Idea for a Manga/Anime style thread

BlackApollo

Experienced
I had an idea for a manga/Anime thread. Sex can be involved but I find the hentai extreams to be pretty cheezy 98% of the time. Been reading/watching stuff like Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Blade of the Immortal, Evangelion, Appleseed and Macross Plus. Thought it might be cool to do something with a bit of a cyberpunk edge in one of these worlds or to just make one up as we go along. (BTW I love world creation, yep I am a geek alright ;)

I'm thinking of at least 3 or 4 people with diffrent areas of expertise working for some sort of investigation/espionage organization, with a specialty in one or two areas like medicine, hacking, combat etc. Also a few antagonist that can be either within the group or outside it to provide the proper amount of intrigue, suspence paranoia and the big 'C' conflict.

As far as stuff like super powers go, I don't mind them as long as they are subtle, more Akira than Dragon BallZ. Same with mecha, although I would like to keep mobile suites and powerarmor like stuff in the background.

if you are interested post in this thread and we will see what happens.

peace

sounds like an interesting idea to begin with to me. I'm not sure exactly what I'd do in it though. Have to think about that.

Sounds cool! I wouldn't being a Batou sort of character (Anime, not the Manga) a tooled up Cyborg Killing Machine, but quite human, with a conscience and more of a trooper than a leader type.

I do think we need to decide whether it will have sex in it. Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell both use a lot of sexual tension in them (there's a lot of stuff in the Manga about Kusanagi being a Lesbian which was never in the Anime) and it would be easy to bring that out into the foreground a little more without making it Hentai, necessarily.

If there IS no sex, of course, we need to move this thread to the ORP board, rather than the SRP board. I'd still be interested, either way.

Hmmm....I personally would prefer a sexy version. Hentai covers a very wide range of stories in Japan, many of which I agree are cheezy rubbish....but I'm living in Japan and sometimes I see movies which are hentai, but definitely not cheezy. It's all a matter of what the concept is, and how silly and over-the-top that you want to go.

I loved Akira though, and Ghost in the Shell was great. Evangelion was too slow for me (I lost interest after a dozen episodes of constant angst).

I like Steiner's concept of the killing machine character; I'd love to play a character alongside somebody like that...softer, feminine, sexy as hell, but very effective in her particular specialty.

Like you I also love world-creation, but I don't believe there's anything geeky about it at all....it's very hard work to make a good world.

I'm interested. I would love to bring in a bit of darker sensuality to it. Maybe with a character like Myu

This sounds like a fun thread and I'd be interested in it, sex or not.

I'm a big fan of Outlaw Star and I would like to play the same mechanic/hacker type of character as Jim Hawkins (without all the space travel of course). I like the idea of a cyberpunk world; the neo-future settings are always cool. :D

That sounds great, Lovelynice - I'd be totally up for writing with you like that!

Once BA posts up with more detail about his idea we should put our heads together and work out some details!

This sounds like it could develop into a very, very good thing.

We'll need a small team of "trying-to-be-goods" (and possibly not doing so well at that..since being ruthless wins)

We'll also need some genuine nasties, and a really cool plot.

I'm definitely considering the idea thoroughly, but I think I tend towards the badguy type character.

I'm having a lot of fun playing a Tentacled Monster on Hot Wet Planet and related threads (even Morgoth's "I have returned!" on the ORP). Been trying to get a hold of more hentai videos, because I never looked at many before at all. I think some of the cheezy quality is due to poor translation though, sometimes there are some very interesting ideas; but translated horribly in the American-versions.

Playing some other distinctly non-human character would be attractive to me. Even an AI super-computer.

I'd be interested; I'm a fan of things like X and Blade of the Immortal.

As far as sex goes, I'm an in-betweener ( ~pauses to consider possible innuendo~); threads with no sex point blank are a little dull, but so are plotless sexual free-for-alls.

Wow - we seem to have a lot of what we'd need!

It'd be nice to have Black Apollo come back with some of his ideas - we really need to sort out who's in the team, who's an interested freelancer and who are the antagonists of our little game.

Perhaps for now we should assume there'll be some sort of conflict and work out what sides we want to be on? There seems to be ample room for Aliens, Robots, Psychics and Cyborgs in this mix! Working out some basic character relationships - as Lovelynice and I have - would also be good. Remember that in Anime there's almost no such thing as a coincidence that's too bizarre. Short notice co-workers are ALWAYS either childhood sweethearts who lost contact or rivals... :)

Let's hear it - the more involuted and twisted our relationships the better the roleplaying will be! :)

I'll defiantely join in on this idea, been a massive fan of Japanimation for years now. Actually have a char from a former thread that could be used pretty well here. If anyone remembers the Serbera thread that MT and I had done months back you'll know this guy

Ezekial Williams aka Zeke
6'6 nearly 290 pounds
blood red hair and black eyes due to the cybernetic enhancements running through him. Has a Gamma system in his skull which allows him to hack using his own brain as the computer and modem all he needs is a jack line. Has small enhancements all through his body adding to his strength, speed and endurance as well as adding to his knowledge in martial arts. His eyes have enhancements to give him near pinpoint accuracy with any weapon.

