Let's talk about *documentaries* 🧐👀

Has anyone seen the mermaid “mockumentary” film? It was advertised as real but then the producers admitted it was fake. The girl I babysat watched it and was captivated by it. I, on the other hand, knew it had to be fake.

I love documentaries, especially about history. I saw Ken Burns' The Civil War (about the U.S. civil war) as a kid and it fundamentally altered my life. There's a lot of good Canadian history documentaries on the site of Canada's National Film Board, and there's lots of good ones.

I recently came across an early 80's documentary series called Notes on War by Gwynne Dyer, a Newfoundland documentarian. It looked at every aspect of then-modern war. He would go absolutely philosophical and it would blow your mind.

On a less esoteric level, I just watched a Netflix documentary where famous people talked about their experiences taking LSD, magic mushrooms, etc. Fascinating stuff.

I started watching "Don't pick up the phone"...another thing I never heard about.
On netflix. anyone watching it?! I can't believe how gullible people can be.

Just finished watching Dropout. Man it was good. It’s like Becoming Anna in that it’s an acted out series (with some damned good actors), but a pretty accurate portrayal of real events.

I started watching "Don't pick up the phone"...another thing I never heard about.
On netflix. anyone watching it?! I can't believe how gullible people can be.

There was a movie about this several years back called Compliance. Quite interesting.

Just finished watching California Typewriter on Amazon's Freevee channel. And before that, The Booksellers. Both were good!

Has anyone seen Life In Color on netflix? They actually show David Attenborough...

I keep waiting for the voiceover to turn into Morgan Freeman and it start to comment on David Attenborough... here we have a 95 year old british human whos gray vest plays an important role in calming down other animals...

Just finished watching Dropout. Man it was good. It’s like Becoming Anna in that it’s an acted out series (with some damned good actors), but a pretty accurate portrayal of real events.

There was a movie about this several years back called Compliance. Quite interesting.
I haven't watch it. I haven't finish the documentary either

I absolutely love the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. It is so disheartening to go to there today, and see those frames still hanging empty 30+ years later. 🙁

Native Bostonian here. That museum’s Venetian atrium is one of my sacred places on this earth. I am changed by being there.

Someday, those stolen works will be recovered. It’s only a matter of time.
I like to reflect on the empty frames when I am there: think of the loss, of the importance of art in our lives, and imagine the joy once they are returned to their home.

I absolutely love the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. It is so disheartening to go to there today, and see those frames still hanging empty 30+ years later. 🙁

Native Bostonian here. That museum’s Venetian atrium is one of my sacred places on this earth. I am changed by being there.

Someday, those stolen works will be recovered. It’s only a matter of time.
I like to reflect on the empty frames when I am there: think of the loss, of the importance of art in our lives, and imagine the joy once they are returned to their home.

I’ve been fortunate to be able to visit a couple of times and echo both of these sentiments. There’s something so surreal about looking at those empty frames and letting your mind drift.

• Love
Reactions: gga
This will sound weird. I've recently been bingeing on people who have been killed by bears. It's not like I went looking for it. One day a video showed up in YT about a death by grizzly. One of my thoughts is why are people so stupid to go out in the wild without a gun and alone. Why do people think a grizzly can't go through an RV? Maybe it goes by to the day decades ago when I was driving through Sam Houston National Forest when I saw a bear. :)
I assume you’ve seen the Doc on Timothy Treadwell? He’s probably the most famous/infamous bear victim. If not here is the link:

PBS did a fantastic Documentary back around ‘93 A Fighter Pilots Story. It’s a story of a young man who goes to flight school after the bombing of Pearl Harbour, meets his future wife while in training and then goes off to war. The story is told from the perspective of their love letters sent back and forth. It’s amazing. You can get the DVD off of PBS last time i checked.

Sr. Awesome tribute of Robert Downey Jr to his dad. This one will stay with me for a long time. I love the guy (even before Iron Man). Chaplin. Less Than Zero. Anyway, what a touching movie and wants me want to go back and watch a lot of the movies his dad did now that we’re mentioned in this one.

Won’t you be my Neighbor. Hard not to want to watch this if Mr Rogers helped you through your formative years. Very cool to see that with Mr Rogers what you see is what you got. I don’t think a host could do a show and have this level of impact. He really came at an amazing time when tv was going in to more homes and influencing people.

For the Love of Spock. I am a huge Trek fan so this was a fascinating way to get to know more about Spock and Leonard Nimoy. Great film. Was good to see his family life and his history. Amazing actor and character.

Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker. Interesting but also very disturbing and sad. Kind of makes me wonder if the publicity helped create this guy. Weird and hard to not look away like a car wreck.

I really like documentaries as well and it’s very interesting to hear what all people are watching and what feelings they had about them. These are all on Netflix for now.

I like ones that I have an interest in, so some football ones, but I recently watched the George Michael one he made just before he died and if you liked his music then that’s definitely worth a watch

OK, this isn't *actually* a documentary (well sort of). I love documentaries. I especially love BBC ones (they do it so well).
This is a "Mockumentary" in that style. It is awesome. She did one in 2016 (Cunk on Britain).
Absolutely fantastic. I want to see the out-takes from the "expert" sections how they both managed to keep a straight face.
There is an old classic April fools from well back in the day
Panorama was and still is a flagship current affairs program on the BBC

Recently I watched the docuseries The Geography of Bliss hosted by Rainn Wilson. I read the book last year, written by Eric Weiner, and I was excited to see it made into a series.

I wish it was longer and featured more countries, and hope for a second season. RW travels around the world to find out what happiness looks like in different countries.

When I read the book, Iceland stuck out to me and I've adapted to a saying that they discussed in the book and also in the series which is ‘þetta reddast’, which roughly translates to the idea that everything will work out all right in the end.

Adapting to that mindset and not being overwhelmed with possibilities has saved my sanity numerous times. I think it's a fantastic motto to live by.

Back