Your favourite 'dating advice' from popular media.

TheRedChamber

Apprentice
So I'm currently writing a story in which an ordinary Joe gets his shot at a Playboy bunny 'in the wild'. I'm revising a section where he may consider switcing attention to a still very nice girl who is a bit more in his league and I was reminded of this scene from 'A Beautiful Mind'. Not exactly Hollywoods most romantic moment, but certainly an indiciate of a certain style of male dating strategy.

So what are your favourite examples of good dating advice for the media and Internet. And (given this is always going to break out into an argument anywhere) what are the worst?

A bonus and less cynical example - not just a swinging beat but actually good advice - how often does that happen in pop music.

The whole idea that once you "find love" it's all happily ever after. Sorry, but that's when the hard work begins. Also, the idea that relationships always succeed as long as you work hard enough.

Noboby in movies or TV is ever direct about what they want. There's always some elaborate ritual to avoid having an honest conversation with their partner under any circumstances.

Well, there is the "Wanna fuck?" scene in Jackie Brown, but that might be an exception that proves the rule.

From the movie "MoonStruck"
Ronny Camarrareri:
Yeah. Everything seems like nothing to me now against I want you in my bed. I don't care if I burn in hell. I don't care if you burn in hell. The Past and the Future is a joke to me now. I see that they're nothin'. I see they ain't here. The only thing that's here is you - and me...Come upstairs. I don't care why you come. No, that's not what I mean. Loretta, I love you. Not, not like they told you love is and I didn't know this either. But love don't make things nice, it ruins everything! It breaks your heart, it makes things a mess. We, we aren't here to make things perfect. Snowflakes are perfect, stars are perfect. Not us! Not US! We are here to ruin ourselves and, and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and, and die! I mean that the storybooks are bullshit. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and, and get in my bed.

Comshaw

Noboby in movies or TV is ever direct about what they want. There's always some elaborate ritual to avoid having an honest conversation with their partner under any circumstances.
<sigh> Yeah, and I grew up immersed in that, thinking it was actually a hard and fast rule...

So I'm currently writing a story in which an ordinary Joe gets his shot at a Playboy bunny 'in the wild'. I'm revising a section where he may consider switcing attention to a still very nice girl who is a bit more in his league and I was reminded of this scene from 'A Beautiful Mind'. Not exactly Hollywoods most romantic moment, but certainly an indiciate of a certain style of male dating strategy.

So what are your favourite examples of good dating advice for the media and Internet. And (given this is always going to break out into an argument anywhere) what are the worst?

A bonus and less cynical example - not just a swinging beat but actually good advice - how often does that happen in pop music.

If you're looking for advice for the guy, check out Marni Kinrys. She calls herself your wing girl.

Back