Hopefully he passes inspection, because he is a ball to play when I get in the right mindset since he is a rogue and hates gov't of any kind and will rebel against the authority that has been placed above anyone.

Maniac's character;
((he is a rogue and hates gov't of any kind and will rebel against the authority that has been placed above anyone.))

In other words, he could play either a good guy or a bad guy...

........and it would be very hard to tell the difference.

yep the joys of him.....he's pretty much like a merc what ever he feels is the right path for him he follows so he's one you gotta keep an eye on

Kamai, the Knight of Ghost and Shadows

He generally wears a featureless white mask over his face, and a black bodysuit of armour, with a cloak. He carries the great daiklave Peace. His hair is long and dark and falls to his shoulder

Word has it that the Knight was once a duellist on the street, fighting strange battles in abandoned car and hoverlots and stations to determine points in the archaic gang honour of the lower city. That all changed the day he first heard the voices, the day his little sister disappeared.

Kamai is a psychic, sensitive to spirits of the world around him. In the lower city he hears the spirits of broken machines and slow, old computers, in the heights he hears spirits of greed and high technology. And always, somewhere, he hears the echo of the cry of his sister Jaia, disappeared none know where on the day he first heard the voices. The Knight searches for her, using fair means or foul as required to continue his hopeless, visionary quest

Okay, very rough sketch. I'll do more on him, and maybe change a few things later. Let me know if he works with the setting

Looking at what we have here so far, there's room for more than two sides...the relationships could be VERY complex.

I really do hope that BlackApollo comes back with his POV, but in any case, I myself and going to start thinking very seriously about a character for this idea.

It might be a good idea for folks to start thinking about what they want in the background world too, what kind of place it is, so everything fits.

I think maybe I will jump into this afterall. But you need some more women. Goodies and Baddies. Make it equal.
Any thoughts on how to encourage that?

I thinking the background world should fall under the lines of the old BladeRunner film (love that movie!! If you haven't seen it go rent it, excellent flick...Harrison Ford playing a bad-ass) Dark, seedy, seemingly blurred lines between what is good and what is wrong.

I like the idea of a Bladerunnerish type city. Personally, what I'm aiming for with my char's feel and background is a sort of science fantasy type setting, like the Book of the New Sun or the later Final Fantasy games. Swords and spirits alongside guns and AIs, mysticism and technology. That sort of thing. I'll write up more on him as soon as we have a firmer footing on the setting itself

LovelyNice and I are kicking around a few ideas at the moment along the lines Lethe mentions. Basically we're suggesting a Cyberpunk type world, set in a Bladerunner like city - but one which has these Psi Talents in it. Psi Talent can manifest in a zillion different ways - of course, it could look like spirits, magic or something similar.

Id be interested in this sort of thing too. If your lookin for Cyberpunk the best example i know is the Bubblegum crisis films as for including Psi talents there is a film i can think of but not its name dammit.

I guess something like Akira would be a good influence here too.

It sounds like Manic needs a partner for his little anti-government rebellion. :D

James Lander

A jack-of-all-trades with multiple skills like chemistry, strategy, weaponry, inventing, thieving, and basic arcane knowledge. He is very intelligent, but has the maturity of someone half his age. He would get on Zeke's nerves a lot, but they'd be close, brother-like. Likes to speed around on roller blades. Psi talents are still under construction.

Unless you want to be more of a lone-wolf character, Maniac, I'll be your partner in crime. Playing the part of an anti-establishment group could be very fun, like Avalanche from FF7.

It seems this WORLD that's being discussed might be multi-layered in it's appearance.

What about a cyberpunk near-future (+10 to +20 years) where the existence of the super-tech cyber-enhanced agents and super-Psi Mystics is unknown to the general population?

In the public apsect of the world, things are advanced, but the mysticism is assumed by many to be simple crazy cults and superstition. Cyber-enhancements are only common for special purposes, such as fixing physical disabilities, with a few hints of higher technology being researched.

In the shadowy world of espionage and international power-plays, super-cybered agents and the much rarer super-Psi mystics are the frontline of a secret war; maybe with 3 sides, including two great power-blocs, and the rebels who dislike both and shake-down the whole power-structure.

How does this sound?

I'm wondering about the spirits angle though, how would that fit in?

Is all this part of a build-up to an apocalyptic war that involves the spirit-world too?

Back