Anime!

I just looked at the trailer and read through the Wiki summary. I agree. Brutal.

I’m not a connoisseur, but I’ve enjoyed some of the Studio Ghibli movies, as well as Cowboy Bebop.

I thought that Ranma ½ was clever and pretty funny. Great if you are looking for something light-hearted.

Ranma 1/2, an Anime YEARS Ahead of It's Time
Great video! I'd never thought deeply about how subversive Ranma is about gender but he's totally right.

Ranma 1/2 was one of the first animes I fell in love with. I audibly giggled when he got to Ryoga and Pichan! I still think of Ukyo when I have Okonomiyaki.

I just started watching the original Dragonball series on Hulu. This is the uncut Japanese version with subtitles, not the edited for American television dubbed version. I remember watching the dubbed version on Toonami in the early 2000s but never got too far into it. Reading subtitles isn't something that I enjoy, but I love seeing the original editions of Japanese shows after seeing what the American versions were like.

In the past year, I've gone back and watched the Super Sentai versions of what was used for seasons 1 through 3 of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. The comparison of the original to the MMPR was quite interesting, especially from the story narrative stand point.
Sadly, I just learned that Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragonball, has died.

He was only 68. :cry:

My daughters partner reads Manga comics. I don't know much about them, but an adult woman reading comics is endearing.

I have a disturbing love for an obscure one called Rin Daughters Of Mnemosyne

I want to say I'm picky with my anime but then I watch dragonball z and Naruto so...

Lately it's been invincible and x men 97..nit anime but good

I just discovered Panty & Stocking.

Oh my. The animation is beautiful, but the subject matter … is challenging.

I’m appalled with myself, but I feel compelled to watch all of it just to see how far they go.

Some good recommendations here. quite a few among them I liked.

But two of my most fav are
Initial D
Hajime No Ippo

I actually got introduced to anime when I first saw live action of Initial D.
I absolutely love Initial D. Partly for the music, and partly because the external bullshit is kept to a minimum. It's all about racing.

I'm pretty sure Gundam Wing and Evangelion were some of my first anime to watch in middle school. Kill La Kill was what I used to introduce my now wife into it (pretty much threw her into the deep end there) so that one is a bit special for me too. High School DxD is another guilty favorite.

As for lately, I haven't watched as much as I used to. I finished Gundam The Witch From Mercury and enjoyed that one. Finally finished Attack on Titan, still not sure how I feel about that one.

I need to sit down and start working through my huge backlog...

I just discovered Panty & Stocking.

Oh my. The animation is beautiful, but the subject matter … is challenging.

I’m appalled with myself, but I feel compelled to watch all of it just to see how far they go.
It's worth suffering through the vomit and booger episodes to get to D City Rock!

1713138869759.png

Last edited:
Evangelion is one of my personal favorite, and the theme for my only current tattoo, though wanting to get more, we shall see.

It is an older show and definitely takes some cues from Eva, but stands in its own right and I think is worth anyone who enjoyed Eva to check is Rah Xephon. Just a great series.

Right now I am watching through Solo Leveling. Enjoying it, but I haven't found something that just sucked me in in a while, but I will take solo leveling until I find what scratches the itch.

Back