Simple thoughts...

I'm pondering names.

Two middle names (or two first names) two too many?
 
Back
Top